SWFC Finances - A major worry?

Admittedly it’s a few years ago, but I was involved with trying to help finance the purchase of a football club who’s wage/income was 158%. It quickly fell into administration. I have very serious concerns for our future.

I’ve no idea if the figure of £100k per day is correct, but that’s in no way sustainable pre-covid, let alone now

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Themagiccap said:

Ouch.

there was an article on the Daily Mail yesterday implying that championship clubs would be asked to vote on an £18M wage cap for players over 21 years old (£2.5M in league 1 and £1.25M) in league 2. Any preexisting contract would count as a league average of £720K per year.

We'd be in a pickle with around £12m-£13m already committed to next year's returnees.

A wage cap at any level would both be welcome and cause a major earthquake throughout football. 

Thank you for this - I missed that news

Yeah that would be massive

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

True

That was pre-covid and pre fans not paying for tickets

This is a massive additional burden

No way is this sustainable mate. Something will give, and soon because of Covid in my opinion. If supporters are not allowed in stadiums next season, and I cannot see how they will be, then clubs are looking at another 12 months with zero income, plus having to repay season tickets already purchased. I think wears looking at disaster for clubs outside the premier league. 

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

No way is this sustainable mate. Something will give, and soon because of Covid in my opinion. If supporters are not allowed in stadiums next season, and I cannot see how they will be, then clubs are looking at another 12 months with zero income, plus having to repay season tickets already purchased. I think wears looking at disaster for clubs outside the premier league. 

Can't DC just raise ticket prices to cover the shortfall? Seems like the obvious solution

:Chansiri:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Themagiccap said:

A wage cap at any level would both be welcome and cause a major earthquake throughout football. 

This whole coronavirus situation could be the last straw to force a new way of thinking. Even the PL clubs are not safe.

Currently there's nothing suggesting that the new season would start in any better atmosphere than this old one is closed. In fact, it's probably going to be much worse in terms of health of clubs.

Football had a chance after the ITV digital issue to recalibrate. It didn’t, and things have got worse. I’ve no sympathy. The only thing that may address the issue is a big club going under. With respect, the likes of Maidstone, Bury etc don’t have any impact.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I see wigan and ourselves are running at 168% and they have just gone into administration. We are joint 3rd worst in the league for income vs expense, yet the worst in the league or goals scored at home. Nice

2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I see wigan and ourselves are running at 168% and they have just gone into administration. We are joint 3rd worst in the league for income vs expense, yet the worst in the league or goals scored at home. Nice

It's because we've spaffed zillions of pounds on players who just can't handle being booed onto the pitch whilst the crowd sings for players who have been banished and who have systematically ruined the club from the inside

We need to try and find players who want to play in that kind of atmosphere

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

So the entire Championship is paying the players 105% of it's total income without taking any other expenses into account !? 

Well, that makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Its rubbish but every club is responsible for its own finances.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It's because we've spaffed zillions of pounds on players who just can't handle being booed onto the pitch whilst the crowd sings for players who have been banished and who have systematically ruined the club from the inside

We need to try and find players who want to play in that kind of atmosphere

must be loads of players queuing up for that, sounds great .....😒