Gary Bennett that tackle

I was there..appreciate Vulvas comment about it being a 45'000 crowd though!. I was halfway up the kop at that side and didn't hear anything.

Also on the crowd thing  the 6-1 in the blizzard against Swansea..everybody was at that one as well, although I only remember seeing about 1000 on the kop huddled together from my cosy South Stand seat . 

Guest Grandad

I was right behind the dugout. Heard the crack it was horrific. Alan Smith was up off the bench immediately pleading with the linesman to get him on the pitch

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

I’ll be honest, I don’t really remember much about the incident. Reading this article though strikes me as nothing but self-pity and how it  affected “me me me”. Bordering sociopathic.

8 hours ago, paulvcooke said:

Ancient article, but even after all these years.......scumbag. Deliberate and successful attempt to injure someone, football or not, should have been arrested.

Not watching the YouTube video, I have no interest of reliving it, was on the Kop that night, awful. You knew something was badly wrong when you tell that Chapman was crying. 

Also went to the first game, that was tasty off the pitch. Remember getting back to our minibus and breathing a sigh a relief that it was still intact as we had passed a 'Sheffield Van Hire' minibus that was on its roof.....

Away end was broken railway sleepers and lots and handy sized broken bricks. Away turnstile was an old bloke sat at a trestle table and a tupperware box full of coins. Utter shambles.

Chester had a reputation really !

1 hour ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

What a good player we lost that night ,He was looking like an England international ,To lose him and losing his career ,Was so sad for both parties .

Exactly my thoughts.  We'd become accustomed to good centre backs back then, Lyons, Shirtliff, Mark Smith, Madden but Ian Knight oozed class, very stylish and was good on the ball (especially for a cb) looked every bit an international in the making.

I've been watching Wednesday since 1980, played a load of Sunday morning stuff myself; have seen broken legs, broken arms, dislocated joints, 20 man brawls but that assault is the worst thing I have seen on a football pitch.

13 hours ago, vulva said:

Not checked the records on this one but was the crowd 45,000? Only reason I ask is that everyone seems to have heard a crack from where they were sat. 

To be fair the sound would echo more in emptier surroundings 

9 hours ago, paulvcooke said:

Ancient article, but even after all these years.......scumbag. Deliberate and successful attempt to injure someone, football or not, should have been arrested.

Not watching the YouTube video, I have no interest of reliving it, was on the Kop that night, awful. You knew something was badly wrong when you tell that Chapman was crying. 

Also went to the first game, that was tasty off the pitch. Remember getting back to our minibus and breathing a sigh a relief that it was still intact as we had passed a 'Sheffield Van Hire' minibus that was on its roof.....

Away end was broken railway sleepers and lots and handy sized broken bricks. Away turnstile was an old bloke sat at a trestle table and a tupperware box full of coins. Utter shambles.

Was that sealand road ? I get mixed up because they changed grounds in the 80s at some point didnt they ? 

Guest paulvcooke
11 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Was that sealand road ? I get mixed up because they changed grounds in the 80s at some point didnt they ? 

Yep, Sealand Road. A dump even by the low standards of the time.

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

I was there..appreciate Vulvas comment about it being a 45'000 crowd though!. I was halfway up the kop at that side and didn't hear anything.

Also on the crowd thing  the 6-1 in the blizzard against Swansea..everybody was at that one as well, although I only remember seeing about 1000 on the kop huddled together from my cosy South Stand seat . 

I'm Spartacus!

I was there as a  kid, on the Kop  never saw it but don't remember any noise...seem to remember a long stoppage. Didn't go to the Swansea game though, does that mean I'm booted out of the "TrueFan" club?

In a recent thread entitled something like “ what  happened years ago that still makes you mad “ this incident was my offering.

I watched it on tele and I can remember Wilko barely being able to contain his anger in the post match interview.

Of course this was well before the internet so I took it upon myself to sit down and write Bennett at letter telling him was a coward I thought he was.... recorded delivery too !

Dont worry, he read it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I was there remember Toshacks own goal...it looked like he dliberately headed into his own net...think that was the last goal...could be wrong

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Fast forward to 1.42 and look at the slow mo.

Quality is poor but there is no doubt in my mind that was one of the most blatant over the top tackles you will ever see.

His claims of innocence are ludicrous and he lost the case because the clear evidence is there for all to see. The guy was a thug and got nothing he didn't deserve.

Absolute disgrace that the ref didn’t even stop the game to get the medical staff on. He doesn’t give a foul and then books Bennett when play eventually stops 🤷‍♂️

If the crack was as loud as people say, why didn’t the Wednesday player (Shelton I think) who picks up the loose ball put it straight out of play? He was only about 5 yards away from the tackle so must have heard it?

Ian Knight is laid there with his leg shattered while the game goes on and the Chester fans sing ‘Psycho’.

Bennett should have been charged with assault or GBH

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

I was on the cop and heard the crack. He can moan all he wants, but it was an absolutely horrendous tackle. It ruined the career of a potentially top class player

I was about 5 rows back in the North and it was straight in front of me - the agony on Iain Knights face was horrific and Bennett deserves everything he got.

• Like 1