Gary Bennett that tackle

2 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

I’ve just double checked. Yeah settled out of court and it’s the first time a footballer had sued successfully for a career ending tackle.

Lee Chapman and Howard Wilkinson gave statements in court...settled five years later

• Like 1

Fast forward to 1.42 and look at the slow mo.

Quality is poor but there is no doubt in my mind that was one of the most blatant over the top tackles you will ever see.

His claims of innocence are ludicrous and he lost the case because the clear evidence is there for all to see. The guy was a thug and got nothing he didn't deserve.

• Like 1

Typical Scouser - ‘it wasn’t my fault mate and it’s a load of rubbish when footballers say they didn’t intend to hurt someone. They amount of anger and frustration in players on a pitch means plenty go into tackles with intent - maybe not to break a leg in 7 places but certainly to do enough to put others out of the game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

I’ve just double checked. Yeah settled out of court and it’s the first time a footballer had sued successfully for a career ending tackle.

It was settled out of court but the case had already started and some of the evidence given. Bennett's team knew they were on a hiding to nothing at that point and caved in. In some respects I wish the Judge had been the one to make the final award (in the hope that IK got a lot more).

As for "mistimed tackle" anywhere other than a sports field would have seen Bennett jailed for GBH and rightly so.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pacific said:

Can you believe that fukinscumbag was on 'Come Die with Me'!!

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/skelmersdale-couple-who-feature-come-7393336

That's a new one on me. Do they all have a choice of different weapons like a medieval tournament or something?

Still, the way 'reality' TV is going it's only a matter of time. And there would still be an endless queue of attention hungry no marks for it. Perhaps it could be the consolation prize for the losing semi finalists on 'Celebrity Turd Eating'.

:dry:

I remember going to the game at Chester and it was a tense atmosphere in and out of the ground, they were definitely up for a ‘giant’ killing. I also remember Bennett before the replay mouthing off about what he was going to do

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Not checked the records on this one but was the crowd 45,000? Only reason I ask is that everyone seems to have heard a crack from where they were sat. 

Can't say that I heard the crack but never heard a crowd go silent so quickly after it happened and yes he meant it.

Tbh it was quite frequent those days, can anyone remember Paul Gascoigne challenge on Gary Charles ? Ironically for Gary he didnt get injured but Gazza did!

Can remember a few like that in the 80s and 90s but Bennett as a fellow professional was an absolute nob head the way he acted after.

What is Ian Knight doing these days ? 

Guest paulvcooke
4 hours ago, panda800 said:

found this interesting  article about the ********   trying to get sympathy       https://www.thefreelibrary.com/It's+been+10+years+of+hell+for+Ian+and+ME!%3B+GARY+BENNETT+ON+HORROR...-a061132479

Ancient article, but even after all these years.......scumbag. Deliberate and successful attempt to injure someone, football or not, should have been arrested.

Not watching the YouTube video, I have no interest of reliving it, was on the Kop that night, awful. You knew something was badly wrong when you tell that Chapman was crying. 

Also went to the first game, that was tasty off the pitch. Remember getting back to our minibus and breathing a sigh a relief that it was still intact as we had passed a 'Sheffield Van Hire' minibus that was on its roof.....

Away end was broken railway sleepers and lots and handy sized broken bricks. Away turnstile was an old bloke sat at a trestle table and a tupperware box full of coins. Utter shambles.

Edited by paulvcooke
typo

3 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I think it’s a bit of an urban myth that has been perpetuated over time. I was on the Kop that night and I didn’t hear it.

The tackle was brutal. If that was done today Bennet would get even more abuse than he did back then.

Not at all. I was on kop and I heard it clear as day.  Grim, make me feel clamy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kirksandallowl said:

Don’t see much evidence of him chasing the ref asking him to stop the game in that clip like he claims in the article. 

Just what I was thinking. 

Also - I noticed their fans chanting his name just before the tackle and just after kickoff. I do remember the build up to this game and Bennett being a bit of a mouth