Gary Bennett that tackle

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Not checked the records on this one but was the crowd 45,000? Only reason I ask is that everyone seems to have heard a crack from where they were sat. 

I was at the back of the North if I remember correctly and I didn't hear it.

He might not have intended to shateer his leg, but I think we can all agree on how accidental the violence of the challenge might have been. Bennett's bleating is pretty sickening given the result of it for Ian Knight. Not a shred of humility or remorse.

• Like 2

I was on the Kop...couldn't hear the crack but the intent was clear. Ruined what was looking like a blossoming career. I was recovering from an  ACL replacement and  Alan Smith was overseeing my recovery so I spoke to Ian in the gym most mornings. Lovely lad and I was gutted for him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vulva said:

Not checked the records on this one but was the crowd 45,000? Only reason I ask is that everyone seems to have heard a crack from where they were sat. 

I think it’s a bit of an urban myth that has been perpetuated over time. I was on the Kop that night and I didn’t hear it.

The tackle was brutal. If that was done today Bennet would get even more abuse than he did back then.

Edited by sexpistol
  • Like 2

The man was giving it large before the game how he was going in hard and it was his game.

Knight was very humble while he was recovering, I know first hand - but he knew what happened was a moment of pure nasty aggression.   He should had sued. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vulva said:

I was at sea in the Navy and I heard the crack. 

• Haha 3

Was also on the Kop that night, and can't remember if I heard it or not. It was a disgraceful challenge though by any standards as the TV replays show.

Finished Knight's career and at the time he was England U21 Centre Half alongside Tony Adams and reckoned to be the better of the two.

4 minutes ago, HarryPlopper said:

The man was giving it large before the game how he was going in hard and it was his game.

Knight was very humble while he was recovering, I know first hand - but he knew what happened was a moment of pure nasty aggression.   He should had sued. 

He did end up suing eventually. Think it was settled out of court. 

Just now, HarryPlopper said:

Sorry but that article is total tripe.

Bennett, if he got any abuse - it was fully deserved and did not go far enough.

The man said before the game exactly what was on his mind, and he followed through with his threats.

He was known to the Chester fans at the time as "Psycho" and revelled in it. Worked with one who warned me he would be out for blood on the night before the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

He was known to the Chester fans at the time as "Psycho" and revelled in it. Worked with one who warned me he would be out for blood on the night before the game.

I remember the game, i'm sure I was at school the next day because our headmaster referenced the incident in assembly as he'd heard almost every male kid at school talking about it.