Sheffield Wednesday open up all season ticket rebate options at 1pm

This page on the UK GOV website makes interesting reading about 'Frustrated Contracts'       https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cma-to-investigate-concerns-about-cancellation-policies-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic/the-coronavirus-covid-19-pandemic-consumer-contracts-cancellation-and-refunds.

This is one section of it and the last line is quite pertinent to this situation

Contracts that cannot go ahead due to lockdown laws

In some circumstances, due to lockdown laws, a contract cannot go ahead as agreed or at all, and is therefore ‘frustrated’. A contract will be frustrated as a matter of law if, due to no fault of the parties, something happens after the contract was entered into which means it can no longer be performed at all or performance would be radically different to what was agreed.

As a result, the contract comes to an end and, where consumers have paid money in advance for services or goods that they have yet to receive, they will generally be entitled to obtain a refund.

They will also not be required to make further payments.

In particular, for most consumer contracts, the CMA would expect a consumer to be offered a full refund where:

a business has cancelled a contract without providing any of the promised goods or services

no goods or services are provided by a business because this is prevented by the lockdown laws

a consumer is prevented from receiving any goods or services, because, for example, lockdown laws in the UK or abroad have made it illegal to receive or use the goods or services

In most cases, consumers will contact a business to ask for their money back, but there is no requirement for consumers formally to communicate with a business before becoming entitled to a refund.

Examples of legal restrictions in lockdown laws include:

restrictions imposed under the original lockdown laws in the early stages of the pandemic

restrictions imposed by local lockdown laws

specific restrictions imposed by local authorities under their legal lockdown powers

mandatory self-isolation following a direction from a public health officer

mandatory self-isolation when returning to the UK from certain countries which may affect the consumer’s ability to use a service during the self-isolation period (provided that the requirement to self-isolate was imposed after the consumer had entered into the relevant contract and was not reasonably anticipated by the consumer)

If laws in another country prevent a business from providing a service under a contract with a UK consumer or prevent that consumer from receiving the service, then in most cases consumers will also be entitled to a refund.

Businesses should not require consumers to take unreasonable or unnecessary steps in order to obtain refunds. A business imposing such barriers may breach consumer protection law by doing so.

1 hour ago, The only way is S6 said:

Just been to megastore. They confirmed my points were on last season’s ST, & I had the credit value of £120 to spend on stuff. 
Pretty straightforward & valid until May 2021. 
They also said that an announcement about new home kit was imminent. 

The staff that have returned to work, only for 3 or 4 shifts per week, have been processing that type of refund.  I was told last week that the points would be valid until May 2021.  I was also told that they hadn't started processing the cash refunds.  We're 43 days into the 60 day settlement period, somebody is going to have to get their finger out if they intend to hit 60 days from the end of August.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2020 at 14:07, torryowl said:

is it just us that havnt paid up .......whats the state of play at the blunts ,donny,barnsley rovrum . ?

It's same right around country, a number of clubs including Barnsley and Preston have made it clear that supporters wanting a cash refund are contributing towards putting their club in to a financial crisis. 

Credit towards a season ticket for next season is what most clubs want, I personally find this understandable. 

18 minutes ago, bradowl said:

It's same right around country, a number of clubs including Barnsley and Preston have made it clear that supporters wanting a cash refund are contributing towards putting their club in to a financial crisis. 

Credit towards a season ticket for next season is what most clubs want, I personally find this understandable. 

People's needs are different some are desperate for the money due to s change in circumstances

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I could understand it more if the players had taken a cut during the lockdown. As far as I'm aware they didn't. I'm more than convinced that many of our supporters that have followed our club at great expense, need that money more than ever right now. Some have lost their jobs.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

The club should have refunded all season ticket holders who requested a refund before paying any transfer fees for new players.

The communication in regards to this as been dire and shows that the club as little if any respect for the fans.

That is why the emotional play in regards to taking a credit or other means is being rightfully disregarded by many supporters.

Remember there is no club without its supporters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mirocevic said:

The club should have refunded all season ticket holders who requested a refund before paying any transfer fees for new players.

The communication in regards to this as been dire and shows that the club as little if any respect for the fans.

That is why the emotional play in regards to taking a credit or other means is being rightfully disregarded by many supporters.

I'd be interested in hearing the reasons why Sheffield Wednesday FC haven't updated/communicated with it's own fans clearly on this one

I'd also be interested in hearing from our fans on that they think the reasons are why Sheffield Wednesday FC haven't updated/communicated with it's own fans clearly on this one

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd be interested in hearing the reasons why Sheffield Wednesday FC haven't updated/communicated with it's own fans clearly on this one

I'd also be interested in hearing from our fans on that they think the reasons are why Sheffield Wednesday FC haven't updated/communicated with it's own fans clearly on this one

Think its just a case of being poorly run and not seeing paying back fans as being that important.
I don't think the club don't want to pay back the fans due to a cash flow crisis more they cant be bothered to.

Its seen as a low priority.

Guest Grandad
9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Last I knew we had at least 3 very experienced and committed guys in the communications team, also responsible for the programme.

Given we aren't doing programmes you'd imagine they are twiddling thumbs at the moment (in between producing great video content for social media)

You can only assume that any lack of communication is policy driven from higher up

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Last I knew we had at least 3 very experienced and committed guys in the communications team, also responsible for the programme.

Given we aren't doing programmes you'd imagine they are twiddling thumbs at the moment (in between producing great video content for social media)

You can only assume that any lack of communication is policy driven from higher up

I can imagine  this is the case BUT you have to ask the question - are any of our communications staff proactively seeing this situation, going to the chairman and asking him if they should/could give the fans some kind of reassurances/updates?

Owlstalk Shop

Any competent governing body would have told all the clubs they are not allowed to spend money on any new players until their legal obligations to their supporters have been fulfilled. Sadly the EFL is run by incompetents. The club is taking the p155 out of supporters. They owe us money, pay up. 

34 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think most people would be interested in knowing why the lack of communication and the excuses for this.

Personally I think regardless of any excuse it’s been very poor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

The only thing contributing to clubs financial crisis is the absurd wages paid to players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mirocevic said:

Although I agree in principal, if we hadn't signed anybody the same fans would be having kittens on here.

My personal view is season ticket money has gone and this virus has saved me a fortune not actually going through games so having next seasons ticket virtually paid for means no matter what I can go to watch my team next season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Although I agree in principal, if we hadn't signed anybody the same fans would be having kittens on here.

My personal view is season ticket money has gone and this virus has saved me a fortune not actually going through games so having next seasons ticket virtually paid for means no matter what I can go to watch my team next season.

Which Season ticket money as gone? The 2019-2020 one which most are waiting for refunds on ? Or the 2020-2021 which some of us bought on the early bird renewal ?

Im struggling to understand your logic on this.

So by keeping on buying these and not going we are saving a fortune????