Reach and Lees

6 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Not really sure what your issue is with Harris.

You are being very, very picky.

Its easy and lazy to say his end product isn't great, name me a wing back or wide player that is 100% accurate at any level.

A cross is a 50/50 ball, a decent defender should be the favourite.

It's not like he's spooning crosses behind the goal every game.

Harris has excellent attributes and I can absolutely see why Monk is picking him. He's athletic, pacey, a goal threat, extremely hard working and can carry the ball away from pressure, he's a good weapon to have in the counter attacking arsenal that's for sure. 

However his end product from the wings has indeed dipped since the opening couple of months of the season, if you're not happy with that opinion or think it is 'lazy' or 'easy', then so be it, but it's the truth I'm afraid.

If I was being forced to point out a lazy argument I'd probably be pointing to the person who suggested against criticising a winger because 'no winger is 100% accurate with crossing', pretty bizarre to say the least. In that case we can never criticise a striker again because no striker converts 100% of chances, it's a nonsensical argument. 

If Harris can up that part of his game in the last part of the season he will be a colossal force. However, as it stands he is on 3 assists from 34 starts which I think is far too low given the promising performances and deliveries he was putting in at the start of the season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Harris has excellent attributes and I can absolutely see why Monk is picking him. He's athletic, pacey, a goal threat, extremely hard working and can carry the ball away from pressure, he's a good weapon to have in the counter attacking arsenal that's for sure. 

However his end product from the wings has indeed dipped since the opening couple of months of the season, if you're not happy with that opinion or think it is 'lazy' or 'easy', then so be it, but it's the truth I'm afraid.

If I was being forced to point out a lazy argument I'd probably be pointing to the person who suggested against criticising a winger because 'no winger is 100% accurate with crossing', pretty bizarre to say the least. In that case we can never criticise a striker again because no striker converts 100% of chances, it's a nonsensical argument. 

If Harris can up that part of his game in the last part of the season he will be a colossal force. However, as it stands he is on 3 assists from 34 starts which I think is far too low given the promising performances and deliveries he was putting in at the start of the season. 

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 22.51.34.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 22.51.43.jpg

Here's the latest stats I can find

Not sure if they're updated with todays figures (they're direct from OPTA so I would imagine so?)

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 22.51.34.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 22.51.43.jpg

Here's the latest stats I can find

Not sure if they're updated with todays figures (they're direct from OPTA so I would imagine so?)

Where are they from? I'd hazard a guess that these will be up to date, odd how it doesn't include his goals though although this may be just passing related?

It'd be interesting to see how these compare with Murphy, Reach, the top wingers in the division and even isolating Harris' first two months here to see how that compares to the complete stats too! 

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Where would he fit into this side now though?

As a central midfielder he's just too slow and ineffective

As a left winger to get down the wings and get the ball in he's not as fast as the newer players are

But he can cross. Think wingback can suit him best as he works hard can get up and down and delivers a good ball he’s just powder puff in a challenge. Need to get him tied down tho even if we’re selling him can’t be losing him for nothing next year 

53 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

So, could we say that Harris was more effective when Fletcher was available?

If he crosses into a dangerous area and no one attacks it, who do we blame? The crosser or the attacker?

When crossing a ball, do you think you should actually aim at a player? or space? 

Interested in your thoughts? 

Why are strikers runs off the ball so important? 

Despite all this, I think Harris was fatigued before the break, we abused him.

At Cardiff he was an impact player, he was very rarely expected to play 2 games a week.

I think Lees is finished here. He’s the captain yet finds himself on the bench and when there’s a defensive injury like today he finds himself behind a player who won’t be here come Wednesday.

As for Reach, this season has been his worst at the club. His problem here has always been his lack of a definitive position/role in the team. I don’t think he’ll be here much longer. I suspect the Monk revolution will see players who are under contract like Lees and Reach leave sooner rather than later?

Edited by Jim

Lees needs to move on now for the sake of his career. It is obvious Monk doesn't rate him and let's be honest, some of his performances this season have been Ashley Westwood - esque. This man is meant to be the club captain, yet seems to lack any form of leadership skills. A tragic turn considering how promising he was looking whilst playing alongside Loovens. 

I would be happy to keep Reach and still think he could become a key player. If Monk is wanting to play wing backs then Reach fits in that position perfectly. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Lees needs to move on now for the sake of his career. It is obvious Monk doesn't rate him and let's be honest, some of his performances this season have been Ashley Westwood - esque. This man is meant to be the club captain, yet seems to lack any form of leadership skills. A tragic turn considering how promising he was looking whilst playing alongside Loovens. 

I would be happy to keep Reach and still think he could become a key player. If Monk is wanting to play wing backs then Reach fits in that position perfectly. 

Reach is too soft, his worldy strikes covered up his lack of desire, he's now simply been found out.

We are a position where we need players to have the right attitude and who don't mind taking a shot in the face or a kick in the bo11ox.

Before anyone says you need a bit of quality, of course you do but Reach isn't offering any.

23 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

So, could we say that Harris was more effective when Fletcher was available?

If he crosses into a dangerous area and no one attacks it, who do we blame? The crosser or the attacker?

When crossing a ball, do you think you should actually aim at a player? or space? 

Interested in your thoughts? 

Why are strikers runs off the ball so important? 

Despite all this, I think Harris was fatigued before the break, we abused him.

At Cardiff he was an impact player, he was very rarely expected to play 2 games a week.

I would say Harris is more effective when he plays well and delivers quality on a consistent basis. Going round players means nothing if the delivery is naff. 

You seemed to be completely unable to accept that his form dipped, and now you've claimed it did but it's because of the strikers and the fact we used him too much. Bizarre. 

He brings a lot to the team, definitely, but we need to see the quality he was delivering at the start of the season. 

7 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Reach is too soft, his worldy strikes covered up his lack of desire, he's now simply been found out.

We are a position where we need players to have the right attitude and who don't mind taking a shot in the face or a kick in the bo11ox.

Before anyone says you need a bit of quality, of course you do but Reach isn't offering any.

Reach has double the assists that golden boy Harris has this season, and that includes having 10 less starts than him as well. He has 6 which is only 1 away from his total last season. 

He is never going to be a blood and thunder player which is why often many fans don't take to him, but he still has a part to play I think. Out wide that is as he should never play in the middle again, he just doesn't have the attributes for that as his close control and tackling aren't great at all. 

• Like 1

Guest Ronson

I think they all should start with a clean slate now. I'm sure Lees will be used at some time depending on the opposition, could be Wednesday evening. 

16 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Reach has double the assists that golden boy Harris has this season, and that includes having 10 less starts than him as well. He has 6 which is only 1 away from his total last season. 

Reach started the season quite well too, you know when we were 3rd. What happened when we started sinking down the league, that's right he disappeared. The guys got no fight in him.

16 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

He is never going to be a blood and thunder player which is why often many fans don't take to him, but he still has a part to play I think. Out wide that is as he should never play in the middle again, he just doesn't have the attributes for that as his close control and tackling aren't great at all. 

Monk's generally done ok where's he's managed and sometimes against the odds, he's played at the highest level and managed there, what makes you think you know better?

21 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

I would say Harris is more effective when he plays well and delivers quality on a consistent basis. Going round players means nothing if the delivery is naff. 

Going around players can mean something, especially if you are playing on the counter, beating a player in your own half and getting us on the attack his a positive you know, its not all about who plays the final ball.

21 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

You seemed to be completely unable to accept that his form dipped, and now you've claimed it did but it's because of the strikers and the fact we used him too much. Bizarre. 

I openly said that he looked to be fatigued towards Christmas and give you a reason why i thought it. I also said that our entire attacking approach failed when Fletcher was out of the side.

What more do you want?

I would like to see Reach score a 40 yarder very game, what's your point?

On 28/06/2020 at 15:43, Sgt Wednesday said:

It's clear that Monk wants a mobile back 3.

Iorfa is perfect for the middle of the 3.

Your left and right sided CB's need to be able to defend like a CB and defend like a fullback, there is a subtle difference.

Palmer was a surprise last week but did well and looks comfortable. Borner can do it, clearly.

Tom Lees is slowly going backwards, maybe he needs a fresh start, also looks ropey defending in wide areas. Thats why Fox was the preferred option.

Reach is a show pony, neat and tidy in possession, not what you want if you are in a scrap, does nothing out of possession, running around a lot isn't enough.

Sadly, we can't carry this sort of player and I am glad the manager sees it.

Hopefully, we can get a fee for both of them, I'd take 1m for Lees, a defender in his prime, could be a good bit of business for a mid table champ team.

I would hope we can get a decent fee for Reach, in the region of 2.5m, would have got double that last season.

1m for Lees

Who can’t currently get in a mid table champ team

:tango:

On 28/06/2020 at 21:10, not welsh owl said:

neither reach or lees would be any good in this formation

I disagree. 

I think Reach would relish and excel in the wing-back roll. He can run all day, and play either side, though I wish we would play him on the left where he can put over those delicious early curlers towards Wickham and Rhodes or Nuhiu.

I think Lees has had a poor season, but not as poor as many suggest. I would have no concern to see a back three of Iorfa-Lees-Borner. The central CB in a 3 doesn’t  need the same distribution ability as the two wider CBs.

• Like 2