Reach and Lees

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It was nothing but a dead leg

The only place right now would be to drop Rhodes and Play Reach deeper, but that would be harsh on Rhodes at the moment.  

You have to assume we are keeping this formation so he may have to wait for tired legs or injuries.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Where would he fit into this side now though?

As a central midfielder he's just too slow and ineffective

As a left winger to get down the wings and get the ball in he's not as fast as the newer players are

Not sure where you play him, but he's the best crosser of a ball by a million miles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

We are playing  3-5-2 with 3 centre back 1 got injured so we didn't bring the centre back in the bench in we brought a left back on, who does want to be here.

We took Rhodes off a striker and replace him with Da Cruz who has been awful since being here. But left Reach who offers more going forward, has better delivery from our wide and can defend as well as having an engine.

I know monk has his favourite but I just don't see DACruz being good enough for Championship level football.

I really don't th                Aww forget it!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’d keep Reach, but would sell Lees all day long.

Another one who has gone past his sell by date - top player for us back in the day and an unbelievable bargain, but lost a yard of pace and looks very shakey.

Plus if I don’t see those floaty 40 yard diagonal balls to Jordan Rhodes head again, will be forever grateful! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ReadingOwl said:

Tom Lees came from Leeds with a poor reputation.

And, he did amazingly well here. Really well, in every department.

Then he just seemed to mentally and physically disintegrate - as though he wasn’t the same player.

I don’t know what the problem is - he’s not that old is he?

But he looks burnt out to me (with football).

Loovens has left, that's when he started to lose it. He had a resurgence last season when Hector was next to him. He needs someone else to take charge. When he's got to do it he seems to fall apart.

Why on earth he was made club captain I will never know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Wildsmith

Palmer      Iorfa       Borner

Harris               Bannan             Reach

Lee                  Luongo

Da Cruz

Wickham

Would be my starting XI on Wednesday... though question marks over whether Da Cruz has it in him to be any more than a decent impact player. Thought he was fine today but he's looked unremarkable in the past... think he probably warrants a go from the start to see what happens. Would offer more than Rhodes. Plus with Murphy on the bench, we'd at least have a pacy option to bring on later on if we need to stretch the opposition. 

I think Harris did well today, but Reach at LWB is just begging to be tried. Yes, he's not as athletic as either Murphy or Harris, but he can really swing a ball in and it would be nice to see Harris attack the outside and be on his stronger peg.

Personally I'd always play Murphy. He's come on no end since the start of the year. He offers a threat and puts a good ball in. I've warmed to him.

I imagine Palmer would move to play the left side of a back 3 if Borner is injured.

Then Lees comes in to take his place.

Regards Reach, I really hope he stays and nails down a place again in formation as a wing back. I think we've messed around with him too much and too often - his quality on the ball from the left would see us make a ruck load of chances for the strikers.

However - in fairness - we're doing fine so far with him taking a back seat, and that's fair play to Harris playing an unfamiliar role. It's up to Reach to make himself invaluable again.

Adam Reach creates more assists per minutes on the pitch than any other player in the squad. He’s only one behind Bannan despite playing in two thirds the game time and despite him not taking every corner and free kick. That’s in what is arguably his worst season for us and some folk seem mad keen on getting him out the door. Crazy. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Where would he fit into this side now though?

As a central midfielder he's just too slow and ineffective

As a left winger to get down the wings and get the ball in he's not as fast as the newer players are

Perfect left wing back

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Brinsworthowl said:

Think Lees time has passed. Not sure on reach tho

Problem is if Borner dead leg does not recover for Wednesday we have no other options they have been sold or let go.

Unless this is Monk we could see Pelupessy in the back 3 :image:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

He totally is yeah

That makes it more infuriating to see him jogging round in central midfield being totally ineffective

Thats because various managers have played him there. Play him left wing and the forwards would get crosses to thrive on. Reach has been unlucky that he is too adaptable and not played in his best position.

• Like 1

Reach needs to go left mid/wing, rather start him than Harris most games and bring Harris on to use a bit of pace when the opposites start flagging. At that point Reach can be moved to any of a number of other positions if we’re looking leggy in key areas.

Pretty sure right now he’s being nursed a bit - had a hell of a long run as a 90-minuter until Monk came in and been sporting that shin/knee bandage in training for months now. Can’t see him being top of the sell list, he’s clearly one of our better assets and IMO there’s no way he’s anything but a positive in the dressing room. Plus we keep shoving him out to do interviews even when he’s being rested.

Lees it’s a bit more awkward with, we know he’s not a born captain but it’s hard for any player to step back from captaincy gracefully and go back into the rank and file - you don’t see it often. Although ironically Lees is exactly the sort of rare player who probably wouldn’t mind too much.

Hope it works out for him but a tough call.