Reach and Lees

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

So your questions are...

Why did we replace our left-sided CB with a left-sided CB rather than a right-sided CB?

and

Why did we replace a forward with a forward rather than a winger?

Not sure. Give me time.

We are playing  3-5-2 with 3 centre back 1 got injured so we didn't bring the centre back in the bench in we brought a left back on, who does want to be here.

We took Rhodes off a striker and replace him with Da Cruz who has been awful since being here. But left Reach who offers more going forward, has better delivery from our wide and can defend as well as having an engine.

I know monk has his favourite but I just don't see DACruz being good enough for Championship level football.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Tom Lees came from Leeds with a poor reputation.

And, he did amazingly well here. Really well, in every department.

Then he just seemed to mentally and physically disintegrate - as though he wasn’t the same player.

I don’t know what the problem is - he’s not that old is he?

But he looks burnt out to me (with football).

Always thought the captaincy weighed too heavily on TL meself His best performances were always as best supporting actor to Loovens. Plus, he’s good at defending but not so good on the ball. Gets nervous & makes crowd nervous. 

• Like 1

Wildsmith

Palmer      Iorfa       Borner

Harris               Bannan             Reach

Lee                  Luongo

Da Cruz

Wickham

Would be my starting XI on Wednesday... though question marks over whether Da Cruz has it in him to be any more than a decent impact player. Thought he was fine today but he's looked unremarkable in the past... think he probably warrants a go from the start to see what happens. Would offer more than Rhodes. Plus with Murphy on the bench, we'd at least have a pacy option to bring on later on if we need to stretch the opposition. 

I think Harris did well today, but Reach at LWB is just begging to be tried. Yes, he's not as athletic as either Murphy or Harris, but he can really swing a ball in and it would be nice to see Harris attack the outside and be on his stronger peg.

• Like 2

Reach has had a terrible season, I don’t know where he fits into our side 

Lees lost his place a while back, for me he’s had his day at this level and wouldn’t be shocked to see Monk wanting to move him on 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

We are playing  3-5-2 with 3 centre back 1 got injured so we didn't bring the centre back in the bench in we brought a left back on, who does want to be here.

We took Rhodes off a striker and replace him with Da Cruz who has been awful since being here. But left Reach who offers more going forward, has better delivery from our wide and can defend as well as having an engine.

I know monk has his favourite but I just don't see DACruz being good enough for Championship level football.

The use of Da Cruz in the last two games has been odd.

Both games he has replaced a CF but immediately hogged the touchline. Given that we’ve got wingbacks, do we really need a third wide player on? 

That said, he’s been energetic and willing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReadingOwl said:

Then he just seemed to mentally and physically disintegrate - as though he wasn’t the same player.

He doesn’t have Loovens next to him anymore. 

They were fantastic as a pairing. Complemented each other well. 

Don’t think he really fits into a back 3 either.

• Like 1

Reach is just made for wing back. Amazing engine, great delivery, plus I think he offers more of a goal threat than Harris.

Not taking anything away from Harris, who was superb today and does offer certain things you won’t get from Reach. 

Don’t see any reason why Reach can’t play off a striker either. As long as we have a competitive 3 man midfield behind him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Not everyone, but there seems to be a group of fans who think Da Cruz is awful. I think he's been a bit nondescript, but can't remember too many games where he has been awful. He showed a couple of glimpses on his debut, didn't let us down against City. He put in a lovely corner for the equaliser last week and caused problems for Bristol this week. Granted I didn't watch the Brentford game, but everyone was awful in that game, weren't they?

This was the kind of game we would have brought Joao on in the past and he did a decent kind of Joao job - stretching the defence with his pace and a great run with the ball and good shot near the end. Reach is nowhere near as fast and if we had brought Reach on then the Bristol defence would have been able to step up 10 yards and put us under more pressure.

• Like 1

If we could get our money back for Reach I’d personally let him go. On his day though he can be useful so if he’s still here next season I can see him challenging Penney and Harris for the left hand side. Don’t like to see him central. 

2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

If you’re on the bench then surely you’re in the match day squad???

I never noticed either on the match day squad, hence I wasn’t aware they were on the bench? Apologies if I missed it, don’t recall seeing them when I checked the team prior to the game.

Add to the fact neither came on, which is bizarre given the changes we made, I still wasn’t aware they were on the bench.

If we can get a good few for Reach and maybe half a mill for Lees which isn't beyond the realms of realism then both should go imo. 

Reach has been a good player for us, but as one of the assets and learning from before plus the opportunity at present I'd be tempted to part ways if the right offer came 

We are stuck with Tom Lees on his £25k per week contract for 2 season. I’m as sure as I can be that a club won’t come in for him.

I quite like Adam Reach. He would be suited to the left wing back role or playing off the main striker in this formation but wouldn’t want to see him in central midfield. But if the right offer came along, I’d be tempted to cash in.

1 hour ago, ReadingOwl said:

You’ll probably find that coincided with Loovens leaving, he needs the calm old head next to him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Simple question are they both injured?

Borner taken off at half time presumably incase he had pulled his calf Lees did not come instead Fox, who for me gets 2 minutes at the end, does want to be here, so should not have been included.

We then take Rhodes off after 60 minutes on a booking and bring Da Cruz on who was awful, no runs, no crosses, loses the ball too easily and so light weight for his frame. Why did Reach not come on, would had give up something going forward, a goal threat but also better defensively.

We then make the Odabajo substitution and another ref we could have lost two points with another clumsy challenge in the box. I would rather anyone instead of him.

But positives 3 points is great, now 10 points off the bottom 3. Let's wait and see what happens with the EFL this week and hopefully get something from the West Brom game.

Borners injury was his thigh.

Fox is a left sided player, Lees is very right sided. Fox was the obvious sub.

Da Cruz did well, brought a good save from their keeper at the end.

Odubajo was never near to giving away a penalty.

Other than that.....good post.

• Like 1