Reach and Lees

34 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Simple question are they both injured?

Borner taken off at half time presumably incase he had pulled his calf Lees did not come instead Fox, who for me gets 2 minutes at the end, does want to be here, so should not have been included.

We then take Rhodes off after 60 minutes on a booking and bring Da Cruz on who was awful, no runs, no crosses, loses the ball too easily and so light weight for his frame. Why did Reach not come on, would had give up something going forward, a goal threat but also better defensively.

We then make the Odabajo substitution and another ref we could have lost two points with another clumsy challenge in the box. I would rather anyone instead of him.

But positives 3 points is great, now 10 points off the bottom 3. Let's wait and see what happens with the EFL this week and hopefully get something from the West Brom game.

So your questions are...

Why did we replace our left-sided CB with a left-sided CB rather than a right-sided CB?

and

Why did we replace a forward with a forward rather than a winger?

Not sure. Give me time.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, William 1867 said:

Think Monk wants these two out as well.

Could be right.

I wouldn’t complain if we sold both at the end of the season.

However given the shortage of players both will feature in the coming games 

Tom Lees is ok in a back four when his fellow defenders are closer to him. He doesn't have the mobility, pace or comfort on the ball to play in a back three.  

For me he's not been the same player since the play off final, he doesn't seem confident & his performances in general are on the decline.  

He's been great for us but maybe it's time for him to move on.

Edited by mogbad

Tom Lees came from Leeds with a poor reputation.

And, he did amazingly well here. Really well, in every department.

Then he just seemed to mentally and physically disintegrate - as though he wasn’t the same player.

I don’t know what the problem is - he’s not that old is he?

But he looks burnt out to me (with football).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Put one on a plate for Rhodes today, and beat his man on the outside a few times. Don't let the facts get in the way though

Didn't put it on a plate for Rhodes at all, he put it into a decent area though and unfortunately the defender was live to it, hence the block. 

If that's the only example you can come up with before dipping into the arbitrary 'he beat his man' praise (which hints at the lack of end product that followed) then it shows he just doesn't deliver quality consistently enough I'm afraid, which is a real shame as he has every other attribute going for him.

3 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Tom Lees came from Leeds with a poor reputation.

And, he did amazingly well here. Really well, in every department.

Then he just seemed to mentally and physically disintegrate - as though he wasn’t the same player.

I don’t know what the problem is - he’s not that old is he?

But he looks burnt out to me (with football).

Agree with this. Looked absolutely devoid of confidence before lockdown.

Think Monk has found the right defensive formula and the right players. Hope he let's it settle, (injuries permitting.)

• Like 1

Just now, Owls2k said:

Didn't put it on a plate for Rhodes at all, he put it into a decent area though and unfortunately the defender was live to it, hence the block. 

If that's the only example you can come up with before dipping into the arbitrary 'he beat his man' praise (which hints at the lack of end product that followed) then it shows he just doesn't deliver quality consistently enough I'm afraid, which is a real shame as he has every other attribute going for him.

He put it onto the centre forwards boot 6 yards out and the defender got across to block it. Not sure what he could have done better. He best his man on the outside which has been something he's been reluctant too do at times and then got a delivery into a dangerous area with his left foot. To make that chance and show that he can deliver on the outside shows me he is offering a threat and making chances

2 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

He put it onto the centre forwards boot 6 yards out and the defender got across to block it. Not sure what he could have done better. He best his man on the outside which has been something he's been reluctant too do at times and then got a delivery into a dangerous area with his left foot. To make that chance and show that he can deliver on the outside shows me he is offering a threat and making chances

Are you thinking of the Murphy cross?

Just now, Owls2k said:

Excellent use of the hyphen, gives your opinion added gravitas. 

I was comparing and contrasting him with Wickham.

Wickham was outstanding for the first 45 minutes - but fell away (badly).

Which emphasises just how well Harris did.

45 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Simple question are they both injured?

Borner taken off at half time presumably incase he had pulled his calf Lees did not come instead Fox, who for me gets 2 minutes at the end, does want to be here, so should not have been included.

We then take Rhodes off after 60 minutes on a booking and bring Da Cruz on who was awful, no runs, no crosses, loses the ball too easily and so light weight for his frame. Why did Reach not come on, would had give up something going forward, a goal threat but also better defensively.

We then make the Odabajo substitution and another ref we could have lost two points with another clumsy challenge in the box. I would rather anyone instead of him.

But positives 3 points is great, now 10 points off the bottom 3. Let's wait and see what happens with the EFL this week and hopefully get something from the West Brom game.

Friggin ell!.

Are you never happy?.

I bet you get loads of invitations to go out.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ReadingOwl said:

I was comparing and contrasting him with Wickham.

Wickham was outstanding for the first 45 minutes - but fell away (badly).

Which emphasises just how well Harris did.

I've got it. I now know for next time. 

Next time you use a hyphen I'll remember you're comparing with Wickham. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Are you thinking of the Murphy cross?

Nope, Rhodes had 2 efforts blocked by defenders. The first was from Murphy, the 2nd was when Harris beat his man, think it lead to the corner which we scored the 2nd from. Again the defender blocked Rhodes finish 

32 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I like Reach.

Could be a real asset in a confident team.

Got a great engine.

Agree with this an all (sorry Reading 😉)

Harris is ok but for me flatters to deceive. Reach usually has a better end product and is certainly capable of getting up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.

I know he's a bit soft but let's face it, Harris is hardly Norman Hunter!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Not really sure what your issue is with Harris.

You are being very, very picky.

Its easy and lazy to say his end product isn't great, name me a wing back or wide player that is 100% accurate at any level.

A cross is a 50/50 ball, a decent defender should be the favourite.

It's not like he's spooning crosses behind the goal every game.