Reach and Lees

15 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Simple question are they both injured?

Borner taken off at half time presumably incase he had pulled his calf Lees did not come instead Fox, who for me gets 2 minutes at the end, does want to be here, so should not have been included.

We then take Rhodes off after 60 minutes on a booking and bring Da Cruz on who was awful, no runs, no crosses, loses the ball too easily and so light weight for his frame. Why did Reach not come on, would had give up something going forward, a goal threat but also better defensively.

We then make the Odabajo substitution and another ref we could have lost two points with another clumsy challenge in the box. I would rather anyone instead of him.

But positives 3 points is great, now 10 points off the bottom 3. Let's wait and see what happens with the EFL this week and hopefully get something from the West Brom game.

Clumsy challenge.. He never touched him!  Tried a fancy turn and fell over his own feet 🤣

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Where would he fit into this side now though?

As a central midfielder he's just too slow and ineffective

As a left winger to get down the wings and get the ball in he's not as fast as the newer players are

Slow? I don’t think he’s particularly slow - he lacks bite IMO.

Thats my only criticism of him.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

As a left winger to get down the wings and get the ball in he's not as fast as the newer players are

Sometimes, accurate passing and end product is better than pace. Reach has an end product, he’s definitely got plenty to offer to be on our bench - as a minimum - when fit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Clumsy challenge? The Bristol City player fell down under no contact.

Da Cruz held the ball and carried it forward well. Didn’t he have a shot well saved late on too?

Agreed re the two players though - they are first teamers and unless injured should surely be in the squad.

Weren’t they in the squad?

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He'd replace Harris, who gets lauded despite not putting in a decent cross in the last 180 minutes. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Sometimes, accurate passing and end product is better than pace. Reach has an end product, he’s definitely got plenty to offer to be on our bench - as a minimum - when fit.

Agreed, Reach has double the assists of Harris and has started 10 less games than him. Interesting to see what Monk does on Wednesday, as he is clearly a fan of Harris' athleticism 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

As daft as it seems he could be a direct replacement for Kieran Lee. Both can get all over the pitch.

But Lee was a better goal poacher when he ghosted into the box.

But I’d like Reach to play that role.

17 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Simple question are they both injured?

Borner taken off at half time presumably incase he had pulled his calf Lees did not come instead Fox, who for me gets 2 minutes at the end, does want to be here, so should not have been included.

We then take Rhodes off after 60 minutes on a booking and bring Da Cruz on who was awful, no runs, no crosses, loses the ball too easily and so light weight for his frame. Why did Reach not come on, would had give up something going forward, a goal threat but also better defensively.

We then make the Odabajo substitution and another ref we could have lost two points with another clumsy challenge in the box. I would rather anyone instead of him.

But positives 3 points is great, now 10 points off the bottom 3. Let's wait and see what happens with the EFL this week and hopefully get something from the West Brom game.

I know Moses has made some costly errors but that was just a slip and then a clear dive looking for a foul that didn't exist. 

I thought Da Cruz did well today, kept the ball nicely a few times as we were looking for control and to run down the clock then carried the ball a long way at the end and had a good shot on target the meant we kept the ball with the corner and ran down the clock.

Lees has been very poor this season and has no composure on the ball, it is a worry from his perspective  that a full-back is getting picked in front of him but so far it has worked.

Just now, ReadingOwl said:

As daft as it seems he could be a direct replacement for Kieran Lee. Both can get all over the pitch.

But Lee was a better goal poacher when he ghosted into the box.

But I’d like Reach to play that role.

I find watching Reach in central midfield highly uninspiring to the point of boring

He seems to get the ball, stop, pause for a bit, and then pass to Bannan

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

He'd replace Harris, who gets lauded despite not putting in a decent cross in the last 180 minutes. 

Put one on a plate for Rhodes today, and beat his man on the outside a few times. Don't let the facts get in the way though

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Owls2k said:

Agreed, Reach has double the assists of Harris and has started 10 less games than him. Interesting to see what Monk does on Wednesday, as he is clearly a fan of Harris' athleticism 

I thought Harris was brilliant today - for the full 90 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It's clear that Monk wants a mobile back 3.

Iorfa is perfect for the middle of the 3.

Your left and right sided CB's need to be able to defend like a CB and defend like a fullback, there is a subtle difference.

Palmer was a surprise last week but did well and looks comfortable. Borner can do it, clearly.

Tom Lees is slowly going backwards, maybe he needs a fresh start, also looks ropey defending in wide areas. Thats why Fox was the preferred option.

Reach is a show pony, neat and tidy in possession, not what you want if you are in a scrap, does nothing out of possession, running around a lot isn't enough.

Sadly, we can't carry this sort of player and I am glad the manager sees it.

Hopefully, we can get a fee for both of them, I'd take 1m for Lees, a defender in his prime, could be a good bit of business for a mid table champ team.

I would hope we can get a decent fee for Reach, in the region of 2.5m, would have got double that last season.

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

Can see 4 or 5 changes so soon after the restart to keep legs fresh. 

Wildsmith

Murphy 

Iorfa

Lees

Palmer

Reach

Hunt

Pelupussy 

Bannan

Wickham

Rhodes 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I find watching Reach in central midfield highly uninspiring to the point of boring

He seems to get the ball, stop, pause for a bit, and then pass to Bannan

He has become that type of player, I accept.

He’s no good in a battling team - because he isn’t a natural battler.

But in a confident team - that can afford luxuries, he could be a real asset.

Its down to the manager - to get him back to his best.

He was very promising at one time - I wouldn’t write him off.

It would be a waste IMO.

12 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I like Reach.

Could be a real asset in a confident team.

Got a great engine.

He’s also one of our few playing assets that would command a transfer fee.
Hope the club don’t allow another contract to run down to zero value.

• Like 2