Joe Wildsmith - Adademy Product

Joe Wildsmith hit 50 appearances for the club last weekend as the Owls drew 1-1 with Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough.

The academy product has returned from an injury picked up in pre-season and featured against Manchester City in the FA Cup before the lockdown period began and then again last Saturday.

The 24-year-old spoke to the media via Zoom on Thursday lunchtime, where he discussed his return to action, recent appearance milestone and aims for the rest of the season.

Owlstalk Shop

Lets hope he continues to play well and not give up the number 1 shirt. Now his is chance following Dawsons poor form this year. 

That said, could we somehow expect westwood to return at the beginning of next season? Should be fully fit by then and everyone knows he is one of the best keepers in the division.

4 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

That said, could we somehow expect westwood to return at the beginning of next season? Should be fully fit by then and everyone knows he is one of the best keepers in the division.

Only if Monk is gone. Otherwise he would be playing him now.

12 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Lets hope he continues to play well and not give up the number 1 shirt. Now his is chance following Dawsons poor form this year. 

He used to be the best, not one of the best. Now I'm not so sure, he had a few errors in him and they were getting more common. Maybe it was just bad form but it could be age catching up with him.

3 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

I really hope not - to me it feels like he’s now part of the problem rather than the way forward, along with Hutchinson and Forestieri.  Let Dawson and Wildsmith fight for the shirt and see if we can move Westwood out for free.  

Would he take a cut in salary to play more football?  Probably not, which in itself speaks volumes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

I

not everyone …….

Guest Grez Bez
29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Save of the season that

Unbelievable. That's so hard to get to, it's not luck, it's reflexes.

Phenomenal save. Great awareness to get the ball over the bar, 3 Bristol City players in the vicinity waiting to pounce of not!

Not relevant to the commentary on this save but, it frustrates the life out of me when commentators describe a save and, remark that ‘I’m not sure how much he knew about it, it just hit him’ That’s the whole point of goalkeeping! Good footwork, good positioning and, in close quarters you’ll find the ball just hits you! 

5 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Phenomenal save. Great awareness to get the ball over the bar, 3 Bristol City players in the vicinity waiting to pounce of not!

Not relevant to the commentary on this save but, it frustrates the life out of me when commentators describe a save and, remark that ‘I’m not sure how much he knew about it, it just hit him’ That’s the whole point of goalkeeping! Good footwork, good positioning and, in close quarters you’ll find the ball just hits you! 

It always amuses me how serious and unmoved keepers are after these saves. They just sniff and point and then maybe shout at a defender.

Inside they must feel like running to the corner flag