Let's start Alex Hunt

So we're saying we have 4 prospects.Surely the ideal would be to try all four, but do it gradually. Start Hunt, who seems the most forward and give him a short while to settle (a couple of games) He can always be substituted , Then try with the second, and likewise the third.

Don't forget we are now allowed 5 subs under the current situation. Make use of it. As my old man used to say, 'If he's good enough, he's old enough' And look at some of the young talent around in the game today, even at Premiership and even International level.' Another of Dad's sayings' If owt beats a good old 'un, its a good young 'un'

Guest Ronson
4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Have I stepped in to the USA 1950's?

Don't think so. Why would you think that? Might be best to let the young people get on and enjoy themselves. Nothing wrong with a bit of imported culture is there? Wish we'd had them when I was at school. On second thoughts, maybe not, I know who i'd have ended up with.

Guest Ronson
9 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Another of Dad's sayings' If owt beats a good old 'un, its a good young 'un'

Always coming out with those sort of sayings weren't they our fathers. Mine used to say " Thay'll never find appiness int bottom of a pint pot lad, but there's no arm in lucking"

With the games we have coming up, the size of the squad and the difficulty of games, I'd like to see him getting most of his minutes from the bench with the odd start dependant on results and his performances.

On 26/06/2020 at 14:45, Road Runner said:

Hunt is ready for the first team, I would put him in until the end of the season and get him ready for next. 

He's got big things ahead of him, you can only nurture talent for so long. 

Let him have a go with no crowds to get on his back. We will know if he is ready or not. 

This is a good point he can play in meaningful games without the pressure of fans on his or the team's back. Got to be worth a chance.

In ordinary circumstances, now would be a perfect time to get young player on the pitch as much as possible, from the start as much as possible. Not going up, not going down, so in many ways no pressure on them, other than ensuring they give their all and learn from every second on the pitch, even if they have a howler and cost the team.

Sadly, these aren't ordinary circumstances as we have the EFL ruling hanging over us and right now I think we need experience out there, as every point could be crucial now.

If we do find ourselves free of the Albatross this time next week, then absolutely get him in the starting 11.

1 hour ago, Ronson said:

Don't think so. Why would you think that? Might be best to let the young people get on and enjoy themselves. Nothing wrong with a bit of imported culture is there? Wish we'd had them when I was at school. On second thoughts, maybe not, I know who i'd have ended up with.

OK, OK, calm down love.... 

Guest Ronson
3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

OK, OK, calm down love.... 

I'm sorry mate, just gets right up my nose when old people want to stop young people enjoying themselves. Smacks of jealousy as they see their years melting away, leave them be, that's what I say, what say you?

I'm a bit sceptical that it's so easy to 'ruin'a good young player by playing them too early. It doesn't seem to be a logic that follows in other sports...

Justin Rose and Tiger Woods were thrust into the limelight at a very young age, as was McIlroy.

Andy Murray had huge expectations  from early on, as did Lewis Hamilton.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has the most fragile of characters and was on the scene from 15/16 but has still achieved success and longevity.

If you're going to be a good enough I'd say you'll make it in most occasions. You may not be the finished product when you start but it won't do you any harm learning on the job.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 10:20, sage owl said:

If you don't like uninformed, often abusive knee jerk reaction, social media is not the place to be. 

At the ground itself around me Bannan is bizarrely the player who gets most stick. 

yer bannan gets loads of stick from our support ,in my book 1 of the most overrated players in our history . he has too many off games for my liking and averaging 1-2 goals a season from centre mid isnt good enough either. cant take a corner either. saves his best games for sky cameras . 

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

yer bannan gets loads of stick from our support ,in my book 1 of the most overrated players in our history . he has too many off games for my liking and averaging 1-2 goals a season from centre mid isnt good enough either. cant take a corner either. saves his best games for sky cameras . 

Oh dear 

Oh dear oh dear..

To ANYONE who thinks Barry Bannan isn't a good player read the stats in this thread - 

Owlstalk Shop

He definitely has lots of potential from what I’ve read. IMO too much of risk given what potentially is at stake between now and the end of the season. 

Not sure how long the ‘pre season’ will be, but that would be the time to assess him properly.

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

You might go to a lot  of games pal but you obviously don't see any of them. 

If we had another 10 players with his ability and commitment we'd be in a lot better position. 

• Like 1