First signing is crucial.

56 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I wouldn't read too much into a first signing. Normally the best players are in a strong bargaining position so wait until fairly late on to sign for a club.

from what i can tell, unless you are talking champions league signings (which we arent), most good free agents get snapped up first, the lesser players at the back end which is when we tend to do our business

• Like 2

Monk's been fairly clear on the direction he wants to take us in. Younger, fitter and more dynamic players. 

If he can guide us through this, which from a fans perspective: from being shat on by Bruce, him coming in with all the Hutchinson/Westwood s***, the EFL case period, through losing players like FF, Fletcher and then somehow build the outline of a decent young squad beyond it, then fair play. 

Here's hoping. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

There is much to do, but until we know which division we’ll be playing in, we won’t be making any first team signings We might try and tie up some low key signings for the U23s, so my forecast would be, a youngster released from one of the top flight clubs

Agree we should be looking at Chelsea , Manure, Liverpool , Spurs,Man City , kids who haven't quite made the grade. Chelsea especially and City of late have let some talented kids fall through the net.

15 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Strikers are our priority this summer. We need four if Dave leaves. 

As we only have one, Jordan Rhodes, do we plan to utilise him? I’ve been pretty scathing ever since we were first linked but, we are where we are, and I’m now contemplating the option of keeping him here. In my opinion, because he needs to play in a two, the best option is to pair him with a striker who has the attributes Jordan lack. Basically, a more mobile target man than Fletcher. Someone with the ability to hold the ball up, but with the pace and movement to create space. I know what you will be thinking, yeah good luck finding one of those on our budget. Hold on though, he doesn’t have to be the finished article, or even that prolific, as long as he has the attributes that can bring Rhodes into play. 
I know this is an about turn from me, but if Monk wants a pairing up front, it’s worth seeing if we already have half of that pairing. Be interesting to see how he fares for the rest of the season

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

As we only have one, Jordan Rhodes, do we plan to utilise him? I’ve been pretty scathing ever since we were first linked but, we are where we are, and I’m now contemplating the option of keeping him here. In my opinion, because he needs to play in a two, the best option is to pair him with a striker who has the attributes Jordan lack. Basically, a more mobile target man than Fletcher. Someone with the ability to hold the ball up, but with the pace and movement to create space. I know what you will be thinking, yeah good luck finding one of those on our budget. Hold on though, he doesn’t have to be the finished article, or even that prolific, as long as he has the attributes that can bring Rhodes into play. 
I know this is an about turn from me, but if Monk wants a pairing up front, it’s worth seeing if we already have half of that pairing. Be interesting to see how he fares for the rest of the season

Seems to be great bloke Jordan really wish it would happen for him but I think his best days are long gone.

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Whether you rate Rhodes or not, he’s got an audition in front of Monk for the rest of the season.

I know there will be some that’ll disagree with this view but I feel we’ve never played to his strengths in his entire time here? I know ideally you should never have to tailor things to suit one individual but when you’ve spent £8M+ on that individual and you’ve bought him to score the goals that are going to get you promoted then that’s something you’ve got to do?

It seems that Rhodes and Wickham know each other from their Ipswich days and may be a good fit for each other for the rest of the season. I hope they are. We need them to be. As for the long term that’s a discussion for another day?

Edited by Jim

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

So resigning the heart and soul of the team Pelupessy, but potentially letting Lee and Hutchinson leave.

Does that not tell you we are planning for league one.

Connor Kirby would have been more of a forward thinking move than Pelupessy.

No, it tells you that Hutchinson has evidently caused issues and is nearing the end of his career and Lee (as great as he has been for us) is knackered and also getting older. Pelupessy (I imagine) is a cheap back up option during uncertain times and knows the club already. Why the persistence of getting rid of the dead wood and refreshing the squad then moaning at every little thing the club do? I struggle to see the difficulty of understanding this...?

Edited by SettleForADraw
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

nail on the head for me there. Rhodes will never play as a single striker or do lots of chasing down etc but what he is / was good at was getting on the end of chances that are created

we saw a glimpse of that last Saturday with the movement to allow Bannan to find him with the through ball. Yes he should have done better but the run was made, the pass was made, just hoping with game time the sharpness all round will return

Along with a complimentary striker to play alongside him we need wide men to provide the delivery into the box. After setting up to get the ball wide, which we did successfully, the final ball into the area was poor at best. If we improve on that then I can see both Rhodes and Wickham scoring a few 

We have very little option for the remaining games so we may as well give it a chance. If it doesn't work out then if we get an offer in the summer we let him go but we may as well get behind the whole team for the remaining games

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jim said:

Whether you rate Rhodes or not, he’s got an audition in front of Monk for the rest of the season.

I know there will be some that’ll disagree with this view but I feel we’ve never played to his strengths in his entire time here? I know ideally you should never have to tailor things to suit one individual but when you’ve spent £8M+ on that individual and you’ve bought him to score the goals that are going to get you promoted then that’s something you’ve got to do?

It seems that Rhodes and Wickham know each other from their Ipswich days and may be a good fit for each other for the rest of the season. I hope they are. We need them to be. As for the long term that’s a discussion for another day?

I don’t think we can play to his strengths in the way that his previous clubs have, that was a different time. You need pace and mobility in a pairing nowadays, but if we can address that by selecting the right partner, then who knows For now, his partner will be Wickham. Longer term, would Wickham provide a decent foil? I don’t know what his mobility is like these days, as he’s rarely been fit. In this league though, you can’t pair two one paced strikers

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Depends on wages. None of those midfielders are good enough for a team that is wanting promotion. JP is the one who will be happiest as back up and probably on 1/4 the wages of either lee or hutch.

Is just a waste of money though just 9 starts this season, at best a very bit part player. Compare that to Hutch and he has made 20 start and has not been allowed to play in the last 10 games, Even the injury prone lee has made 17 starts.

I am all for good squad players but he is not championship standard the money he is on be it £5-8k a week, could have been spent on 3 youngster who could actual improve and be an asset in 12-18 months time.