Returning Loanies

Sorry if this has already been asked but I can't find it.

Can returning loan players play for us in July when their loan contracts end?

I'm thinking in particular about Penney with Fox gone but van Aken may be needed on the bench if we get some injuries at the back.

Also, can anyone think who else has been on loan that could also be eligible. I'm assuming there were a fair few younger lads but can't think who. And any other senior players?

6 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Why not?

They’re signed up elsewhere until

the end of this season whether the season as in their case ends earlier or not. 

In the same token Wickham, Murphy, Da Cruz and Windass couldn’t go back to their parent clubs and play for them this season.

Out of those returning from loan spells, only Penney would deserve a look in. Now that Morgan had foxed off, it would force us to play Palmer left back and odubajo (shudder) at right back. Urghoide needs more experience to be worth starting in games. 

4 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Out of those returning from loan spells, only Penney would deserve a look in. Now that Morgan had foxed off, it would force us to play Palmer left back and odubajo (shudder) at right back. Urghoide needs more experience to be worth starting in games. 

We could use Iorfa at right back with Less & Borner at centre back, although granted that weakens the CB area.

Palmer, Bonner, Lees and Iorfa seems like the logical back 4 if we use a back 4.

But we are left with just Odabajo as a senior defender to come on as sub so we may be forced to continue as a back 3.

Makes you wonder why we gave up on Bates given the circumstances. He must have been dire or a real negative character.

6 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

I mean why would the football authorities make it easy on clubs during this unprecedented time. 😐

They’re making me eat my words. Seems they’re going to change the rules and allow returning loanees to play. Well done EFL, for a change. 

11 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I must admit, I thought they'd be able to play as long as they hadn't player for 2 other clubs this season.

So much for FIFA trying to reduce the burden on players.

I was under the impression FIFA have changed that rule so they can play for 3 teams rather than 2 in a season, though it may only be for the 20/21 season