Fletch, Forestieri and Fox reject contract extensions

2 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Disappointed we wont have a player the quality of Fletcher but with his injury record it is probably better to spend his wage elsewhere.

Forestieri wages can definitely be better spent.

But I can't see how we can get a player or equivalent quality to replace Fox without spending more. Given there's be no transfer fee involved in signing him back on and his prior wage would be based upon a L1 player stepping up, I'm sure his departure will leave a hole in our finances if we want to get the same solid standard.

Hang on a minute, Fox? Who had been deemed not good enough for how long? He is replaceable for a similar wage, surely!

1 minute ago, thewookieisdown said:

I would certainly applaud Fletcher. Great attitude, and he has been one of our best players of the past two decades.

Forestieri. Perhaps. At his peak, he was very special for us. It is unlikely we will see individual talent of that quality here for some time.

Fox went from looking out of his depth to being a decent enough championship player, one felt perhaps to the chagrin of some of our less agreeable fans. I admire him for that.

blotted his copy book for me mate..If his injury has sidelined him for the last few games...fair enough..If not....Ive no time for him

• Like 1

Just now, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Also, does this mean we have to pay an 'injured' Westwood for another season?

I was never sure if he was out of contract this summer or not but this list suggests not.

I though he was out of contract? hmm

If we are going to build a squad that competes as a team (like Sheffield United do...there I said it!) then we need to equalise the wage structure...it's no good having players who are on five or six times the wages of other players...We need to get a squad of hungry young players, players who we probably haven't yet heard of, but players who want to fight to achieve it. Sadly, Jordan Rhodes will be staying with us...so we have to build a team with a player who is on megabucks compared to most of the rest of the squad. 

• Like 2

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I would certainly applaud Fletcher. Great attitude, and he has been one of our best players of the past two decades.

Forestieri. Perhaps. At his peak, he was very special for us. It is unlikely we will see individual talent of that quality here for some time.

Fox went from looking out of his depth to being a decent enough championship player, one felt perhaps to the chagrin of some of our less agreeable fans. I admire him for that.

They have all done very well out of swfc for little return good riddance

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

IMG-20200624-WA0013.jpg.40af65ae5e3d05d4617c93235a822b59.jpg

Hutch and Winnall to be released

The Owls can confirm that Paul Jones, Kieran Lee and Atdhe Nuhiu have signed short term contract extensions to the end of the current campaign.

The 2019/20 season was suspended in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic and authorisation was granted for clubs to extend the contracts of players due to expire on 30 June.

Wednesday’s final scheduled game is against Middlesbrough on Wednesday 22 July.

Offers were made to Steven Fletcher, Fernando Forestieri and Morgan Fox, which were declined.

Sam Hutchinson and Sam Winnall will be released from the club upon the expiry of their contracts on 30 June.

Talks remain ongoing regarding loan extensions for Alessio Da Cruz, Jacob Murphy, Connor Wickham and Josh Windass.

David Bates will return to his parent club Hamburg at the end of June.

Sheffield Wednesday would like to thank all the departing players for their services and wish them well for the future.

Its rubbish that they won't stay the month. Even Brunt and Barry have done that. I wonder if Fox is coming to the midlands 🤔

I see that list of people leaving and all except Fox will be on huge wages. The fresh start we needed. Only leftovers now are Westwood (buyer may come in) and Rhodes (can he actually deliver?!)

Sad with Fletch as I think he has been a good player for us but his injuries will continue to get worse.

Thanks to all and wish them the best for the future (as long as it’s not against us!)

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Can’t help but feel a bit screwed over by fletcher. Dodgy injury record and big wages and we took a gamble on him and gave him a home. Where does he plan on going exactly? 

Presumably he'll end up in China or New Zealand or some other backwater football country on massive money.

8 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Hang on a minute, Fox? Who had been deemed not good enough for how long? He is replaceable for a similar wage, surely!

Hopefully Penney will come back and make left back his

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Can’t help but feel a bit screwed over by fletcher. Dodgy injury record and big wages and we took a gamble on him and gave him a home. Where does he plan on going exactly? 

back up to scotland?