Fletch, Forestieri and Fox reject contract extensions

Guest Ronson
2 minutes ago, Welsh76 said:

The one that annoys me most is that we’ve let Fox turn us down!!

FOX turned US down!!

Let that sink in; that how far we’ve fallen..

I wouldn't take it to heart pal.West Broms probably offered him more money and a 3 year deal. 

My initial thoughts when this news broke was that the players have made their millions off us, have seen the dark times coming, and are scarpering as fast as they can.

Even Fletcher and Fox who we thought MIGHT have stopped have took a look at the club and thought 'Nope. Not for me...' even though the current state of football is precarious for players to say the least

I'm going to let this news sink in further before commenting any more

Owlstalk Shop

52 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Start of our current predicament was not getting fees for the mid to late 90's squad. Never recovered.

Not easy when you end up getting a pittance for the likes of Di Canio and Carbone through no fault of our own.

40 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Hindsight eh.. not one fan would have sold him back then and I bet theres not one post from back then to suggest so. And now the chairman is getting slated for not selling. Fickle fans spring to mind.

I disagree, we were never going to get the best out of a player who wanted to leave. Id rather sell any player and cash in if they've had there head turned. It was never going to end with him giving his all for the club like season 1. 

• Like 2

Disappointed we wont have a player the quality of Fletcher but with his injury record it is probably better to spend his wage elsewhere.

Forestieri wages can definitely be better spent.

But I can't see how we can get a player or equivalent quality to replace Fox without spending more. Given there's be no transfer fee involved in signing him back on and his prior wage would be based upon a L1 player stepping up, I'm sure his departure will leave a hole in our finances if we want to get the same solid standard.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

My initial thoughts when this news broke was that the players have made their millions off us, have seen the dark times coming, and are scarpering as fast as they can.

Even Fletcher and Fox who we thought MIGHT have stopped have took a look at the club and thought 'Nope. Not for me...' even though the current state of football is precarious for players to say the least

I'm going to let this news sink in further before commenting any more

I think most of us have the gist of it.....especially if they have inside knowledge of whats going on...very worrying

• Like 2

Forestieri is no loss at all, should have been binned off a long time ago. We'll save loads by not paying his salary so that's good news as far as I can see. Fox, meh, yes improved a hell of a lot but still an average left back who we can easily replace. Fletcher could be a big loss but age and injury record very much against him so personally I don't think it was worth the gamble. We'll also save loads on his salary so again I'm pleased with that.

I'm happy with this news, big financial savings and a chance to bring in some new blood with youth pace and aggression.

Wonder if Fletcher and fox will get the better deals elsewhere that they think they are worth? Maybe not in the new football economy.

On players doing a runner and not seeing the season out what I would say is that this could well be a relegation deciding run of games

Last thing I'd want is some players who aren't in it for the club and giving 100%

It's dangerous to keep them in the team right now

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Therealrealist said:

Happy days..and please dont clap this mob if they ever return👍👍

I would certainly applaud Fletcher. Great attitude, and he has been one of our best players of the past two decades.

Forestieri. Perhaps. At his peak, he was very special for us. It is unlikely we will see individual talent of that quality here for some time.

Fox went from looking out of his depth to being a decent enough championship player, one felt perhaps to the chagrin of some of our less agreeable fans. I admire him for that.

• Like 3

How much salary have we cleared off the books with these moves?   I know FF and Fletch were on pretty big money...    

Maybe we can learn from this debacle and spend more wisely (you know "Wise Old Owls" with less emphasis on "OLD" moving forward)...