Hull CIty - The Athletic

On 24/06/2020 at 08:46, mattitheowl said:

It's easy to say they are running the club in to the ground but last season they turned a profit.  

It might not be palatable to some fans that they want to live within their means but a lot more clubs are going to have to start doing it (us included).

They've done well over the last 15 years based on the backing of the Allam family, but now they want to run the club properly the fans don't like it because it makes them realise they are small club that can't attract big names.

Clearly the family aren't the greatest when it comes to PR but it's hard to accuse them or running a club in to the ground when it's making money!

I'd happily argue that DC has done a FAR worse job with Wednesday!

Want to run the club properly eh? 

Their approach has worked wonders! Hull have tried to run a successful business model with the benefit of parachute payments and yet are still on the verge of the 3rd division having priced concessionary fans out for many seasons. 

Good business model though!

It's easy to say they are running the club in to the ground but last season they turned a profit.  

It might not be palatable to some fans that they want to live within their means but a lot more clubs are going to have to start doing it (us included).

They've done well over the last 15 years based on the backing of the Allam family, but now they want to run the club properly the fans don't like it because it makes them realise they are small club that can't attract big names.

Clearly the family aren't the greatest when it comes to PR but it's hard to accuse them or running a club in to the ground when it's making money!

This is complete rubbish. 

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 23:09, EXCALIBUR said:

How about being there 4 times in a month and we backed our team to the end.

Only about 2 thirds of tickets to the FA cup final replay were sold....And a quarter of these didn't get there till half time cos of the bad weather and traffic problems.

We were there early and could see how it unfolded.

Still made the Arsenal fans look like a picnic though with the noise we made.

On 18/07/2020 at 17:22, hirstyboywonder said:

Want to run the club properly eh? 

Their approach has worked wonders! Hull have tried to run a successful business model with the benefit of parachute payments and yet are still on the verge of the 3rd division having priced concessionary fans out for many seasons. 

Good business model though!

I'm sure they'll be bothered when they finish above us and Wigan, two clubs who are currently being run well...

• Haha 2

Just not bothered...

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

I'm sure they'll be bothered when they finish above us and Wigan, two clubs who are currently being run well...

What are you on about? Unless they win away to play-off chasing Cardiff on Wednesday they will definitely finish below a club that has gone into administration and will be deducted 12 points. Great way to run a football club that, I'm sure the supporters will be delighted that they may turn a profit.

12 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What are you on about? Unless they win away to play-off chasing Cardiff on Wednesday they will definitely finish below a club that has gone into administration and will be deducted 12 points. Great way to run a football club that, I'm sure the supporters will be delighted that they may turn a profit.

Is the profit down to the way they run the club, or down to the failure payments, don't know what sort of a profit they make

20 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What I'm on about is that they could still quite possibly finish above 2 teams who will be relegated for financial mismanagement.  

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

What I'm on about is that they could still quite possibly finish above 2 teams who will be relegated for financial mismanagement.  

Yeah, but that's not down to great ownership, is it? 

In fact - it points to the complete opposite, seeing as they were in the Prem in 2017.

• Like 1

So what?

They will only manage that if they win away to Cardiff who need a result to seal a play-off place and even then it might not be enough to prevent them finishing bottom.

This is not a great season to get relegated to the 3rd division with the loss of income and the instability of clubs at that level, no time to slap yourselves on the back for having money in the bank after selling your best 2 players in January, leading to 1 win in 19 games.

I'm struggling to see how anyone can really sit there and claim that an ownership, who have asset stripped, sold their best players, alienated most of their fanbase etc., are doing a good job. 

Bonkers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

I'm struggling to see how anyone can really sit there and claim that an ownership, who have asset stripped, sold their best players, alienated most of their fanbase etc., are doing a good job. 

Bonkers. 

Seems some people just don't like admitting they may have made a wrong call!

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Bonkers. 

Where have I said they're doing a good job?

My original point was more that a club like Hull have to live within their means (as do all clubs) and they have over achieved in the last 10-15 years, mainly down to the Allam family putting money in.  The family have now decided they no longer want to throw good money after bad at it.  What is a better situation for the club, losing £20m a year in the Championship or making money in League 1?  If they walk away the club is gone, dead, they could have it wound up tomorrow.

We've got an owner who's put in £200m to take us from lower mid table in the Championship to exactly the same place 5 years later.  And facing an EFL charge that could see us relegated.  

If either set of owners were to want to sell it's pretty easy to see which club would be the better buy for anyone wanting to buy a club!

Just not bothered...

Just now, the third man said:

Depends whether someone is looking for potential or not

This is such a myth.  Hull play in a nice new stadium with minimal rent paid to the council (who will never evict them).  They have a really good new training ground and facilities and have recently been in the EPL twice.  We play in a rusty old shed with a training ground that has an inflatable tent.  We haven't played in the top flight for over 20 years and our city neighbours are currently making us look like mugs.  Hulls closest rivals are Grimsby!

The only potential with Wednesday is to lose an awful lot of money.

Just not bothered...

3 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

This is such a myth.  Hull play in a nice new stadium with minimal rent paid to the council (who will never evict them).  They have a really good new training ground and facilities and have recently been in the EPL twice.  We play in a rusty old shed with a training ground that has an inflatable tent.  We haven't played in the top flight for over 20 years and our city neighbours are currently making us look like mugs.  Hulls closest rivals are Grimsby!

Rusty Old Shed?? Each to there own but I much prefer the older stadiums like Hillsborough, Elland Road and Villa Park to these new bowl like stadiums Hull have got.

Where have I said they're doing a good job?

My original point was more that a club like Hull have to live within their means (as do all clubs) and they have over achieved in the last 10-15 years, mainly down to the Allam family putting money in.  The family have now decided they no longer want to throw good money after bad at it.  What is a better situation for the club, losing £20m a year in the Championship or making money in League 1?  If they walk away the club is gone, dead, they could have it wound up tomorrow.

We've got an owner who's put in £200m to take us from lower mid table in the Championship to exactly the same place 5 years later.  And facing an EFL charge that could see us relegated.  

If either set of owners were to want to sell it's pretty easy to see which club would be the better buy for anyone wanting to buy a club!

You offered a pretty detailed defence of the way they run the club in the post below and seem to have since replied to somehow justify them selling their best players in January, helping them along the way to 1 win in 19 and almost certain relegation to the 3rd division.

They have only been running a profit due to parachute payments. When those stop next year if they are still a 3rd division club they will be a far from attractive proposition to purchase due to low income and crowds that have significantly reduced due to the way the owners have run the club. Remember many of them didn't even go to Wembley due to the way they felt about the owners and those relations haven't got any better resulting in average attendances of less than 12,000.

14 hours ago, bradowl said:

Rusty Old Shed?? Each to there own but I much prefer the older stadiums like Hillsborough, Elland Road and Villa Park to these new bowl like stadiums Hull have got.

I prefer the old style grounds too.  But you can't deny that Hillsborough is a relic.  And in some cases a millstone around our neck.  Our non-matchday income from the stadium is virtually zero.  Even the availability of offerings in the stadium is limited by the historic nature of it.

Just not bothered...

14 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Hulls closest rivals are Hull KR and Hull FC, nothing to do with football

love the rusty old shed, hate the plastic stadium they they don't own

Couldn't care less about United, they can think we are mugs if we want