THE EFL HEARING THREAD

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Sounds interesting. Didn’t realise the Dressing Room was that kind of place.

look I'm shielded  and there's no feckin way i'm going into a dressing room  my mum told me about that 

Edited by steelowl
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Those holes in the wall are not where they have removed the pegs, from where the out of contract players sat....

Don't worry its our dressing room by next week half the remaining squad will be in the injury room not the dressing room. lol 

3 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

No one's talking about "applauding failure".

Brentford get discussed more on here as a model of 'how things are done' than any other club. Yet their track record of bringing new talent through is as a result of reasonable expectation & patience from the fans regarding said new talent.

Both of these things singularly lacking at S6. Our expectations at S6 are off the scale compared to Brentford (rightly so), but our patience regarding younger players is non existent in comparison. 

You talk about "applauding failure" (another cosy twitter type soundbite), how can it be "failure" when a young player is finding his feet. There is always going to be a 'bedding in' process for younger players, at Brentford they are allowed the time, at S6 they are cut no slack at all, & immediately compared to hardened veterans such as Westwood or Hutchinson.

This attitude, typical of your response where things are either 'Black or white', 'Brilliant or a failure'.

As for "ruining any form of criticism". I can categorically 100% confirm, that is one thing that will never be in short supply at S6. However,  I still maintain that criticism of younger players needs to be tempered by the very fact they are 'younger players' which needs to be taken into account. 

I think sometimes we need to stop being so defensive of how great we are as fans and take a good hard look in the mirror.

Great post and so needed right now 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, mr g 1999 said:

What's the latest on the hearing, any updates? 

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack trying to find relevant info when you're trying to skim read through 66 pages lol

No updates until after the verdict is announced publically mate

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

22 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Yeah it’s all the fans fault.

Can you tell me one player who our fans have got on the back off who has gone on to be decent elsewhere?

Oh for god's sake, grow up. You sound like a spoilt kid whinging at a parent.

If a young player is wrecked in his formative years & not allowed the time to progress he's hardly likely to take the world by storm.

Going back to the Brentford scenario we all love quoting. Do you think they are MORE, or LESS patient with new upcoming potential talent than us.

Do you think youngsters would be MORE or LESS comfortable playing in front of their fans than ours.

Stop being so defensive. Our fan base is brilliant most / some of the time, but can be toxic as well. We need to acknowledge this instead of all talking to each other & telling each other how wonderful we are all the time.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Good job that crowds aren’t allowed in stadiums at the moment then.  Since our nasty fans aren’t there, there’s no excuse why we shouldn’t be expecting a great run of form until the end of the season then, right?

P.S. I never boo the team and yep, the crowd getting on Dawson’s back in 2018 didn’t help anyone.

Quite possibly might be an issue that works to our advantage.

As for "nasty fans". Same as last post, grow up, smell the coffee. We aren't perfect, stop being so defensive & acknowledge it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, max_7654 said:

Having lived about 10 minutes’ walk from Griffin Park until recently, I managed to get to quite a few Brentford games so always found the comparison between them and us quite interesting particularly. Football seemed to be much less of a priority in people’s lives than what it is up here; which was reflected in the match-day atmosphere. I don’t think they could ever create a Wycombe/Brighton/Carlisle type atmosphere but equally I think young, raw players are allowed time to make mistakes and ultimately develop without added pressure from fans (either in the stadium or on social media.) Even if we are not actively booing, the sub-conscious moans and groans after a player error are much more noticeable at Hillsborough. I think it’s a major reason why we have generally targeted so many older, experienced players who are expected to handle it better.

In the current squad, Da Cruz has already been written off by many after a handful of appearances, but as a young, cheap European import, he is a typical example of the type of player you would expect to succeed at Brentford and be sold on for profit; much to our envy. Ultimately, he may not turn out to be good enough but if he was at Brentford I am sure he would be allowed more than 5-6 games (mostly as a sub) before the verdict was made. As much as fans may be “entitled” to voice their grievance at poor performances, from my experience it seems to be much less of a factor at clubs like Brentford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Southampton etc who have a much better track record with developing players and a major reason why I think we would struggle to copy the “develop and sell” model.

Absolutely bang on.

I think Wednesday fans don't think it's cool to say something like "I've not really seen enough of this player to form a judgement yet"

Despite it being 100% true

I wish more people would step back a bit and think about their stance on things and I wish more would see it's totally fine to say something like that instead of having to nail an immediate judgement to a mast because of pressure from peers on social media.

I always have infinite more respect for someone who says "I don't know mate" instead of just having an instant guess, then not budging from that reply forever

lol

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Oh for god's sake, grow up. You sound like a spoilt kid whinging at a parent.

If a young player is wrecked in his formative years & not allowed the time to progress he's hardly likely to take the world by storm.

Going back to the Brentford scenario we all love quoting. Do you think they are MORE, or LESS patient with new upcoming potential talent than us.

Do you think youngsters would be MORE or LESS comfortable playing in front of their fans than ours.

Stop being so defensive. Our fan base is brilliant most / some of the time, but can be toxic as well. We need to acknowledge this instead of all talking to each other & telling each other how wonderful we are all the time.

Ive very rarely In 40 years been sat in a toxic crowd following the Owls. Social media is toxic, its also sometimes a load of garbage and if some players careers are dictated by words on here, twitter etc then they shouldnt be playing professional football. ALL teams have some muppet supporters, I believe we have a great fanbase personally

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, unkastav said:

Social media is toxic, its also sometimes a load of garbage and if some players careers are dictated by words on here, twitter etc then they shouldnt be playing professional football. 

According to some it's perfectly fine to harass our staff and players on twitter

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think Wednesday fans don't think it's cool to say something like "I've not really seen enough of this player to form a judgement yet"

Despite it being 100% true

I wish more people would step back a bit and think about their stance on things and I wish more would see it's totally fine to say something like that instead of having to nail an immediate judgement to a mast because of pressure from peers on social media.

I always have infinite more respect for someone who says "I don't know mate" instead of just having an instant guess, then not budging from that reply forever

lol

this should be a banner on 'new signing' threads