THE EFL HEARING THREAD

14 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Hmm. Maguire there says it’s the valuation of the ground that’s the issue. I have always thought the bigger issue would be the backdating of the sale.

As far as I was aware the valuation was agreed with EFL at the time. The issue was which years accounts it should be in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, max_7654 said:

Having lived about 10 minutes’ walk from Griffin Park until recently, I managed to get to quite a few Brentford games so always found the comparison between them and us quite interesting particularly. Football seemed to be much less of a priority in people’s lives than what it is up here; which was reflected in the match-day atmosphere. I don’t think they could ever create a Wycombe/Brighton/Carlisle type atmosphere but equally, I think young, raw players are allowed time to make mistakes and ultimately develop without added pressure from fans (either in the stadium or on social media.) Even if we are not actively booing, the sub-conscious moans and groans after a player error are much more noticeable at Hillsborough. I think it’s a major reason why we have generally targeted so many older, experienced players who are expected to handle it better.

In the current squad, Da Cruz has already been written off by many after a handful of appearances, but as a young, cheap European import, he is a typical example of the type of player you would expect to succeed at Brentford and be sold on for profit; much to our envy. Ultimately, he may not turn out to be good enough but if he was at Brentford I am sure he would be allowed more than 5-6 games (mostly as a sub) before the verdict was made. As much as fans may be “entitled” to voice their grievance at poor performances, from my experience it seems to be much less of a factor at clubs like Brentford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Southampton etc who have a much better track record with developing players and a major reason why I think we would struggle to copy the “develop and sell” model.

Case in point. In another thread   about Penney and Van Aken being available to.play and.some have already decided Van Aken is still crap despite not seeing him play for a season.

2 minutes ago, darra said:

Case in point. In another thread   about Penney and Van Aken being available to.play and.some have already decided Van Aken is still crap despite not seeing him play for a season.

I had high hopes for Van Aken, and he showed some great promise in his early games, but for what ever reason went off the boil. There is definitely a talented player in there. 

Guest paulvcooke
1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

Maguire knows jack Shiite

Bloke is a self-publicist, and a troll, pure and simple.

4 hours ago, Nero said:

As someone who lived in Osterley for a decent while I think you are bang on.

We are never going to be a club like Brentford and our fans are never going to be like Brentford fans. 

Yes, interesting, as one might guess from my user name, I don’t live a million miles away from Brentford’s ground and have dropped in to see the odd game over the years.

There, when a new player arrives on the scene, particularly if he’s come up though the ranks, you can palpably feel the home crowd, almost to a man, getting behind him, willing him to succeed and almost kicking every ball with him.

At Hillsborough, unfortunately, it sometimes feels as though the exact opposite is the case - the starting point seems to be “ we don’t think you’re good enough to play for SWFC, can you prove us wrong ?”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

At Hillsborough, unfortunately, it sometimes feels as though the exact opposite is the case - the starting point seems to be “ we don’t think you’re good enough to play for SWFC, can you prove us wrong ?”

sorry, that's complete rubbish.

See the comments about Alex Hunt as an example

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Yes, interesting, as one might guess from my user name, I don’t live a million miles away from Brentford’s ground and have dropped in to see the odd game over the years.

There, when a new player arrives on the scene, particularly if he’s come up though the ranks, you can palpably feel the home crowd, almost to a man, getting behind him, willing him to succeed and almost kicking every ball with him.

Utter gonads, I've heard some fans say the exact opposite - that home grown players get more leeway and time than others even when they aren't up to the job.

Penney got good backing when he broke onto the scene, fans were very encouraging, Hunt has only played a few minutes but has got rave reviews from some, Wildsmith was well supported initially and got good backing when he played against Man City, Dawson perhaps less so but that is largely down to the perception that he has played due to off field politics rather than being the best keeper at the club. If you look at some of the mistakes he has made, any keeper would get criticised. 

I doubt the fan base at most clubs have a significantly different mindset to any other when it comes to wanting young local players to succeed on the whole. 

6 hours ago, BIG D said:

It was a massive win at the time on our way to promotion. Probably my favourite season.

Back in the days when we really knew how to play!

How the hell can it be 30 years ago?

8 hours ago, Royal_D said:

I’ll be glad to see back of this just if it means I don’t have to read anymore articles involving Maguire 

The 2018/19 accounts are due to be released any week now aren’t they?

I’m sure Kieran Maguire will want to have his say on those.

Especially when you consider that the losses from the 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19 seasons will almost certainly be more than £39million.

I mean, it’s not like we’ve got another stadium we can sell to mask our chairman’s atrocious financial mismanagement of the club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I mean, it’s not like we’ve got another stadium we can sell to mask our chairman’s atrocious financial mismanagement of the club.

When DC announces the sale of that second stadium we'd all forgotten about.......WTF::Chansiri:lol

• Haha 2

Guest mkowl
14 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Especially when you consider that the losses from the 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19 seasons will almost certainly be more than £39million.

I am sure Maguire will have his say

Or you could actually read my posts and those from other accountants on the day as well. You know from us that actually prepare accounts day to day. 

Not due until 30th July btw

Guest Mcguigan
22 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the losses from just the 18/19 season were approaching £39m, never mind a combined three seasons losses.

Edited by Mcguigan

21 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

End of july they are due according to companies house

• Like 1