THE EFL HEARING THREAD

11 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Course he did, 100k bonus, no win, no ski.

Wigan appointed David Phillips QC to represent them. The appeal is reputed to be costing around 400-500k. They must have thought long and hard about risking that much surely?

40 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Wigan appointed David Phillips QC to represent them. The appeal is reputed to be costing around 400-500k. They must have thought long and hard about risking that much surely?

IF that’s true, surely there’s questions to be asked of the administrator. They’re trying to save £6m by selling players - 500k is a lot of money to them atm

4 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

They aren't arguing that they are arguing Force Majeure so it will be really interesting as it could set a precedent for any future appeals etc

Very interesting as you say, can't see how they can win this one given the circumstances but if they do win then it surely opens the door for many clubs to go into administration on this basis and appeal the points deduction while ever the virus is impacting.

An ownership structure that is has been funding a club beyond its revenue could feasibly say they can no longer continue to do so in the current climate and as such put the club into administration. They could then argue this came under force majeure to prevent the points deduction and the club could be sold on to anyone with the debts having been wiped. 

17 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

IF that’s true, surely there’s questions to be asked of the administrator. They’re trying to save £6m by selling players - 500k is a lot of money to them atm

But it's called a risk balance case - how much are they going to lose if they go down? So 500k against potentially millions is worth the risk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

The circumstances surrounding the administration seem to be pretty odd to say the least when you bear in mind there was a supposed change of ownership just a month or so earlier?

It would be easier to try and find a buyer for a championship club than a club in League 1 so from the administrators point of view despite the cost it is a calculated risk worth taking?

8 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

But it's called a risk balance case - how much are they going to lose if they go down? So 500k against potentially millions is worth the risk

So in effect they are trying to protect the level of income at Championship level to preserve as much money as possible to pay the creditors?

If that's the case then normally I could understand that as I think the TV money in the Championship might be worth around £5-6M more than League One but that doesn't take into account any reduction in TV money due to COVID and with fan restrictions the gate income is not likely to be significantly affected regardless of which division they will be in as things stand.

There also the potential for success to be taken into account - as far as I am aware no club has escaped the 12 point deduction for administration under the current rules. 

Also, Wigans staff might well be on a bonus for avoiding relegation which would need to be factored in. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So in effect they are trying to protect the level of income at Championship level to preserve as much money as possible to pay the creditors?

If that's the case then normally I could understand that as I think the TV money in the Championship might be worth around £5-6M more than League One but that doesn't take into account any reduction in TV money due to COVID and with fan restrictions the gate income is not likely to be significantly affected regardless of which division they will be in as things stand.

There also the potential for success to be taken into account - as far as I am aware no club has escaped the 12 point deduction for administration under the current rules. 

Also, Wigans staff might well be on a bonus for avoiding relegation which would need to be factored in. 

The first paragraph - yes I think that is why the appeal has been submitted and don't forget that most Administrators also get a bonus if they can sell the business as a going concern

With regards to Covid - I don't think anyone can put an actual figure on how much it's cost (yet). The rules around administration are very clear and -12 points is what it results in for the team.

With regards to playing contracts I'm uncertain as to how they would be affected by administration but knowing how they normally are bullet proof I think you are spot on with regards the bonus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

Excuse my ignorance so covid then? But didn’t he only take over a couple of weeks before admin? Seems a bit skimpy.  What I meant was HE put them into admin within a couple of weeks. Is he claiming “oh poo! I didn’t realise what I bought” or

” oh poo I didnt realise these were consequences” or

” oh poo. I never thought they’d actually stop up”

What in essence they are arguing is that because of Covid this has affected the 'available money' to be put into the club.

The rest is down to opinion or conjecture don't know enough about Wigan's owners to comment

3 hours ago, prowl said:

Wigan appeal should be over quickly.

" Did you call in the administrators?"

"Erm, sort of , a bit".

"Yes or no?"

"Might have."

" Is that a yes."

"Could be."

"One last time, yes or no?"

"Yes."

"The rules say if you call in administrators you get a 12 point deduction, so you are bang to rights."

" Next."lol

THE CAT DID IT. HONEST! 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/man-blames-cat-for-muck-downloads-1770059.html

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

It could be that relegation equals certain liquidation.

Horrible possibility.

Really feel for Wigan fans right now.

54 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Who is funding this appeal? Wigans local newspaper suggests the lawyers acting on behalf of the club are being paid £500,000.

Wigan's local paper-the Stoke Sentinel? It's 50 miles from Wigan to Stoke.

3 minutes ago, Patheard said:

Wigan's local paper-the Stoke Sentinel? It's 50 miles from Wigan to Stoke.

Erm, I read it on the Wigan Today website, I don't tend to get all my info solely from links on Owlstalk threads!