THE EFL HEARING THREAD

Almost every fan expects and demands that every player without exception play beyond the level of their own capability.

The problem arises because occasionally the player lifts himself way beyond the level we the fans are used to seeing and the fan creates a new norm of performance. Many fans understand the to and fro of performance level. But those that don't get angry mad.

My pet hate and conversely my best highs are the injury time goals. Who can ever forget Crossley's headed leveller in the 3-3 v Southampton. Strangely lives longer in the mind than the late goals we have conceded.     

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

I think Bannans a decent player.

HOWEVER, i dont believe in all the time he has been here, the club has ever found a set up to suit him and bring the best out of him.

Because of that, I think he has wasted his time here and much as we have wasted his talent. 

Sheridan had palmer playing beside him.  Bannan has had Crutchinson and Pelupessy - the worst player we have.  

42 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

It's not absolutely true, a sizeable section of fans got on his back at one game and he overcame that with a great display in the next. I went home and away and Sheridan was worshipped by 99.9999% of fans.

68% of statistics are made up on the spur of the moment

51 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

It's not absolutely true, a sizeable section of fans got on his back at one game and he overcame that with a great display in the next. I went home and away and Sheridan was worshipped by 99.9999% of fans.

I think the game you're on about was against Blackburn when he scored a penalty and ran to the Kop in a rather animated mood

Guest paulvcooke
29 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I think the game you're on about was against Blackburn when he scored a penalty and ran to the Kop in a rather animated mood

Was the game where he got the stick the 0-2 home defeat to Oxford? Missed a penalty in that game I think.

The Blackburn game was when he scored and ran towards the Kop (I thought it was a free kick, but it's a long time ago) with Palmer, Palmer made his feelings known. Haha.

16 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I'm not well up on youth football these day but lets do the Math.

How many school kids have a desire to 'Get on the books of a league club' ?

Of those, how many go on to play for their club at U13, U14, U15 and U16 level ? How many are lost to clubs with more prestige ?

Of those How many get offered U18 apprenticeships, a couple or three may be retained as over age. Big clubs can steal your youngsters.

At under 23 level players are expected to have acquired much of the skill set required to make the step up. They will have an arm put around them but ultimately they are measured and the decisions come as swift as a surgeons scalpel.

As we saw a couple of days ago the  very promising lad O'Brien got the sickening news; Much to his credit, unlike many, he wasn't devastated. He vowed to door knock until one opened which it probably will given his determination and work his way back to us.

Young O'Brien would have had much more of a chance under the old reserve system. A season to settle a season to play a little and then a season to show your worth.

So in a very scarce market top maybe 6 or 7 clubs corner the market on top quality which they spend top $. I don't know if you saw our FA youth Cup game away to Chelsea. It was men against boys and that's all you needed to watch to know the chasm that exists.        

Players can knock and have the desire, but ultimately they need to have ability and skill to succeed in football. 

I'm determined to play for Wednesday, I just lack the ability and skill required.

3 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

So you don't agree that Cameron Dawson's form & potentially his continued progress was impaired by the crowd getting on his back. And that's just one example.

Or do you maybe think chanting for Westwood whilst Dawson was on the pitch was a cunning motivational tactic.

We always class ourselves as these wonderful fans. Maybe hold our hands up now & again when we fall short of this rather than making a neat, consumer friendly soundbite.

Good job that crowds aren’t allowed in stadiums at the moment then.  Since our nasty fans aren’t there, there’s no excuse why we shouldn’t be expecting a great run of form until the end of the season then, right?

P.S. I never boo the team and yep, the crowd getting on Dawson’s back in 2018 didn’t help anyone.

16 minutes ago, paulvcooke said:

Was the game where he got the stick the 0-2 home defeat to Oxford? Missed a penalty in that game I think.

The Blackburn game was when he scored and ran towards the Kop (I thought it was a free kick, but it's a long time ago) with Palmer, Palmer made his feelings known. Haha.

That's the one - I remember a few booing him in the games and he wanted to remonstrate with the fans 

On 24/06/2020 at 14:41, theowlsman said:

I did my usual. Just dived in without reading anything, giving my opinions.

I have absolutely no clue where we are up to with this, but that won’t stop me offering views. 

I do worry about Mr C though. I’m sure that nobody has explained to him that “We’re Sheffield Wednesday, we’ll do what we want” has no legal grounds for support.

I always enjoy your posts. This forum needs more posters who discuss the issues but in a more balanced and sometimes lighthearted way.

3 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

So you don't agree that Cameron Dawson's form & potentially his continued progress was impaired by the crowd getting on his back. And that's just one example.

Or do you maybe think chanting for Westwood whilst Dawson was on the pitch was a cunning motivational tactic.

We always class ourselves as these wonderful fans. Maybe hold our hands up now & again when we fall short of this rather than making a neat, consumer friendly soundbite.

Having lived about 10 minutes’ walk from Griffin Park until recently, I managed to get to quite a few Brentford games so always found the comparison between them and us quite interesting particularly. Football seemed to be much less of a priority in people’s lives than what it is up here; which was reflected in the match-day atmosphere. I don’t think they could ever create a Wycombe/Brighton/Carlisle type atmosphere but equally I think young, raw players are allowed time to make mistakes and ultimately develop without added pressure from fans (either in the stadium or on social media.) Even if we are not actively booing, the sub-conscious moans and groans after a player error are much more noticeable at Hillsborough. I think it’s a major reason why we have generally targeted so many older, experienced players who are expected to handle it better.

In the current squad, Da Cruz has already been written off by many after a handful of appearances, but as a young, cheap European import, he is a typical example of the type of player you would expect to succeed at Brentford and be sold on for profit; much to our envy. Ultimately, he may not turn out to be good enough but if he was at Brentford I am sure he would be allowed more than 5-6 games (mostly as a sub) before the verdict was made. As much as fans may be “entitled” to voice their grievance at poor performances, from my experience it seems to be much less of a factor at clubs like Brentford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Southampton etc who have a much better track record with developing players and a major reason why I think we would struggle to copy the “develop and sell” model.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

I always thought that was a volley from just inside the area...but you may well be right mate...The players all gathered around him at the Kop and pointed to him

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I always thought that was a volley from just inside the area...but you may well be right mate...The players all gathered around him at the Kop and pointed to him

You’re right. He scored 2 that game, I think Viv scored the other.

Great night stood on the Kop.

8 minutes ago, BIG D said:

You’re right. He scored 2 that game, I think Viv scored the other.

Great night stood on the Kop.

It was a massive win at the time on our way to promotion. Probably my favourite season.

• Like 1