THE EFL HEARING THREAD

12 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Purely guesswork but - if it is the same holdup with us and Derby, wouldn’t that point towards the valuation of the grounds involved? I’m led to believe that’s where our 2 charges were similar. 

Mel Morris (the Derby Chairman) is quite a regular guest on Talksport.

A few months ago they specifically asked him about accusations that their ground was sold to himself at an inflated value.

His response was calm, confident and considered. He explained that a company buying the ground might seem unethical but it’s currently not against the EFL rules. He suggested that if the EFL feel it’s wrong then they need to change their rules.

Regards the valuation he explained that it’s not only a valuation of the bricks and mortar but also a valuation of how it can be used as a business. He explained that the DC stadium is very modern and is able to regularly hold concerts, exhibitions, weddings, banqueting etc etc therefore the potential to derive substantial income logically increases the value of an asset.

Edited by sheffsteel

1 hour ago, Jim said:

The EFL clearly do as they brought the hearing forward due to pressure from other teams? They probably even brought the original charges due to pressure from other teams?

Look at Barnsley for instance, safe as things stand but still getting their knickers in a twist about the way the EFL govern their members?

As I’ve said before if we’ve been found guilty of the charges then the EFL wouldn’t have wasted any time in making some sort of announcement at the very least?

Under the regulations the EFL can submit a request for expedition to the chairperson of the Independent Disciplinary Commission or League Arbitration Panel if there are compelling reasons for settling a case quickly. But the decision is theirs, not the EFL’s.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

A few months ago they specifically asked him about accusations that their ground was sold to himself at an inflated value.

His response was calm, confident and considered. He explained that a company buying the ground might seem unethical but it’s currently not against the EFL rules. He suggested that if the EFL feel it’s wrong then they need to change their rules.

Regards the valuation he explained that it’s not only a valuation of the bricks and mortar but also a valuation of how it can be used as a business. He explained that the DC stadium is very modern and is able to regularly hold concerts, exhibitions, weddings, banqueting etc etc therefore the potential to derive substantial income logically increases the value of an asset.

It is also with the Pride Park business estate one of the most sort after areas in the country, in comparison our stadium Hillsborough is in 1 of the top ten most deprived areas of the country.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

Derby have also structured a lease arrangement, which the club now pay an annual rent to Morris' other company - a bit like your own club with McCabe some time ago before he got greedy. DC could have done this, but it does seem pretty pointless unless this is funding your loan on the investment in the first place. DC doesn't appear to have these issue to worry about.

Derby's £80m valuation was adjusted by the EFL after Derby submitted their accounts. I'm not sure the £80m reflects the lease and therefore,market value, or the traditional depreciated replacement cost value, which as pride park is relatively new, will be more in value than Hillsborough's £60m, which seems to be about right.

In any case, both valuations were done in accordance with accountancy and property regulations, and undertake by regulated and registered consultancy firms. 

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

It is also with the Pride Park business estate one of the most sort after areas in the country, in comparison our stadium Hillsborough is in 1 of the top ten most deprived areas of the country.

https://inews.co.uk/news/most-deprived-areas-uk-list-ranking-blackpool-north-jaywick-343952 Not according to this it isn't

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Isn't a price merely a sum agreed by buyer and seller. Price is not necessarily linked to value. Value is entirely in the eye of the beholder. 

For instance. I have absolutely no desire for jewellery whatsoever. I see jewellery as useless inanimate objects that while not detracting from my life certainly don't enhance it. So jewellery to me is of no value whilst others revere the stuff, and will pay silly money.

I can't see why the EFL, The Government or anyone else should be bothered about what two parties agree as a price, so long as the necessary taxes are paid in full.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Absolute rubbish,,,,,i'd be surprised if it was in the top 100

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Isn't a price merely a sum agreed by buyer and seller. Price is not necessarily linked to value. Value is entirely in the eye of the beholder. 

For instance. I have absolutely no desire for jewellery whatsoever. I see jewellery as useless inanimate objects that while not detracting from my life certainly don't enhance it. So jewellery to me is of no value whilst others revere the stuff, and will pay silly money.

I can't see why the EFL, The Government or anyone else should be bothered about what two parties agree as a price, so long as the necessary taxes are paid in full.

Indeed a price is agreed between two parties but in our case it was agreed between one party and that price just happened to be enough to stop a football club from breaching the losses limits on a 3 year rolling scale. 

Just now, room0035 said:

Indeed a price is agreed between two parties but in our case it was agreed between one party and that price just happened to be enough to stop a football club from breaching the losses limits on a 3 year rolling scale. 

I should have said two entities. It doesn't matter the price agreed between them is not or should not be any business of the EFL so long as the exchequer is paid. It is not illegal to pay an over the top price for anything.

6 minutes ago, modboy said:

thats sheffield as a whole i think

I am past caring.

We will find out soon enough if the club has got off or has maybe got us relegated or heavily fined. Then on Friday in two days we find out how much money we lost last season and hopefully we won't have breached the EFL losses rules again.

Does anyone not think we have been given a suspended sentence, but because the accounts are so close to being filed (in 2 days) no judgment has been made public because all parties would look pretty stupid if on Friday we show losses that mean we have breach the rules for last season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I am past caring.

We will find out soon enough if the club has got off or has maybe got us relegated or heavily fined. Then on Friday in two days we find out how much money we lost last season and hopefully we won't have breached the EFL losses rules again.

Does anyone not think we have been given a suspended sentence, but because the accounts are so close to being filed (in 2 days) no judgment has been made public because all parties would look pretty stupid if on Friday we show losses that mean we have breach the rules for last season.

Yes I think the closeness of submitting last year's accounts could be a factor.... they will know roughly where we are going to land

Suspended sentence for the existing charges followed by another charge for a breach last year..... then a points reduction next year, we made their lives easier

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

Yes but presenting our argument and sitting in the deliberation of the panel are 2 different things 

he's done his job and now it's out of his hands 

So you think they’ve been deliberating for this long?