THE EFL HEARING THREAD

9 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

The Wigan appeal is going to run into August as there not even hearing it until 31st July , meaning a club may get relegated mid August pending on Wigan’s appeal !  Brilliant that 

Suppose non of that is down to the EFL either 

Then if Wigan win their appeal, forth bottom would be relegated and their owners would start legal proceedings against the EFL. The whole mess is a joke. 

This could quite easily be us forth bottom if we are deducted points. Then DC would start the whole legal process again. 

Edited by S36 OWL

9 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Then if Wigan win their appeal, forth bottom would be relegated and their owners would start legal proceedings against the EFL. The whole mess is a joke. 

This could quite easily be us forth bottom if we are deducted points. Then DC would start the whole legal process again. 

Yep, never thought of that 

Have to ask the question wether an appeal against a points deduction due to admin should be allowed really,  for me it’s a bit cut and dried

As much as I do have sympathy for Wigan’s fans,  administration in any form has to carry that penalty and if it doesn’t there opening up a whole can of worms because everyone will be at it 

Relegate them and give them +12 in league one if appeal is successful would be a better situation

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Good point, what a blinking mess.

• Like 1

I genuinely don't know if I should be completely relaxed, or scared s h i t less about tonight's result now.

The EFL statement added nothing, just platitudinous guff, that could be read in numerous ways. Bottom 3 decided by tonight's games, then subject to ongoing hearings.... WTF

As it happens, I don't completely blame the EFL like others seem to. The rules are there, and us and Derby were deemed to have broken them, so the governing body had to at least be seen to be doing something. Then add in Covid, then add in the panel seemingly going on holiday for 3 weeks, then add in the Wigan situation too.

It's created an absolute cluster ****, a perfect storm, the likes of which I don't think the league has ever seen before.

Whatever happens though, what the EFL have to do going forward, or at least try and get the clubs to agree to, is to provide more transparency on the processes. At least the panel should be made to let supporters know when hearings are starting, and provide an indicative timeframe for resolution.

This uncertainty is not healthy for anyone. Anxiety for the fanbase & club's owners, frustration (I am sure) for the EFL as they want to get this resolved too, and probably worst of all, a complete lack of respect for, and lack of trust in the whole process going forward.

Lawyers are rubbing their hands, whilst everyone else is tearing their hair out.

Edited by Sheff74
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Good point, what a blinking mess.

This could quite easily be going through the courts for months and months. 

It's a farce. It's embarrassing. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

The Wigan appeal is going to run into August as there not even hearing it until 31st July , meaning a club may get relegated mid August pending on Wigan’s appeal !  Brilliant that 

Suppose non of that is down to the EFL either 

Well, it is Aug at the end of next week! 

3 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Well, it is Aug at the end of next week! 

Need to come up with a plan then don’t they , or we just cruising into next season with potential of someone getting relegated 2 or 3 games in 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Need to come up with a plan then don’t they , or we just cruising into next season with potential of someone getting relegated 2 or 3 games in 

I just the feeling the EFL know they are facing legal proceedings from whichever three clubs are relegated, and havnt got a clue what to do. 

As I see it, if we arnt given enough of a deduction to relegate us, The team finishing third bottom  after tonight will sue the EFL. 

IF Wigan finish in the bottom three and win their appeal, forth bottom will sue the EFL. 

If we are deducted points and finish forth bottom and Wigan finish in bottom three and win their appeal, Chansiri will sue the EFL. 

What a sorry state of affairs. 

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

It would be hard to challenge in a court of law for financial damages if the independent panel satisfy certain criteria, which I am sure they will be aware of when making a decision.

eg.

Did the panel have a genuine belief that the party was guilty/not guilty of the misconduct in question?

Did they have reasonable grounds to sustain that belief?

Had reasonable investigations been carried out?

Was the sanction a fair sanction?

To challenge an arbitration ruling in the courts under section 68 of the Arbitration Act 1996 an applicant must prove that there is a “serious irregularity” and that the serious irregularity caused substantial injustice to the applicant. In general courts uphold arbitration decisions

• Like 1

The EFL need to put this all to bed as soon as the season is over.  

It could massively affect us and others when it comes to recruiting for next season, the EFL statement suggests if your in the relegation positions come end of the season you have to assume you are going to be relegated, by that same token we will not be in the bottom three so can assume we will be in the championship.  If we do a recruitment drive based on Championship money but later get relegated to league one how is that going to work?  We will end up back in court having failed P&S rules.

Also no half decent championship player will want to come to us with the risk that we could be in league one next season not the championship..

Its a ridiculous situation. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

It could massively affect us and others when it comes to recruiting for next season, the EFL statement suggests if your in the relegation positions come end of the season you have to assume you are going to be relegated, by that same token we will not be in the bottom three so can assume we will be in the championship.  If we do a recruitment drive based on Championship money but later get relegated to league one how is that going to work?  We will end up back in court having failed P&S rules.

Also no half decent championship player will want to come to us with the risk that we could be in league one next season not the championship..

100% this. Excellent post. 

31 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

Season doesn’t finish until 4th August. 

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

As expected, Wigan will be deducted 12 points tonight and the league table will reflect it (Source: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/efl-wigan-points-deduction-championship-18640821)

So in a scenario where after the deduction they are in the bottom three, they are the relegated club.  If the appeal moves in to next season and the Championship season starts, then there'll be little to be done for the 20/21 season.

Again, I don't think Wigan stand a chance on the appeal, but putting it out there.

You really got to feel for Paul Cook.  Seems a really good guy.

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

Haven't you heard, we may be expelled from the league, admin and start again from 2nd div.

Its in all the news...

Haven't you heard.............................we may not be proven guilty.

It's in all the different news lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Maple Staple said:

My thoughts thrown into the mix of what possibly could happen:

Points deduction, but only enough to puts us one place above the relegation zone due to prize money received for finishing position. Macclesfield looks like its a precedence. Ensures only win the minimum payment for staying up. Had to wait to announce it so correct deduction can be applied.

Lots of information in the media about right to appeal and that if appeal drags on, may not even be next season any punishment can be applied. This is could be for relegated teams in that if they complain and any punishment is not done all in one go, still wont affect them going down.

My opinion/prediction: Points deduction and a fine. Wednesday happy because we stay up. EFL happy as applied punishment. Fine covers prize money, so not made anything from season. Then, all dealt with, close loop hole, everything starts afresh in a few weeks time.

There's no positional prize money in the Championship. It's a standard amount of £2.3m per club with £4.5 EPL solidarity payment so there would be no need to wait for the final league position to calculate the fine if they wanted to do it that way.

Going into Admin.....the rules are clear...EFL had no input to affect or sanction this..sorry Wigan................................Selling our ground...EFL (allegedly) & Accountants had input to effect and sanction it...........WE SHOULD BE EXONERATED......NO PUNISHMENT.............EFL are in a big hole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1