THE EFL HEARING THREAD

22 minutes ago, Heeleyowl said:

Wishful thinking but ....  Easy way out for the EFL if we are found guilty by the panel - dock us however many points to keep us up by goal difference.  I know there are statutory guidelines on punishment but I’m sure there’s enough ambiguity and confusion in our specific circumstances (hence the panel in the first place) to allow some flexibility.  They will have then fulfilled their responsibilities through due process.  No complaints from us, no avenue for litigation from the relegated clubs!

Is it too hard to understand that the EFL neither reach the judgement nor set the punishment?

34 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Decisions of Disciplinary Commissions can be appealed. Appeals are heard by a League Arbitration Panel, Their decisions can’t be appealed

but any decision taken by whatever commission or panel surely can be challenged in a british court of law for financial damages stemming from their decision?

hence the current delay in decision announcement?

5 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

but any decision taken by whatever commission or panel surely can be challenged in a british court of law for financial damages stemming from their decision?

Having opted to go to arbitration as opposed to litigation there is very little scope to revert to the courts subsequently. 

Edited by HarrowbyOwl

12 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

It would be hard to challenge in a court of law for financial damages if the independent panel satisfy certain criteria, which I am sure they will be aware of when making a decision.

eg.

Did the panel have a genuine belief that the party was guilty/not guilty of the misconduct in question?

Did they have reasonable grounds to sustain that belief?

Had reasonable investigations been carried out?

Was the sanction a fair sanction?

Edited by Hookowl

21 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I guess all clubs agree to follow the EFL rules / code. It probably says in there that the decision of the appeal panel is final, thus negating any chance of further law suits 

4 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

It would be hard to challenge in a court of law for financial damages if the independent panel satisfy certain criteria, which I am sure they will be aware of when making a decision.

eg.

Did the panel have a genuine belief that the party was guilty/not guilty of the misconduct in question?

Did they have reasonable grounds to sustain that belief?

Had reasonable investigations been carried out?

Was the sanction a fair sanction?

The thing is that although IDCs and LAPs are Part of the EFL rules they are not Mickey Mouse affairs. They are arbitral proceedings, i.e. conducted under the terms of the Arbitration Act 1996. So decisions carry a lot of legal weight. Apart from being longer, potentially much more expensive, and more rigid in terms of rules of evidence, procedure  etc., going through the court system is unlikely to offer any greater chance of success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Nut said:

Their argument would be that we got our points by cheating - that if we hadn't overspent we would have a weaker team and wouldn't have gained as many points as we have. 

bloody hell it would be pretty hard to get less points than we have by Christmas! 

As expected, Wigan will be deducted 12 points tonight and the league table will reflect it (Source: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/efl-wigan-points-deduction-championship-18640821)

So in a scenario where after the deduction they are in the bottom three, they are the relegated club.  If the appeal moves in to next season and the Championship season starts, then there'll be little to be done for the 20/21 season.

Again, I don't think Wigan stand a chance on the appeal, but putting it out there.

1 hour ago, kobayashi said:

Is it too hard to understand that the EFL neither reach the judgement nor set the punishment?

Who appoints this IDP ?  Who owns the process that the IDP are a part of ?   

Bewilders me that people wanna defend the EFL and exonerate them from any accountability to this delay 

7 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Bewilders me that people wanna defend the EFL and exonerate them from any accountability to this delay 

90.3 A Disciplinary Commission shall consist of:

90.3.1 a chairperson who shall be either:

(a) a qualified solicitor or barrister; or

(b) a ‘member’ or ‘fellow’ of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators,

in either case with at least 5 years post-qualification experience who shall be appointed independently by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (or such other body as the Board may from time to time determine); and

90.3.2 two suitably qualified side members one of whom shall be selected by the Claimant and the other (subject to Regulation 90.4), by the Respondent,

Source: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-8---offences-inquiries-commissions-disputes-and-appeals/

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Bewilders me that people don't know what the "I" in "IDP" stands for...

Just not bothered...

4 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

The EFL are partially accountable for the delay in how long it took to get to the IDP stage, although I guess the pandemic had some part to play in this.

The EFL aren't accountable for how long the IDP take to reach a decision though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Manwë said:

in either case with at least 5 years post-qualification experience who shall be appointed independently by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (or such other body as the Board may from time to time determine); and

90.3.2 two suitably qualified side members one of whom shall be selected by the Claimant and the other (subject to Regulation 90.4), by the Respondent,

Source: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-8---offences-inquiries-commissions-disputes-and-appeals/

I bet they are all Liverpool fans or Blades or sommat. I tell thee 

la la la la laaaarrra lala 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

Fair enough there appointed independently,    Just find it absolutely unbelievable that an organisation that are supposed to be in place to protect the integrity of the sport and deal with these kinds of issues can’t be held accountable whatsoever for this delay 

Absolute sham and they need to change the way they work 

The Wigan appeal is going to run into August as there not even hearing it until 31st July , meaning a club may get relegated mid August pending on Wigan’s appeal !  Brilliant that 

Suppose non of that is down to the EFL either 

My thoughts thrown into the mix of what possibly could happen:

Points deduction, but only enough to puts us one place above the relegation zone due to prize money received for finishing position. Macclesfield looks like its a precedence. Ensures only win the minimum payment for staying up. Had to wait to announce it so correct deduction can be applied.

Lots of information in the media about right to appeal and that if appeal drags on, may not even be next season any punishment can be applied. This is could be for relegated teams in that if they complain and any punishment is not done all in one go, still wont affect them going down.

My opinion/prediction: Points deduction and a fine. Wednesday happy because we stay up. EFL happy as applied punishment. Fine covers prize money, so not made anything from season. Then, all dealt with, close loop hole, everything starts afresh in a few weeks time.