THE EFL HEARING THREAD

3 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

When you say “our track record”, do you think the fans take some responsibility for this?

They scream for youngsters to be given a chance & then scream abuse at them to be replaced by the likes of Westwood & Hutch for example.

The expectation levels at places like Brentford have never been anywhere near ours which has given them much more time for players to develop. 
We had a whole crop of youngsters who were touted as having potential, but either weren’t good enough or were crucified, never to be seen again after the Jos era.

We have to admit, we ain’t the most patient of fans regarding cutting youngsters some slack.

You’ll never win owt with kids....:ghoulguy:

52 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

When you say “our track record”, do you think the fans take some responsibility for this?

They scream for youngsters to be given a chance & then scream abuse at them to be replaced by the likes of Westwood & Hutch for example.

The expectation levels at places like Brentford have never been anywhere near ours which has given them much more time for players to develop. 
We had a whole crop of youngsters who were touted as having potential, but either weren’t good enough or were crucified, never to be seen again after the Jos era.

We have to admit, we ain’t the most patient of fans regarding cutting youngsters some slack.

Agreed.

If we want to develop youth we have to be committed to that plan for the long term. I think neither DC or the fans have the patience for it.

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Probably somewhere around £100k pw I'd have thought. But we'll still need to sign replacements for them in the squad, and these reductions won't affect the accounts for another couple of years. Even then we've still got Rhodes, Bannan, Lees, Westwood, probably Reach on big money contracts for another year. 

By the time are accounts feel the benefit of the likes of Fletcher, Forestieri, Winnall, Fox being off the wage bill the P&S rules will probably have changed.

Who knows when stadiums will be able to be at full capacity, it's not likely to be at the start of any new season and a potential new wave of the virus in winter could impact further. Season ticket sales will likely be impacted & clubs/leagues will consider putting in terms and conditions to better protect themselves. Sponsorship revenue will likely reduce if there is nobody in the stadiums to see the sponsorship and food and merchandise sales will reduce. 

At the same time clubs will need to keep paying players on long-term contracts that they couldn't afford when revenues were at the level they planned for.

The vast majority of clubs at our level were paying over 100% of their income in wages as it was, the accounts for this season and next can't realistically be expected to comply with current P&S rules. 

6 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Agreed.

If we want to develop youth we have to be committed to that plan for the long term. I think neither DC or the fans have the patience for it.

I'm not well up on youth football these day but lets do the Math.

How many school kids have a desire to 'Get on the books of a league club' ?

Of those, how many go on to play for their club at U13, U14, U15 and U16 level ? How many are lost to clubs with more prestige ?

Of those How many get offered U18 apprenticeships, a couple or three may be retained as over age. Big clubs can steal your youngsters.

At under 23 level players are expected to have acquired much of the skill set required to make the step up. They will have an arm put around them but ultimately they are measured and the decisions come as swift as a surgeons scalpel.

As we saw a couple of days ago the  very promising lad O'Brien got the sickening news; Much to his credit, unlike many, he wasn't devastated. He vowed to door knock until one opened which it probably will given his determination and work his way back to us.

Young O'Brien would have had much more of a chance under the old reserve system. A season to settle a season to play a little and then a season to show your worth.

So in a very scarce market top maybe 6 or 7 clubs corner the market on top quality which they spend top $. I don't know if you saw our FA youth Cup game away to Chelsea. It was men against boys and that's all you needed to watch to know the chasm that exists.        

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Amen to that

Owlstalk Shop

41 minutes ago, Ronson said:

53 pages of bluster, this thread is going to go from unclear to nuclear when a verdict comes out.😀 

A clear cut case of playing the right notes (or in this case letters) but not necessarily in the right order!

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

It won’t just be this thread mate

The entire fanbase will go up

We had a few lean years prior to big Jacks arrival but since then our Fan base has been very solid on the whole. Were the worst to happen I and many I know would still be there, any that went missing wouldn't really be missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guest Grandad
8 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Agreed.

And rightly so given what we were sold

5 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

We had a few lean years prior to big Jacks arrival but since then our Fan base has been very solid on the whole. Were the worst to happen I and many I know would still be there, any that went missing wouldn't really be missed.

I'm not talking about anyone going missing - I don't that would be the case.

I'm talking about if this charge goes against us and the worst was to happen we'd get people criticising Chansiri and then others saying they weren't proper fans for doing so, that they should clear off and get t'lane etc etc

If the charge goes FOR us and we get zero punishment the same people will come on here saying nobody should have criticised Chansiri, and they aren't proper fans and they should get t'lane

Ps - I'm surprised you said people going missing wouldn't be missed - that really is such an insular way of looking at things, and I would have thought you as a staunch Wednesday fan wouldn't just want every single fan to stay with us but would would even more to come join us?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not talking about anyone going missing - I don't that would be the case.

I'm talking about if this charge goes against us and the worst was to happen we'd get people criticising Chansiri and then others saying they weren't proper fans for doing so, that they should clear off and get t'lane etc etc

If the charge goes FOR us and we get zero punishment the same people will come on here saying nobody should have criticised Chansiri, and they aren't proper fans and they should get t'lane

Ps - I'm surprised you said people going missing wouldn't be missed - that really is such an insular way of looking at things, and I would have thought you as a staunch Wednesday fan wouldn't just want every single fan to stay with us but would would even more to come join us?

This divide between the fans has been there for ages now. And I many others have been openly critical of DC for a long time and get lambasted for any negative comments regarding the mighty king.

agree that it will only get worse after the hearing. Though if the worst happened and we were docked point there will be some chansiri lovers who immediately swap sides (which makes no sense at all) but I’ve no doubt that to a large number we could get deducted points and it will still be anyone’s fault apart from Chansiri’s. if the hearing goes our way I can already see the chanisiri lovers spouting off like he’s some sort of legal genius, totally forgetting the mess we’re still i  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

Though if the worst happened and we were docked point there will be some chansiri lovers who immediately swap sides 

I don't think they will

Human nature has changed

These days people pick a side immediately over something and stick religiously to it and basically twist things and change reality to back up their stance.

So it'll be the EFL's fault, Steve Gibson, Middlesborough, Barnsley, Rob Staton, Andy Giddings, The BBC's fault etc

You just watch...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop