2 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Don't forget, the season doesn't end tomorrow.

According to the EFL statement, for the sake of Wigan & Wednesday anyway, it does end tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Manwë said:

According to the EFL statement, for the sake of Wigan & Wednesday anyway, it does end tomorrow.

Doesn't that say subject to ongoing investigations though? Don't want people celebrating us staying up cos we've had no decision by 10pm tomorrow night. The axe can still fall. 

• Like 1

The season ends after the play off final. Tomorrow night isn’t that relevant in the timeline. 

• Like 1

In the event we score (and hopefully not cencede in the last match) I hope every player wears a tee shirt under home shirt that says "Hello Gibbo" or similar...... 

"In the specific case of Wednesday evening’s final round of Championship matches for season 2019/20, and any potential impact on divisional standings, relegation will be confirmed for the Clubs in 22nd, 23rd and 24th positions in the Championship table following the conclusion of those matches and will be subject to the resolution of any ongoing proceedings" (Source: https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/efl-statement-ongoing-disciplinary-proceedings/)

It's clear from that statement that the season ends tomorrow for those not involved in the play-offs, although there's a big get-out clause.

Wigan will be deducted points after tomorrow, but then they will appeal.  It's at that point that it gets very confusing, as to whether the points deduction is applied (thus saving another team), but then later rescinded (thus placing the other team back down).  The thing with football is the clock is always ticking and you can't stop it, no matter how much you want to.  It's no good doing things in pre-season either, because some clubs will have escaped the jurisdiction of the EFL (see Villa).

Personally, I think the Wigan appeal is nonsense although they as a club have my sympathy.  They have claimed that Covid has stopped their owner investing money and that the pandemic was unforeseen.  Considering that the owner bought the club during the pandemic I don't know how they can argue it, but I guess it's worth them trying for the sake of it.

• Like 2

Makes no sense that relegation is “subject to resolution of any ongoing proceedings”. Transfer window opens next week... how are the clubs relegated supposed to plan? What if we start bringing in players we couldn’t afford if we was to drop into L1.

Such a mess, I hope this doesn’t become the norm in football. However I fear points deductions and court proceedings will be very much that. Sad really. 

• Like 2

Come in peace lads, as we are in the same boat. Are you reading the part "resolution of any ongoing proceedings" to include Wednesday and Derby, or just Swansea? Surely all three are in "ongoing proceedings"? And therefore it implies all verdicts will be applied to this year's table even if after the final games?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Come in peace lads, as we are in the same boat. Are you reading the part "resolution of any ongoing proceedings" to include Wednesday and Derby, or just Swansea? Surely all three are in "ongoing proceedings"? And therefore it implies all verdicts will be applied to this year's table even if after the final games?

Swansea? what have they been up to?

Edited by matt68owls

12 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

Swansea? what have they been up to?

The plot thickens

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

I agree. The Guillotine is still poised to drop this season

A 524 page summary for those who like to skim through posts:  Its a mess and not sorted out as yet.  You're welcome.

Just seen this

IMG-20200721-WA0003.jpg

• Thanks 1

Let’s say -12 is incoming this season. 

In order to stay up, we need Hull, Barnsley and Wigan to lose and a win for us tomorrow night.

Anything else and I fear for us.

1 minute ago, 442 said:

Let’s say -12 is incoming this season. 

In order to stay up, we need Hull, Barnsley and Wigan to lose and a win for us tomorrow night.

Anything else and I fear for us.

Hull, Barnsley and Wigan will lose.  

Wednesday will draw 0-0.

(I'm not ITK, I just know Wednesday).

• Haha 1

So deduction could still come into play this season ?    

What exactly was the point in that statement last night then ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

Hull, Barnsley and Wigan will lose.  

Wednesday will draw 0-0.

(I'm not ITK, I just know Wednesday).

That scenario would see us finish second bottom.

Am I the only person reading that statement as relegation will be decided subject to the outcomes of any proceedings—i.e. no one knows the final league table until the panel has reached a verdict?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Ian_D said:

A 524 page summary for those who like to skim through posts:  Its a mess and not sorted out as yet.  You're welcome.

We could probably just make that the first post on each page, or better yet change the thread title to "THE EFL HEARING THREAD - NOWT'S HAPPENED, NOBODY KNOWS" :laugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dr. benway said:

Am I the only person reading that statement as relegation will be decided subject to the outcomes of any proceedings—i.e. no one knows the final league table until the panel has reached a verdict?

Spot on, exactly as i read it.

Don't get the confusion 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

So deduction could still come into play this season ?    

What exactly was the point in that statement last night then ?

It was a pass the buck exercise and confirmation that Wigan will be deducted 12 points at full time on Wednesday, which they can then subsequently appeal.

What will be interesting is *when* Wigan will appeal it, because they have 14 days to lodge an appeal and delaying it until the last possible minute will then have a knock on effect and will put the start of next season in question. Basically a final "f*ck you" bomb to drop on the EFL as they (potentially) drop out of the division.