THE EFL HEARING THREAD

14 minutes ago, mogbad said:

It's very odd & dispite the mistakes DC has made during his ownwership I don't believe that he would have gone through with the stadium sale if he didn't believe he had permission to do so from the EFL.

As others have said we don't know the contents of the further information that th EFL claims to have & why didn't they ask for this information prior to allowing the sale to be put into the said years accounts. More worryingly is it information that the club witheld.

We also don't know if any caveats were incuded in the permission from the EFL. They may have said "based on the information supplied we will allow the stadium sale to be included in the said years accounts but should any further information come to light that contradicts the information supplied then we reserve the right to carry out an investigation & take any necessary disciplinary action".

I would agree with most of that mate, but on your first point I do wonder, simply because Chansiri knew that without the stadium sale we would breach FFP anyway, probably have been docked points and be subject to another embargo. Remember his "whatever it takes" to get promoted speech? 

I just think he, perhaps, saw this a gamble worth taking, i.e if promotion is achieved the EFL can't touch us. Sadly, imo, he has never really had a realistic view of what those players were capable of and had his specs permanently rose tinted by the first Carlos season.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AsioOtus said:

but if you grow up in Sheff (or anywhere in South Yorks.  East Mids, Lincolnshre, West Yorks and even Greater Manchester) you ain't going to join Brentford academy. 

Yes they have a big catchment area and can pick up from other clubs like you say, but we are also in the middle of a large population area with decent transport links.  Geographically I think we are better placed than many other clubs. Obviously there is lots of competition also in same catchment area, but same for Brentford too.

Any although their catchment is big, I am not sure you can view London as one catchment area.  They are in West London which isn't the easiest to get to from alot of other areas across London - not impossible by any means, but you could be talking a couple of hours travel each way from other side of London.

Fair enough. I didn't grow up in Sheffield but have lived in London (Central / West London as it happens) as a young man with some coin. It really is something special at that stage in one's life and career and I just find it very hard to believe that any young footballer - for the same money if not more - wouldn't choose an opportunity to test themselves in London absent their local club came calling. There will be exceptions, but I don't think that many.

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

I think you're absolutely right mate.

I also happen to think the EFL are on very dodgy ground here.

They remind me of the EU in a lot of ways. Threats, warnings, more threats until we are brainwashed into thinking 'we can't win'.

Stand up to them, throw their threats back in their faces & they shrink like any bullies.

The EFL in bringing the case forward to placate Steve Gibson & some bitter 6 fingered types who are already doomed regardless, shows the nature of the EFL beast. 

I also wonder whether they have come across someone as stubborn as DC (and the Derby protagonists) not to mention the money on Barristers he will be willing to throw at it.

The EFL can't back out now, they'd lose face, but they will see our case, they will see the might of Derby's case looming and be thinking "what have we taken on here".

They have already lost the first round. I fully expect an agreement where we allow our wrist to be tickled but it be called a "slap" accept a token punishment & move on.

I also happen to think it will mark the beginning of the end (to quote Churchill) of the current structure and modus operandi of the EFL and not before time.

Not so sure about that last sentence , I don't see the Prem giving wat to easily. The FA appear happy in their retirement and maybe the Government have enough on their hands. So, Hey it maybe down to the Lazy fans !   

4 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

I would agree with most of that mate, but on your first point I do wonder, simply because Chansiri knew that without the stadium sale we would breach FFP anyway, probably have been docked points and be subject to another embargo. Remember his "whatever it takes" to get promoted speech? 

I just think he, perhaps, saw this a gamble worth taking, i.e if promotion is achieved the EFL can't touch us. Sadly, imo, he has never really had a realistic view of what those players were capable of and had his specs permanently rose tinted by the first Carlos season.

Possibly yes, he certainly comes across as the type that buries his head in the sand & hopes everything will be ok when he comes up for air.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sage owl said:

He told me that he wouldn't due to people constantly criticising the owner. 

Can't think who he was referring to. 

Me neither but you only criticise when you do something wrong - and there is soooo much to pick from.lol

14 minutes ago, ljhowl said:

Fair enough. I didn't grow up in Sheffield but have lived in London (Central / West London as it happens) as a young man with some coin. It really is something special at that stage in one's life and career and I just find it very hard to believe that any young footballer - for the same money if not more - wouldn't choose an opportunity to test themselves in London absent their local club came calling. There will be exceptions, but I don't think that many.

Brentford are not the only club in the championship getting good young players and improving them then selling on, and improving their team and club. 

If you don't want Brentford use the Bristol City model, the Preston North End model both teams who produce good youth or buy lower league players improve them and sell on for more.

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

I think you're absolutely right mate.

I also happen to think the EFL are on very dodgy ground here.

They remind me of the EU in a lot of ways. Threats, warnings, more threats until we are brainwashed into thinking 'we can't win'.

Stand up to them, throw their threats back in their faces & they shrink like any bullies.

The EFL in bringing the case forward to placate Steve Gibson & some bitter 6 fingered types who are already doomed regardless, shows the nature of the EFL beast. 

I also wonder whether they have come across someone as stubborn as DC (and the Derby protagonists) not to mention the money on Barristers he will be willing to throw at it.

The EFL can't back out now, they'd lose face, but they will see our case, they will see the might of Derby's case looming and be thinking "what have we taken on here".

They have already lost the first round. I fully expect an agreement where we allow our wrist to be tickled but it be called a "slap" accept a token punishment & move on.

I also happen to think it will mark the beginning of the end (to quote Churchill) of the current structure and modus operandi of the EFL and not before time.

Youre much nicer when you arent angry

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I do wonder if DC own word could cost him, I seem to remember him saying the season after these accounts are for that  would miss FFP by an 8 figure sum. Not something you would say if you had already 6 months early sold the stadium to cover the losses.

This was from an article on the BBC in July 19 after we filed out last accounts, presumable some on here were at that forum can confirm if the below is true-

In December, Mr Chansiri told a fans forum the club had broken the financial rules by an eight-figure sum - so at least £10m. Now for the same accounting period, Wednesday are showing a profit.

So if the ground had already been sold, or a contract was in place to sell it, why didn't Sheffield Wednesday tell anyone about it at that fans forum and put fans' minds at ease?

And why does the land registry still show (July 19) Sheffield Wednesday as the owners of Hillsborough if it was sold months, possibly years ago?

It is all very strange. However he might not have mentioned the stadium sale at the fans forum because he wasn't 100% sure it would happen or he wasn't sure it would be allowed by the EFL. To be included in the July 19 accounts there only has to be a document in place by 31st July 2019 that states an intention to sell the stadium.

For me the seemingly mad rush to get it all done nearly a year later sets off alarm bells.

• Like 1

Brentford’s model has little to do with catchment area and “conveyor belt”

1 They don’t have a youth academy so attracting players is solely down to the recruitment team of the 1st team. 

2 Most of Brentford’s moneyball signings have come from either lower league clubs or foreign clubs, recent examples of Ollie Watkins from Exeter and Benrama from Nice (He was in their second team). 

The simple fact is Brentford have recruited very smartly for a number of years where as we threw money at over priced players because we only had a short term plan. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

yeah probably so. Would love to know what the new evidence is. 

A principal in English law is that a Gentlemen word is his honour. In DC case there is no dispute of his intent or the date which that intent was to come into play. There can be no contention because the spoken contract was between two companies wholly owned by DC. ( That date was a best fit to improve the status of SWFC) Whatever a scribe may have written consequently is of no consequence and makes no sense in terms of DC improving the fortunes of his club.  

Guest Bulgaria
34 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We should get him to buy us

Buy us?

I would start him up front for mission impossible 6.