THE EFL HEARING THREAD

22 minutes ago, pioowl said:

Investment is supplying funds hoping the business will benefit from it.The club is not homeless.The clubs  owner owns the stadium which is certainly not unsafe.The little bit about Brentford is partly true!!

'Hoping'. 

I would class investing as spending with a 'plan' to create value rather than hoping and urinating in the wind.

38 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

very good post. Yes the ‘new evidence’ is the thing that is a massive worry. 

But both Wednesday and the solicitor will be aware of what it is and how it can be refuted or the solicitor would have said plead guilty 

31 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Investment means you have improved something. 

Brentford over the last 5 years have invested in their recruitment, their team and are moving into a new stadium that is investment

In the 5 years under DC he has SPENT in excess of £100m

We are homeless having to sell the stadium to cover his losses, we have a team full of kids, frees and loans because all the money wasted on recruitment will be  leaving in 10 days. We are not allowed to watch games at our stadium (before Co Vid) because big section are not deemed safe.

Where has DC improved the football club with his investment?? 

All this stuff about Brentford Brentford Brentford. Look they have a huge catchment area for players, can easily scoop up the dregs of Arsenal, Chelsea, etc. They have no trouble attracting good quality players because frankly it's London. The reality is plenty of young guys want to live there, especially when they have a bit of coin. Brentford can employ that marvellous conveyor belt of selling players on for a profit and replacing them with players which they then sell on for a profit, simply because there is a conveyor belt. We, and the vast majority of other clubs, don't have that luxury so the Brentford model is totally irrelevant to us.

And for all Brentford being absolutely fabulous, what have they ever won? Talk about a non-descript club with a passionless, obsure fanbase.

Blxxdy Brentford. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Your actual definition is not far from the mark.

Where your argument falls down is that your opinion (like a lot on here) is purely based on hindsight.

Do you seriously think that for one minute, DC throwing money at it, was for any other reason than his belief (if now seen as misguided) that his spending would IMPROVE what we had, get promotion and subsequently GAIN A PROFIT FROM IT.

It is ridiculously easy to judge any event from football to the response to Covid after events have already unfolded.

With any investment or project you have to regularly look at it and if it is not going the way you had hoped push it back on track. I would have hoped this was happening at the very least at the end of each season, looking at what went well, what needed improving and where we were not at the races. I just don't see this happening we continue to make the same mistakes. 

The financial plan for the club is promotion, but what the plan B if that doesn't happen - don't think there is one.

1 minute ago, ljhowl said:

All this stuff about Brentford Brentford Brentford. Look they have a huge catchment area for players, can easily scoop up the dregs of Arsenal, Chelsea, etc. They have no trouble attracting good quality players because frankly it's London. The reality is plenty of young guys want to live there, especially when they have a bit of coin. Brentford can employ that marvellous conveyor belt of selling players on for a profit and replacing them with players which they then sell on for a profit, simply because there is a conveyor belt. We, and the vast majority of other clubs, don't have that luxury so the Brentford model is totally irrelevant to us.

And for all Brentford being absolutely fabulous, what have they ever won? Talk about a non-descript club with a passionless, obsure fanbase.

Blxxdy Brentford. 

So unless you are in London, its impossible to have a good business plan? Id swap our books for Brentford and history means nothing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ljhowl said:

Blxxdy Brentford. 

I don't think this is entirely correct. Brentford certainly have an advantage in that they are in London and its a big catchment area with a lot of pull for people, but that doesnt make it impossible for other clubs to prioritise buying young players and scouting broadly to find hidden gems - then selling for profit. I dont think a great many of their players have been released from other London clubs, more scouted from obscure clubs. The Brentford model is a viable method we should at least be utilising as part of our plan. Buying players who have resale value - rather than players at their peak. 

Edited by Daizan10
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ljhowl said:

Blxxdy Brentford. 

Indeed in 6 years then have gone from a team promoted to the championship, have improved year on year and only this last year made a profit of £20m, while paying for there new stadium.

Football has to change teams need to live within there means and like it or not Brentford are a success story and if not this season, in the next few they will be a premier league team, us on the other hand we are a long way off that dream.

One of the things I find odd is that if we really do have evidence saying we had permission about the ground sale and we could put it in to said years accounts why are we still being perused by the EFL? Surely there would be no case to answer and it wouldn’t have been decided to go before a panel? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

One of the things I find odd is that if we really do have evidence saying we had permission about the ground sale and we could put it in to said years accounts why are we still being perused by the EFL? Surely there would be no case to answer and it wouldn’t have been decided to go before a panel? 

I just think we had agreement to sell the ground. I cant believe for one moment that the EFL would agree to us backdating it for a year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, billyblack said:

So unless you are in London, its impossible to have a good business plan? Id swap our books for Brentford and history means nothing. 

No what I'm saying is I'm sick of everyone harping on about the Brentford model, when it is totally irrelevant to us - and the vast majority of clubs - because of their circumstances. DC took a punt. Huge upside but rather significant (as we have been learning for the last couple of years) downside. But he's still throwing money in and fighting all the way. Long may that continue. Eventually he'll even be able to throw that money at players rather than QCs.

13 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I think you're absolutely right mate.

I also happen to think the EFL are on very dodgy ground here.

They remind me of the EU in a lot of ways. Threats, warnings, more threats until we are brainwashed into thinking 'we can't win'.

Stand up to them, throw their threats back in their faces & they shrink like any bullies.

The EFL in bringing the case forward to placate Steve Gibson & some bitter 6 fingered types who are already doomed regardless, shows the nature of the EFL beast. 

I also wonder whether they have come across someone as stubborn as DC (and the Derby protagonists) not to mention the money on Barristers he will be willing to throw at it.

The EFL can't back out now, they'd lose face, but they will see our case, they will see the might of Derby's case looming and be thinking "what have we taken on here".

They have already lost the first round. I fully expect an agreement where we allow our wrist to be tickled but it be called a "slap" accept a token punishment & move on.

I also happen to think it will mark the beginning of the end (to quote Churchill) of the current structure and modus operandi of the EFL and not before time.

I’ve said countless times before that the EFL in it’s current form will be no more sometime in the near future and Premier League 2 is an inevitability?

Also I expect clubs who are on their uppers either in League’s 1 or 2 or National League to become feeder clubs for the rich and powerful. It’s not what most fans want but it’s inevitable? Also youngsters playing competitive lower league football may be an upgrade on Under-23 football that has it’s fair share of critics?

The irony is when PL 2 is on the horizon there will be a certain chairman up in Teeside who will want to be at the forefront of it? 🙄 I hope he’s told to do one by the majority? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

I don't think this is entirely correct. Brentford certainly have an advantage in that they are in London and its a big catchment area with a lot of pull for people, but that doesnt make it impossible for other clubs to prioritise buying young players and scouting broadly to find hidden gems - then selling for profit. I dont think a great many of their players have been released from other London clubs, more scouted from obscure clubs. The Brentford model is a viable method we should at least be utilising as part of our plan. Buying players who have resale value - rather than players at their peak. 

It's as much about the ability to attract players. Let's see, go to Hull or Sheffield or .....London. I'm NOT knocking Sheffield but, well, you know.....

6 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I just think we had agreement to sell the ground. I cant believe for one moment that the EFL would agree to us backdating it for a year.

Yeah that’s my feeling. So you believe we have evidence we can sell the ground but not evidence we could backdate the transaction? 

25 minutes ago, Plonk said:

But both Wednesday and the solicitor will be aware of what it is and how it can be refuted or the solicitor would have said plead guilty 

A solicitor can only advise a client to make a guilty plea, not force them.

Lots of posters above lauding Chansiri's stubbornness and let's be honest this is a trait he has displayed in his engagement with supporters, so he doesn't strike me as the type to take advice that he doesn't like.

The solicitor gets paid either way, and should it go to appeal will cash in even more.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Isn't this due to the new information they discovered?

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

yeah probably so. Would love to know what the new evidence is. 

One line in an email that can be construed more than one way....we think it means this, they think it means something else

Or someone Comms that conflict with what has been said before, can't help but think that this will be decided over a technicality

18 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I suspect the email doesn't say 'exactly' that, and there is some degree of interpretation to be argued about