THE EFL HEARING THREAD

Guest gizowl
8 minutes ago, striker said:

For those proposing a points deduction, what rule have we broken?

We've not been charged with breaching p&s, because we haven't (yet), therefore difficult to apply the penalty tariff widely referenced.

The misconduct charge covers issues not in the explicit rules and in our case relates to the timing and payment terms of the stadium transaction. 

EFL may not like it, and I agree its morally suspect  but, not an uncommon method of accounting for such transactions and perfectly lawful. The club had permission from EFL and the accounts signed off by auditors and the EFL (initially, when removing the enbargo).

If the EFL tried to bring this case in court, in the real world, it would get thrown out.

Misconduct covers a variety of sins, therefore the punishment similarly wide reaching. As the charges against individuals dropped, unlikely to prove any deliberate attempt to mislead.

The EFL have an awful lot to prove, in order to make any charge stick, against a club owner who won't roll over and be bullied. 

Fingers crossed your right. 

I can only think we're guilty of breaking the rules, but we have this smoking gun which is written permission from an EFL employee or representative to do what we did. The argument thus being, we only broke the rules because you said we could, so can you punish us proportionally for that? All conjecture of course but this must be what isn't easy to give a verdict and appropriate punishment on. 

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

History hasn't really been kind to all those sheep who slated the Black Balloon thing has it?

Supporting that chairman at that time now looks to have been foolish to say the least

Done a great job at Chezzy

37 minutes ago, striker said:

For those proposing a points deduction, what rule have we broken?

We've not been charged with breaching p&s, because we haven't (yet), therefore difficult to apply the penalty tariff widely referenced.

The misconduct charge covers issues not in the explicit rules and in our case relates to the timing and payment terms of the stadium transaction. 

EFL may not like it, and I agree its morally suspect  but, not an uncommon method of accounting for such transactions and perfectly lawful. The club had permission from EFL and the accounts signed off by auditors and the EFL (initially, when removing the enbargo).

If the EFL tried to bring this case in court, in the real world, it would get thrown out.

Misconduct covers a variety of sins, therefore the punishment similarly wide reaching. As the charges against individuals dropped, unlikely to prove any deliberate attempt to mislead.

The EFL have an awful lot to prove, in order to make any charge stick, against a club owner who won't roll over and be bullied. 

This is how I see it - I just can't see how they say, 'that's the rule you broke 100% and there's the respective punishment.'

It's all too vague and IMO the charges have been engineered to stop other clubs going down this route.

I suspect we'll be the last one to do it, and the door will then be (belatedly) shut by the EFL. They should have structured the rules properly in the first place and people like DC and others wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what they've done.

They didn't and that's simply down to their incompetency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Yeah soz.

I just don't see how we can value Hillsborough at £60m just 2 years after DC bought the club (including Hillsborough) for £35m, then backdate it in the accounts to a time before the company that bought it was formed, with no transfer at the Land Registry until 2 years after the sale - without it looking dodgy

Regardless of whether weve got an email from someone at the EFL saying "Yeah - go for it"

I'd say its AT LEAST what Birmingham got with some extra thrown in for good measure. Applied this season.

Totally agree mate. Ours isn't just your run of the mill breach of  FFP, it's a misconduct charge, which carries a penalty of anything from a slap on the wrist to expulsion from the EFL. 

• Haha 1

Guest mkowl
55 minutes ago, jamese said:

2 years? I thought it was in the accounts in 2018 and on the land Registry in 2019?

Yes thought that was the case

And you can novate a contract between exchange and completion.

The absolute key document here is the contract for sale - was it an unconditional and binding sale at 31st July 2018. 

If so for accounting purposes that is the date you would take. Not legal completion, not date of cash transfer, not when Maguire says it is.