THE EFL HEARING THREAD

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

This is my very gripe with the issue itself. 

Anyone that thought this siuation was acceptable or normal for a well run club or that it'll be fine and we will win the case (of course maybe we will) and stick it to the EFL is mistaken. Anyone that supports the club even getting us into this situation clearly hasn't factored in the reality that it infects your club for season upon season. It doesn't get resolved overnight. If it does run into next season then we have a whole 12 months more of hands tied behind our backs, uncertainty, decline, inability to plan. The knock on of which will then affect us in two seasons time. I am of the opinion  that having run ins like this with the EFL can cost 5 seasons of disruption minimum. Years where you can't plan properly and can't attract the people we need at all levels of the club.

To think it's just 1 court case and a few months is naive. In reality our disregard for FFP has already choked up since 2017 and is going to affect the next few years too. 

Very good post - and still Casbah laughs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

Who’s running the EFL... Boris ?

They will probably wait to see how we get on at Fulham so that they can deduct the appropriate amount of points to ensure relegation.

They can do that anyway.....up to 21 points, so if they wanted to relegate us they could have already done it....unless they want to do it after the season is ended for some sick reason 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I expect it will be 9 points. 

But if it’s anything that gets us relegated then you can see Chansiri taking this legally all the way to Court for Abitration in Sport. 

EFL will want this closed off, with their “authority” in place but no further implications. 

Mr Chansiri is nothing if not principled and stubborn. I think he’ll fight his corner extremely hard and won’t back down. 

Going to CAS is not as straightforward as it might seem.

CAS will only hear and rule on an appeal arbitration once all domestic means of ‘solving’ a dispute are exhausted and then the EFL would need to agree, as would we, to go to arbitration and abide by CAS’ final ruling.

You cannot realistically appeal a CAS ruling. They apply the governing body’s rules in arbitration or rely upon UK national law if it is applicable. You can appeal to the Swiss Court of Appeal but in our case there is nothing in Swiss law that would be enforceable.

CAS can give an urgent STAY ruling if, for example, we were relegated, then CAS could order that to be put on hold (if the EFL had agreed to the arbitration in the first place) but any appeal arbitration has a deadline of three months to verdict.

To clear this up:

We receive a points deduction that leaves us relegated.

We appeal to EFL - we lose.

We want it to go to CAS - this requires EFL to agree to accept CAS arbitration, which they might do if they face lengthy and costly legal action through the UK courts.

CAS order an immediate stay on our relegation - at this point proceeding with next season’s fixture list etc would be nigh on impossible.

CAS could take up to three months to rule.

Or

EFL lose/have lost at independent panel. We stay up.

Or

EFL impose penalty. Gets member clubs to back them. We go down. We take EFL to court. Could take months/over a year and costs everybody millions.

If they give us a points deduction this season and we appeal, it could delay the start of next season, we are possibly only 6 -8 weeks away from next season starting and there is no way an appeal would be settled in that time period, that's why i cant see it being applied this season

I just don’t see how they can give us a point deduction big enough that results in us going down so late in the season. Surely if a big deduction was imminent it would have been announced by now. If we have done wrong we deserve to be punished but this wouldn’t be a fair way of punishing us imo. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Starting to think the same if they were going to announce it today, they would have done it first thing.

Gives time for the thread to grow and to evolve.

Exactly.

What would you know at 12, 3, 5 or 6pm today that you didn’t know at 9am after all these weeks?

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Everything involving us takes ages I swear.

Ages to announce a manager, ages to announce a signing, ages to announce whether we’re fecked or not.

lol

100%, we’re the club that’s always waiting whilst everyone else seems to get the same things done in half the time. I’ve always thought this 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Mcguigan
38 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I expect it will be 9 points. 

But if it’s anything that gets us relegated then you can see Chansiri taking this legally all the way to Court for Abitration in Sport. 

EFL will want this closed off, with their “authority” in place but no further implications. 

Mr Chansiri is nothing if not principled and stubborn. I think he’ll fight his corner extremely hard and won’t back down. 

So he'd accept the punishment handed down for being guilty as charged, if it meant we stayed up but challenge it legally if it meant we were relegated?

Reminds me of Steve Coogan in "The Trip" .... "I don't mind being accused of being a pedophile, as long as I'm wrongly accused of being a pedophile."

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

I’ve felt like that for a while. Early 80’s it started. 

Morning mate. You're lucky,should have been there in those turbulent 70's but we still kept going even though it wasn't the best of times. It's all part of the life of a Wednesday fan.

• Like 3