THE EFL HEARING THREAD

20 minutes ago, striker said:

Unfortunately agree, broadly supportive of the local press but very little substance other than rehashing press conferences and while I appreciate some opinion pieces, can get others opinions for free if I wanted them. 

I dont even bother clicking through, their website is just awful, littered with adverts and nonsense. 

Agree with the opinion part, which you can get on here but with the added bonus of adding your own and reading more than one persons. 

Also, its been proven again that news breaks on here first and is reported in the Star days later. That still hasnt changed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Going down would be a disaster not a opportunity  

Agreed it would be disastrous but having to compete and rebuild within ffp guidelines at League One would be much easier for a club our size than at Championship level.

So while it will be rubbish I think you have to always look for positives. We will always be better than the third tier though so eventually we would rise and I've had some of my best season's following Wednesday at that level.

So while it woukd be awful it isn't the end of the world and 'could' be a blessing.

Edited by Modfather100

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How do you navigate to those pages from the Star's main Sheffield Wednesday page? 

Anyone using https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday or https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/match-reports will see that the latest Match Report shown is indeed for Owls v Preston as Room0035 said.

Using your links I can see the articles (not badged as actual Match Reports I note), but I cannot find any way to navigate to them from the main pages above.

As others have said the site appears to be very much click-bait driven, articles from months ago are still under banners of 'Latest news', and the real 'Latest news' is impossible to navigate to. 

For that reason I won't be investing.

PS

Maybe the site appears different to subscribers meaning that you see different links/articles to me? If so perhaps the Star should reconsider its policy: trying to entice new customers by showing them outdated news is not necessarily the best option!

• Like 1

Just now, Modfather100 said:

Agreed it would be disastrous but having to compete and rebuild within ffp guidelines at League One woukd be much easier for a club our size than at Championship level.

So while it will be rubbish I think you have to always look for positives. We will always be better than the third tier though so eventually we would rise and I've had some of my best season's following Wednesday at that level.

So while it woukd be awful it isn't the end of the world and 'could' be a blessing.

If we go down we still have the huge operating losses, players on large contracts and no assets to sell.

Plus we would get less money via tv deals, sponsorship and gate receipts.

So we would be in even more trouble. Let's not fool ourselves, going down in no way helps us.

• Like 6

Just now, trev said:

If we go down we still have the huge operating losses, players on large contracts and no assets to sell.

Plus we would get less money via tv deals, sponsorship and gate receipts.

So we would be in even more trouble. Let's not fool ourselves, going down in no way helps us.

Do you nit think it puts us at a better level in which to compete with all those hinderences.

Look at Coventry the poo poo they were in and they uave managed to steady the ship at that level than rise again. With all those issues we are a busted flush at championship level. At league one level we will always be a top table team who can hold our own.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

indeed but equally if you leave the wrong person in charge you can be relegated before you know it and we have seen in the play off final the way the club has gone backwards with the wrong people in charge.

Pray tell me.

Which managers have been responsible for taking this club backwards in recent times.

Carlos is the only one possibly and even he was following a short term plan from above.

Jos signed very few players and kept us in the Division when we had plummeted down the league under Carlos 

Got rid of him before he did real damage.

Bruce left before doing anything positive or negative.

Monk left with a pile of  poo to sort out with no support as old players came to end of contracts and didn’t give a throw. Made worse by impact of virus extending the season and EFL charge.

It ain’t the managers that have caused our problems.

• Like 3

Just now, Modfather100 said:

Do you nit think it puts us at a better level in which to compete with all those hinderences.

Look at Coventry the poo poo they were in and they uave managed to steady the ship at that level than rise again. With all those issues we are a busted flush at championship level. At league one level we will always be a top table team who can hold our own.

We shouldn't be aspiring to compete in  league one. 

We would be better of cutting our cloth accordingly in this league. We don't need to drop down to be sensible with contracts and transfers.

Lots of teams have proven u can succeed in this league by being smart and having a transfer strategy. 

But our owner needs help with this...proper independent help. A director of football who is experienced and knowledgeable.

Who? I don't know...but we need it. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Monk left with a pile of  poo to sort out with no support as old players came to end of contracts and didn’t give a throw. Made worse by impact of virus extending the season and EFL charge.

when did Monk leave? Are we looking for a new manager already?

Edited by Lombado
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Pray tell me.

Which managers have been responsible for taking this club backwards in recent times.

Carlos is the only one possibly and even he was following a short term plan from above.

Jos signed very few players and kept us in the Division when we had plummeted down the league under Carlos 

Got rid of him before he did real damage.

It ain’t the managers that have caused our problems.

As a number of people have said, Chansiri, players and managers (past and present) all share some of the blame for this current mess.  Monk was never my choice for the job but perversely I’m starting to back him now, as increasing numbers sense a soft target and blame him for everything.  I’m pleased that Hutchinson and Forestieri have gone, just need Westwood out of the club now, along with EFL verdict to go our way.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Key said:

How do you navigate to those pages from the Star's main Sheffield Wednesday page? 

Anyone using https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday or https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/match-reports will see that the latest Match Report shown is indeed for Owls v Preston as Room0035 said.

Using your links I can see the articles (not badged as actual Match Reports I note), but I cannot find any way to navigate to them from the main pages above.

As others have said the site appears to be very much click-bait driven, articles from months ago are still under banners of 'Latest news', and the real 'Latest news' is impossible to navigate to. 

For that reason I won't be investing.

PS

Maybe the site appears different to subscribers meaning that you see different links/articles to me? If so perhaps the Star should reconsider its policy: trying to entice new customers by showing them outdated news is not necessarily the best option!

No I get the same thing mate

I don’t subscribe to The Star so see the same as you

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, Modfather100 said:

Let's aim to do a Coventry.

4 minutes ago, trev said:

We shouldn't be aspiring to compete in  league one. 

We would be better of cutting our cloth accordingly in this league. We don't need to drop down to be sensible with contracts and transfers.

Lots of teams have proven u can succeed in this league by being smart and having a transfer strategy. 

But our owner needs help with this...proper independent help. A director of football who is experienced and knowledgeable.

Who? I don't know...but we need it. 

That's the ultimate (I hate this business phrase) blue sky world. I'm just saying if we do go down there are positives to it as we can do all what you said but at a much easier level to make it succeed. 

Then we come back up with a team that is winning and on the up. 

Rebuilding with the air of negativity around the place and as part of a losing team is never easy. 

Lets be honest our owner needs to get the hell out if our cloub in an ideal world but if he doesn't then he you're right, he needs to donthe same as Tann at Cardiff. Take a backseat, admit his methods havent worked and go back to running us like the brilliant football club that we are not his egotistical plaything.

The day we lost Glenn Roeder in the recruitment role was a sad one.

I live in hope that I get my club back before long.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Shows what can happen if you give somebody support and time to do the job.

You missed the part where Cook has had year on year improvement, he didn't need time

Where has monk improved, he is in lower league position than last season, he hasn't even improved on his first half season results

how much time do you give him to get us relegated?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Modfather100 said:

That's the ultimate (I hate this business phrase) blue sky world. I'm just saying if we do go down there are positives to it as we can do all what you said but at a much easier level to make it succeed. 

Then we come back up with a team that is winning and on the up. 

Rebuilding with the air of negativity around the place and as part of a losing team is never easy. 

Lets be honest our owner needs to get the hell out if our cloub in an ideal world but if he doesn't then he you're right, he needs to donthe same as Tann at Cardiff. Take a backseat, admit his methods havent worked and go back to running us like the brilliant football club that we are not his egotistical plaything.

The day we lost Glenn Roeder in the recruitment role was a sad one.

I live in hope that I get my club back before long.

I don't need to wait it will always be my club

• Thanks 1

Just now, bladeshater said:

I don't need to wait it will always be my club

It is but I feel a disconnect with the club like I have never done before.

Hate it but Chansiri has got a lot to answer for. Yes the play off season was great but at what cost? I hate what he has done to my club. Yes it is still my club and thats why it hurts so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, the third man said:

You missed the part where Cook has had year on year improvement, he didn't need time

Where has monk improved, he is in lower league position than last season, he hasn't even improved on his first half season results

He won't relegate us.

9 minutes ago, the third man said:

If you think we would be relegated without the EFL crap you're mistaken..we're midtable and higher than Cook in his first season

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, the third man said:

how can he have year on year improvement when he has not even been here a year. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

If you think we would be relegated without the EFL crap you're mistaken..we're midtable and higher than Cook in his first season

And...Cook had a season putting that side together in Div 1 before he got to the Championship

• Like 2