THE EFL HEARING THREAD

5 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

I understand that but surly it can only be accounted for from the point of transaction and periods going forward not the point of transaction and stick it in the year before.

Fair point, suppose we will argue that from the point permission sought and granted, we put in process a mechanism to conclude the transaction. 

I'm no accountant, but our resident Owlstalk accountants appear to suggest a fairly common occurrence and perfectly lawful, as I recall. 

1 minute ago, Minton said:

No, it isn't. In accounting terms, backdating a sale is completely legitimate. Particularly if the buyer sets up a new company to handle their new acquisition only when the terms have been agreed.

Exactly under the law of the land he has done nothing wrong. We might not agree with it but no offence or malpractice has been committed. The question is, does doing what he has done break rules governing EFL football clubs. Who the heck knows 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Just now, shez owl said:

Exactly under the law of the land he has done nothing wrong. We might not agree with it but no offence or malpractice has been committed. The question is, does doing what he has done break rules governing EFL football clubs. Who the heck knows 🤷‍♂️

People are mixing together their views of him as a Chairman with the charges we’re up against and finding us guilty.

I want us to get off.

Slag him off re. his general stewardship another time because in a court of law your constant “evidence” is purely circumstancial.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

I suspect the EFL will argue that because the company didn't exist, the "sale" never happened, and it was just a way for DC to inject more money into the club to try and swerve FFP. 

It should never have happened in the first place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I'd say selling the stadium to a company which didn't  exist at the time of the "alleged" sale is pretty damning evidence of a breach of the rules. 

In English Law a mans word is accepted as his bond. As Mr C represented both entities in the ground sale the intent is the key factor.

Not the date of sale, not the price and not due diligence. All that mattered was the intent of the transaction. However, this appears to be trivial as the EFL rule book seemingly aspires to transcend the mere formality of English Law. I guess we're back where we started; Clueless ! 

1 hour ago, striker said:

Respect others opinions, but in my humble opinion asking an owner who is funding the club and (mistakes acknowledged) who in some peoples opinion is guilty of  spending too much of his money on us, to leave, is moronic.

I accept he's not perfect, far from it, but just have a look at Wigan, Charlton, Hull, Sunderland, Bolton, Macclesfield, Bury etc. The grass is not always greener, plenty of opportunists and asset strippers around, like the aerial guy (Sheard) or Mammadov who were sniffing around before DC. 

Slight contradiction there I think, not sure you do/should respect opinions you find moronic....

Anyway, I was pointing out in 2016 I felt our owner was out of his depth and our first full season really covered up the cracks on really what was a shambles behind the scenes.

I feel it has taken a lot on here until now to realise he's a big problem, worried again it will be 3 or 4 years down the line of chaos before people realise again, and believe me it will happen, and Neil won't be deleting threads calling for him to go, because there will be a lot of them.

• Like 1

Never met such a miserable know it all bunch of  was gonna say supporters but you lot are definitely not that so how many of you have got or had businesses worth millions and ploughed a good portion of it into a football club that was on its way into non existence can any of you remember the years before Chansiri, how many crap chairmen have we had over the years who only took from the club and gave nothing back, one more thing for all you barrack room lawyers do you really think the efl is whiter than white, just dwell on three cases Forestieri, Birmingham, Man City

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 1958OWL said:

Never met such a miserable know it all bunch of  was gonna say supporters but you lot are definitely not that so how many of you have got or had businesses worth millions and ploughed a good portion of it into a football club that was on its way into non existence can any of you remember the years before Chansiri, how many crap chairmen have we had over the years who only took from the club and gave nothing back, one more thing for all you barrack room lawyers do you really think the efl is whiter than white, just dwell on three cases Forestieri, Birmingham, Man City

Chansiri doesn't deserve any criticism because he has millions then?

1 minute ago, 1958OWL said:

I like your avatar, is that your dog?

25 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I agree, but if you believe some of the comments on here they have some sort of influence over the EFL

I agree but at the end of the day it's the panels decision and not the EFLs so not a lot of point in complaining to the EFL that you don't like the outcome as they will just day not to do with us not our decision.

15 minutes ago, striker said:

No, but can spread the cost of a player over several years for example,  to comply with P&S. My point was, not everything has to be accounted for in full at the point of transaction. 

Accounting and cash can be very different. They could feasibly buy a player and sell a player on the same day for the same fee and make a negative impact on cash but a positive impact on P&S.

If they signed a player for £4m on a 4 year contract and paid all of the fee upfront then it would be accounted for in the income statement for P&S as £1m cost per year for the next 4 years. If they sold a player for £4m and received instalment payments of say £1m plus 3 more £1m over the coming years then it would accounted for in the income statement for P&S as £4m income at the date of the sale.

So on the day of the transaction cash flow is -£3m but they book a £4m profit.

28 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

That will really hurt them won’t it 

Failure payments will cushion that blow 

It depends on the punishment handed out - When Bournemouth and Wolves went up they totally disregarded FFP by millions and not just £10million either.

Bournemouth's spending was outlandish as was Wolves and makes DC's look like chicken feed in comparison

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

It depends on the punishment handed out - When Bournemouth and Wolves went up they totally disregarded FFP by millions and not just £10million either.

Bournemouth's spending was outlandish as was Wolves and makes DC's look like chicken feed in comparison

Does anyone know who we appeal to if we lose?

Is it the same panel that have just over turned City's European ban?