THE EFL HEARING THREAD

6 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Fairly easy I’d imagine

Start of season legal contract is drawn up so that owner underwrites proposed budgeted losses. 

The punishment can then be based if the club then exceeds these budgeted losses

Gives owner the right to invest as they see fit like they can in any other business

Sorry but that makes no sense. Owners are unwriting losses now. And they get punished now. 

6 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Just to point out, when Fletcher got injured at Christmas, Monk still had Rhodes, Winnall, Forestieri, Nuhiu as options.  You could even throw in Murphy, who can play as a false 9.

Not an amazing selection but enough talent for any decent Championship coach to manage with.

Then we signed Wickham in January.  A Premier League striker.

The belief that any manager would struggle after losing Fletcher to injury is a myth.

Anyway, back to topic..

hahahahahahahaha!

talent my ar$e, there was only ff any good, and nuhiu for 15 mins a game.

ff had been a quite a while since stringing a few good games together .

winnall went to derby a decent striker, what we got back was short of what we sent out by some way.

rhodes was/is due another good game in 2 years time.

we hadn't a 9, we'd a squad full of 'false' ones.

wickham was woefully off the pace (matchfit?) when he arrived.

the belief that no manager would struggle (with our unbalanced squad) after losing fletcher is only a 'myth' to those who don't know a great deal, and those wanting monk out from the very start and growing sick of waiting to backstab our manager.

anyway, back to topic.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That didn't work last time though

Chairmen were getting their clubs into all kinds of debt and massively overspending, and it meant clubs were going into administration 

& that should be the time to punish them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Sorry but that makes no sense. Owners are unwriting losses now. And they get punished now. 

But there is no way of a rich owner investing which is also unfair

Any other business an owner who wants to improve his business can invest capital. In football they are severely restricted 

• Like 1

Guest mkowl
21 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

I think you’re probably right on that Kev. i guess it then comes down to whether the previous forward reporting can be squared with a late  change of ‘accounting strategy’

The whole process is quite complicated. There are lower limits than the 13m per season losses for the Club to be put on review. 

There are deadlines on 1st December and 1st March to supply past year info and current year info, another for the audited accounts. 

There are budgets to provide.

Be intriguing for someone like me to be on the inside to understand the mechanics of this process a lot more

52 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Gary Neville just hit the nail on the head 

FFP needs tweaking so that the test is based on owners affordability. If an owner has 1 trillion pounds why can’t he spend 1 billion as they can afford it. The issue is if the owner has 500k and spends a million that is the issue 

He speaks as an owner and he wants owner guarantees brought in to cover losses

Like others have said...difficult to police. Also, the purpose needs establishing...Profit and Sustainability suggests protection to the club which would suit your idea, but the previous guise, Financial Fair Play...suggests clubs spending linked to their natural revenue

56 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Agents are leeches of game, trying to push their players for a transfer all time knowing they're after a cut of money. 

Agents should be banned from the game. If a player wants representing, then the PFA are there to do that. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Fairly easy I’d imagine

Start of season legal contract is drawn up so that owner underwrites proposed budgeted losses. 

The punishment can then be based if the club then exceeds these budgeted losses

Gives owner the right to invest as they see fit like they can in any other business

This is exactly what I said weeks ago. Although I said for owners to put the whole expected expenditure in a holding account. 

I don't understand why this would be a problem or issue? 

Any other business can lose millions upon millions if they want. Why do football clubs need to be restricted?

It's not going to stop clubs going into admin...just ask Wigan. If owners pull the plug then clubs go under regardless.  

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

But there is no way of a rich owner investing which is also unfair

Any other business an owner who wants to improve his business can invest capital. In football they are severely restricted 

But he's not investing capital in the business he's wasting million in players wages.

No business survives when their wage bill is nearly double their turnover.

We need controls so chairman don't use football teams as play things to then throw away when their bored.

You let DC spend what he wants, in a few years we will have £100m wage bill and still be no nearer the premier lesgue. If he leaves we then cease to exist as a football club after 150+ years because we cannot afford to pay the mess he has left us in. This happens if the EFL decided to let him spend what he wants.

It's a no from me thanks, tighter controls on spending not loosening.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But he's not investing capital in the business he's wasting million in players wages.

No business survives when their wage bill is nearly double their turnover.

We need controls so chairman don't use football teams as play things to then throw away when their bored.

You let DC spend what he wants, in a few years we will have £100m wage bill and still be no nearer the premier lesgue. If he leaves we then cease to exist as a football club after 150+ years because we cannot afford to pay the mess he has left us in. This happens if the EFL decided to let him spend what he wants.

It's a no from me thanks, tighter controls on spending not loosening.

Gary Neville spoke a load of sense today......said that if an owner agrees to signing a player for 4 years on £5million a year then he has to out £20m in an escrow account and so on

no problems with the owner spending £2 billion If he’s got a gazillion in the bank....but don’t let someone spend £100k if they only have £50k

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Gary Neville spoke a load of sense today......said that if an owner agrees to signing a player for 4 years on £5million a year then he has to out £20m in an escrow account and so on

no problems with the owner spending £2 billion If he’s got a gazillion in the bank....but don’t let someone spend £100k if they only have £50k

Everyone thought Robert Maxwell and Allen Stanford had a gazillion in the bank

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

And pay all transfer fees upfront. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ian said:

It makes sense if you have never run a business. No business owner of any type would accept to operate in this manner...it cuts right across the concepts of going concern and limited liability.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

So is Gary Neville saying if you had a squad of 25 players all on £20m contracts the owner would have to put £1 billion in an escrow account to cover it all?

What happens to a club where the owner isn’t prepared to do that? Can’t they sign any players?

Majority of football clubs live hand to mouth 

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

The whole process is quite complicated. There are lower limits than the 13m per season losses for the Club to be put on review. 

There are deadlines on 1st December and 1st March to supply past year info and current year info, another for the audited accounts. 

There are budgets to provide.

Be intriguing for someone like me to be on the inside to understand the mechanics of this process a lot more

I assume the EFL already know if we've broken the 3-yr £39m level.

The last two years show loss of £20.8 and profit of £2.6m so we have to keep below £20.8m - is this how you see it?

On the basis we lost £23.7m in 2017/18 before the stadium sale, I imagine it's going be tight

11 minutes ago, Animis said:

I assume the EFL already know if we've broken the 3-yr £39m level.

The last two years show loss of £20.8 and profit of £2.6m so we have to keep below £20.8m - is this how you see it?

On the basis we lost £23.7m in 2017/18 before the stadium sale, I imagine it's going be tight

Not if we've sold the training ground for £20 million. 

• Haha 1