THE EFL HEARING THREAD

1 minute ago, daleblue said:

Each Club to give a monthly update on profit and loss to the EFL, any Club found to be in breach of exceeding spending

limits, and in breach of FFP at any time during the Season would not be eligible for promotion in that Season, if they finish

in the top 6 then they are demoted to 7th place and further actions taken against said Club in close Season, ie, points

deduction / fine, this would deter Clubs trying to buy a place in the Premier League.

Good idea but it's difficult to predict the income, a league one club can average 6,000 but if they're suddenly doing well they could more than double it. 

Just now, Hookowl said:

Any companies accounts are based over the full year, monthly updates would not give a true figure.

It would be on top of annual accounts, so it gives a true monthly picture of each Clubs expenditure and the EFL could 

predict which Clubs they would need to keep under closer observation.

3 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Each Club to give a monthly update on profit and loss to the EFL, any Club found to be in breach of exceeding spending

limits, and in breach of FFP at any time during the Season would not be eligible for promotion in that Season, if they finish

in the top 6 then they are demoted to 7th place and further actions taken against said Club in close Season, ie, points

deduction / fine, this would deter Clubs trying to buy a place in the Premier League.

The monitoring staff at the EFL can't cope with the information they already , and it then takes them over 9 months from receipt to levy charges so how would this help.

Also it would give a false picture as most clubs have little or no income they can pass through their profit and loss account in June and July. As most start their year on 1 July then they would fail in July.

Or are you actually proposing a spending cap?

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Why shouldn’t clubs go to the wall? Why should football, as a business, be a protected specie? It’s simple really, and wages are the main issue. Just don’t spent more than you bring in. And to encourage that, enforce a wage cap. 

Now I agree with the wages, and ridiculous agent payments, so the rules should target that, because FFP isn't working. You can still make huge losses under FFP. 

Thing is, players unions won't vote in a cap, so enforce it and players will just go elsewhere. Might be worth an overall spend cap, sort of like American sports, where you can spend up to a point (cap space I think it is?), go over and you get an immediate points deduction or transfer embargo until it's back under control. 

Just chucking sheet out of my brain here, probably more holes than Swiss cheese in that. 

1 minute ago, pahowl said:

The monitoring staff at the EFL can't cope with the information they already , and it then takes them over 9 months from receipt to levy charges so how would this help.

Also it would give a false picture as most clubs have little or no income they can pass through their profit and loss account in June and July. As most start their year on 1 July then they would fail in July.

Or are you actually proposing a spending cap?

More staff to monitor, and monthly updates on income and spending, during the Season.

Surely this could be done.

Just now, CalmJimmers said:

Now I agree with the wages, and ridiculous agent payments, so the rules should target that, because FFP isn't working. You can still make huge losses under FFP. 

Thing is, players unions won't vote in a cap, so enforce it and players will just go elsewhere. Might be worth an overall spend cap, sort of like American sports, where you can spend up to a point (cap space I think it is?), go over and you get an immediate points deduction or transfer embargo until it's back under control. 

Just chucking sheet out of my brain here, probably more holes than Swiss cheese in that. 

Agree. I can foresee a situation like the MLS where teams spunk a load on 2 players, and rest get peanuts. I’ve actually got no issue with Premier League superstars earning what they do. They are in receipt of the big TV money and it’s the National game, of which the are at the pinnacle. It’s the level below which is obscene. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Table would be fun to work out come May then when half the teams in division fail at some point

46 minutes ago, vulva said:

Reducing parachute payments would be turkeys voting for Christmas. The only change I would make would be to match FFP limits with the parachute payments. 

So there’s something wrong with the rules then.

The limit’s not been changed to adapt to higher wages over the last few years since 2014.

A joke!

Guest mkowl
57 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Our accounts for last year were very late & should have been filed by 30th April. This year's should have been filed by 30th April too but all companies have been granted a 3 month extension due to the coronavirus outbreak so our accounts should now be filed by 31st July.

Which if posted to arrive that day and based on current turnaround times at Companies House will be 10th - 14th August before they are available to see / download

2 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Table would be fun to work out come May then when half the teams in division fail at some point

This done properly would stop most Clubs over spending if the rainbow is taken away.

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

Probably been answered, so sorry if I'm repeating a question. 

Does FFP take into account parachute payments? If so, how can that be classed as 'fair'? You've got clubs with Prem wages coming down and basically give them a few years to smash the league whilst the rest 'live within their means'. 

Since FFP has come in, it's not stopped Bury go down the pan, Wigan and Macclesfield to struggle etc etc. So it's not stopping clubs going under or massive spending from happening, so what is it supposed to do? 

Not trying to make excuses for us - if we've broken the rules then that is that, but the rules seem bloody stupid anyway. 

It's designed specifically to work with parachute payments.

The whole system is designed to keep the clubs at the top at the top.

10 minutes ago, daleblue said:

It would be on top of annual accounts, so it gives a true monthly picture of each Clubs expenditure and the EFL could 

predict which Clubs they would need to keep under closer observation.

That is what I mean it wouldn't give a true picture, a monthly snapshot of the accounts would almost certainly give a false report of the true yearly accounts.

4 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

That is what I mean it wouldn't give a true picture, a monthly snapshot of the accounts would almost certainly give a false report of the true yearly accounts.

Not an accountant as you probably see from my ramblings, but something has to be done to stop trying to reach the 

Premier League by over spending.

Ps. stopping promotion would do this, how its done is up for discussion.

Edited by daleblue
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Not an accountant as you probably see from my ramblings, but something has to be done to stop trying to reach the 

Premier League by over spending.

Ps. stopping promotion would do this, how its done is up for discussion.

Tha geein me eadache. Georre!

Edited by Dizzys Dad
Spelling

You could look to introduce 3 things to assist in curtailing unnecessary spending (**not sure if these fall within the rules for the FFP threshold though)..

1. Introduce a Player Salary Cap

2. Transfer Cap **

3. Get rid of excessive agents fees **

There has to be some sort of control on spending or what we are seeing now with us, Derby, Villa etc will become the norm as teams chase the golden goose of the EPL.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Which if posted to arrive that day and based on current turnaround times at Companies House will be 10th - 14th August before they are available to see / download

I wonder if they are sent to the EFL once they're signed off by the auditors, and before downloaded on the companies house website?

The new season will likely start September so hypothetically we could get sanctioned before it starts if we've breach the FFP for the three years, which is likely to be the case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Animis said:

I wonder if they are sent to the EFL once they're signed off by the auditors, and before downloaded on the companies house website?

The new season will likely start September so hypothetically we could get sanctioned before it starts if we've breach the FFP for the three years, which is likely to be the case.

Are you saying that despite the 60 million transfer of funds we will breach FFP again? If so the club is completely unworkable.

33 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

So there’s something wrong with the rules then.

The limit’s not been changed to adapt to higher wages over the last few years since 2014.

A joke!

The parachute money is to protect the top teams god forbid they should have a bad season...it rewards failure. If you can't live with relegation from the Prem then you should make sure that you cut your cloth accordingly...like United have done and like Norwich have done...same with WBA. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1