THE EFL HEARING THREAD

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, Westfield Owl said:

Just to point out, when Fletcher got injured at Christmas, Monk still had Rhodes, Winnall, Forestieri, Nuhiu as options.  You could even throw in Murphy, who can play as a false 9.

Not an amazing selection but enough talent for any decent Championship coach to manage with.

Then we signed Wickham in January.  A Premier League striker.

The belief that any manager would struggle after losing Fletcher to injury is a myth.

Anyway, back to topic..

And Windass

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

Anyone else hearing that Wednesday will get a two-year ban from the Champions League?

Yes, it was supposed to be a three year ban from the Champions League but it was reduced to two years on appeal. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

They’ve had there CL ban overturned for one reason and one reason only 

Money 

That and the fact the prosecutions only evidence was obtained by illegal hacking - a source stipulated in UEFA law they wont use. In the past they have done though. Its not a real court so I guess they can allow anything they want to in reality. So maybe money oiled the way for them not to want to. 

6 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

They’ve had there CL ban overturned for one reason and one reason only 

Money 

The misdemeanours they were accused of occurred over 5 years ago and UEFA’s own rules have a 5 year statute of limitations.......

UEFA look ridiculous this morning!

• Haha 1

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, Daizan10 said:

Our hearing is over - i'm not sure why they are waiting to give a verdict. Derby's is yet to be heard. I assume if we appeal the verdict it will be added back on. 

There is work on there going back to 2017

Just now, Grandad said:

There is work on there going back to 2017

Hopefully we didn't get such a bad result he doesn't want anything to do with it. Or Chansiri fired him part way through and took over himself.. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I get the feeling that some people think that managing out and getting rid of troublesome players against the will of many of our fans is a sign of weakness?

I'd suggest its the exact opposite

Personally I want our club full of young, hungry players with a great 'CAN DO' attitude, working as a team, playing for the manager/club, and wanting to give their all, than having a dressing room of overhyped, overpaid, egotistical disruptive and negative old blokes.

What Monk is doing isn't the easy option whatsoever. It's the most difficult and painful thing to properly and professionally transition to a new generation of players who want to play for our club.

Backing him isn't the easiest thing to do either when you have some fans repeatedly attacking you for wanting our club to get rid of players who don't give a fooooook about Sheffield Wednesday or doing their best for us.

But backing him is the intelligent thing to do. Because there's more to football management than just playing the players who kick off the most and cause the biggest stink at your club,.

Totally get what you are saying. And in all fairness we are coming towards the end of a certain cycle and I would include the likes of Lees, Bannan and Reach in this.

Fact remains, whether it was realistic or not the target over the last 5 years or so has been promotion to the premier league.

At Christmas we were arguably on course for this, certainly on course for a play-off place. I know about the Fletcher injury and this most certainly had an effect on the initial slump in form and results but to then freeze out key players for the issues you’re referring to, was a massive call. It’s cost us a shot at promotion. It might even cost us our championship status as we should’ve been able to soak up a points deduction with the position we were in at Christmas? The calls in the long term may be the right ones but you’ll never convince me the timing of these calls were right.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than for yourself and all the others on here and have been or still are on the Monk bus (I assume that you all have had your face coverings on during this time? 😉) but I try to look at the bigger picture and I don’t see how a manager with 5 clubs in 6 years can ever do a long term job for us and I fear in 12 months time we’ll be still having this conversation if the Monk Bus that travels to S6 every other week is still running?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Our hearing is over - i'm not sure why they are waiting to give a verdict. Derby's is yet to be heard. I assume if we appeal the verdict it will be added back on. 

I find this a bit bizarre  -surely if a decision was reached it should be published regardless of the Derby hearing 

I remain confident ( please God) that we had a case and escaped so  I wonder if The EFL  are waiting to see if they lose the Derby case as well and so appealing might look a waste of time ?  ( wishful thinking I know)

I said before I'm definitely buying a Owls shirt with 'De Marco' on the back, hopefully with the number 0 denoting how many points they decided on 

• Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

said before I'm definitely buying a Owls shirt with 'De Marco' on the back, hopefully with the number 0 denoting how many points they decided on 

Like it.

If we lose?

Chansiri -12.

5 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

Hopefully we didn't get such a bad result he doesn't want anything to do with it. Or Chansiri fired him part way through and took over himself.. 

please don't :unsure:

that has far to much possibility attached to it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

I know about the Fletcher injury and this most certainly had an effect on the initial slump in form and results but to then freeze out key players for the issues you’re referring to, was a massive call.

Without knowing exactly what these 'issues' were / are, it's impossible for me to make a judgement on whether or not Monk did the right thing.

Hutchinson has, and still could have, been a really useful player for us, so to lose him during a period where our form has massively struggled has been frustrating to see. But there are certain red lines you just don't cross.

Whether Hutchinson crossed one of these lines or not, and whether our loss is down to him or Monk, I have no idea.

• Like 3