THE EFL HEARING THREAD

1 hour ago, doubleo said:

Can anyone tell me ? - IF we are found guilty of including the ground sale in the wrong years accounts (and given  a points deduction), does that mean that the monies from the sale are then included in the following years accounts (which would according to the EFL case, be the correct year )? Without doing the maths I assume that would give us some wriggle room regarding finances. A win win for Wednesday !

That would in effect mean that the EFL can force a restatement of the 2017/18 accounts. 

2 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

I was thinking the same.  We’re 10 pts clear so maybe we’d be ok with 9 pt deduction (assuming we pick up a few more pts and Wigan lose 12). With a Covid year and not looking over our shoulder at previous years this might actually be a good result for us. 

That will depend on the state of the 2018-19 accounts which are due at the end of this month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

That would in effect mean that the EFL can force a restatement of the 2017/18 accounts. 

I wouldn't have thought they have the authority to do that.

Guest mkowl
2 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

I doubt it too. Where’s MKOwl?

The only way they could do it is report the club to the Financial Reporting Council - on the presumption we refused to do it. Though as its a private company be less interested than a quoted one - where external investors could be interested

So zero authority 

Why I have always said lots of vested interest in the professional advisors in all this. If they were "wrong" and its public interest then I suspect my professional regulator the ICAEW would raise an eyebrow. Could even be a complaint made by the EFL.

There could be a PI issue here as well, given the money involved 

So its not going to be conceded that easily. All I know give 2 accountants the same evidence they will see it different,

9 minutes ago, mogbad said:

I wouldn't have thought they have the authority to do that.

Sorry but you've lost me. My point is that if the EFL/Panel find we entered the sale  in the wrong years accounts, then, by my simple logic, I would have thought the money from the sale has to appear somewhere, ie the following year. Otherwise the profit from the sale would effectively be wiped out and would be a double penalty. This would help us on the 3 year rolling assessment.

We just need to focus on the pitch and win our home games. Another 6 points should give us a 12 point buffer. 

I think the EFL have decided on a point deduction, they are just waiting whether they can relegate us this season or stuff us over next. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I think the EFL have decided on a point deduction, they are just waiting whether they can relegate us this season or stuff us over next. 

Right, the EFL don’t decide on anything , the Independant panel decide on punishments 

3 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Right, the EFL don’t decide on anything , the Independant panel decide on punishments 

Based on who’s rules? Do the panel have guidance or some sliding scale on punishments? 

Genuine question. How is the punishment decided? 

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

Based on who’s rules? Do the panel have guidance or some sliding scale on punishments? 

Genuine question. How is the punishment decided? 

i believe the EFL recommend a punishment and the panel have to decide if they agree with it. 

Guest mkowl
12 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Sorry but you've lost me. My point is that if the EFL/Panel find we entered the sale  in the wrong years accounts, then, by my simple logic, I would have thought the money from the sale has to appear somewhere, ie the following year. Otherwise the profit from the sale would effectively be wiped out and would be a double penalty. This would help us on the 3 year rolling assessment.

Yes it would be included in the next years accounts - the transaction has happened so its got to be included sometime. 

Tbh re-stating accounts is reasonably common - clearly when I have done it it is due to complex technical matters and never that I forgot to do summat obvious 🙃