THE EFL HEARING THREAD

8 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I don't think the EFL are bothered one iota about us...it's more about protecting themselves. All that posturing, taking DC to court for misconduct only to drop it, and probably only coming up with fining us. They know that it's at this point that the clubs are going to get together and say f*** the EFL. Watch FFP go out of the window for next season it's past its sell by date and not fit for purpose.

P&S has to change, no doubt about it and the EFL agree, which is why they have been reviewing the rules with clubs since last year. But I can't forsee a situation where they just bin them entirely, and effectively say that clubs can go and spend what they want. Not all owners have the funds to cover losses themselves and many will rack up enormous debt against club assets, chasing "The PL dream" as it where.

And there lies the main problem, the gross imbalance of money sloshing around at the top of the game, compared to the crumbs that everyone else gets in terms of TV/broadcaster revenues.  If that could be rebalanced, just a little, it would make championship clubs (especially) less doe-eyed and obsessed about getting to the top table.

Sadly the PL wont' budge, so any rule changes brought in for the rest will simply be shifting chairs on the Titanic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mick70 said:

Charges dropped against dc Katrein and other person wasn’t they? Makes me wonder if the club and efl coming to an agreement about how we pay fine or points deduction? Might av been found not guilty if chargers against us but guilty of bringing game in disrepute? Or something along those lines? So instead of it rumbling along again we reach a compromise? After all we need it sorting and so do they for final league standings ??

have we been charged with 'bringing the game into disrepute'?

what 'disrepute'?

the only 'disrepute' here is them charging a club with an offence and continually failing to bring the matter to a conclusion.

IF they had the nails, we'd be hung on the wall by now, they have their rules, and from what dc says one of their own broke them, then we rode a bus through.

not sure you can be done for driving a bus through a loophole.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

it is at present, if they sanction us it likely relegates us.

then dc goes to court for damages, and where do you start with that?

£30m easily, £50m, £100m, or more?

along with the stigma of a club prosecuting a governing body, even for britain it doesn't look good.

If we are sanctioned, and then relegated because we are docked points, how could we sue for damages?

As a football club, we agree to the rules and regulations of the game in order to take part in the EFL structure, that includes spending and disciplinary rules.   We are allowed to play football outside of the EFL structure if we choose, go back to Sheffield Rules football and play Hallam  FC every week, or whatever, but we won't be playing in the EFL again.

Can you imagine any other aspect of life where you agree to a set of rules, break them, and then ask those who hold the rules to pay you compensation for upholding them?  

If we've broken the rules, we'll be punished and rightly so.  If we've not broken the rules, we won't be punished, and rightly so. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Didn't they want DC, Katrien in court for misconduct?

Originally the EFL referred us to a Disciplinary Commission, charged with misconduct by DC, JR and KM and breach of P&S rules.

SWFC then launched an arbitration case against the EFL, before a League Arbitration Panel, disputing the right of the EFL to refer us  to a Disciplinary Commission.

God knows what happened to the arbitration case. We only heard that the misconduct charges agains DC, JR and KM had been dropped.

Did SWFC agree to drop the arbitartion case in return for the EFL dropping the personal misconduct charges but accept to go before a Disciplinary Commission - who know?

Both the league arbitration and displinary proceedings are arbitral (i.e. governed by the Arbitration Act), which is an alternative to litigation through the court system.

Edited by HarrowbyOwl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Manwë said:

If we are sanctioned, and then relegated because we are docked points, how could we sue for damages?

As a football club, we agree to the rules and regulations of the game in order to take part in the EFL structure, that includes spending and disciplinary rules.   We are allowed to play football outside of the EFL structure if we choose, go back to Sheffield Rules football and play Hallam  FC every week, or whatever, but we won't be playing in the EFL again.

Can you imagine any other aspect of life where you agree to a set of rules, break them, and then ask those who hold the rules to pay you compensation for upholding them?  

If we've broken the rules, we'll be punished and rightly so.  If we've not broken the rules, we won't be punished, and rightly so. 

Not a problem with the rules BUT the hearing should have been done months ago, the EFL are the ones meant to be in charge of the game. Wheres the fairness in waiting until now??

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

This might have been explained a while ago, but does anyone know how charges against the directors can be dropped, but charges against the club remain?  Aren’t they the same thing? Or were the charges slightly different?

At a guess I’d say they were charged with individual misconduct, knowingly breaking rules / trying to hide such things etc. Obvs EFL dropped thé charges as they couldn’t be proven (I remember talk of emails being in the defendants possession they helped to clear them)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Not a problem with the rules BUT the hearing should have been done months ago, the EFL are the ones meant to be in charge of the game. Wheres the fairness in waiting until now??

I agree the timing is very shoddy.  

15 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Some sense at last.

to some though chansiri can never do wrong. And the EFL must be corrupt, have it in for us bla bla bla

Guest The Horse

The hearing might have finished last week but there's probably another few years worth of meetings needed to discuss the findings of the hearing.

Then another decade to come to a decision on those discussions.

That's a lot of biscuits that need to be ordered in.

i thought, before the whole covid situation, that any points deduction to be applied this season as a result a FFP breach would have had to be applied before end of March - we are beyond that point now with number of games left I think - did i just invent this whole rule in my head?

17 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Christ where have you been? 

dc says he had 'authorisation' in writing to do what he did.

'authorisation' means you haven't 'broken the rules'.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Absolutely.

It's all well and good the clubs that want any punishment applied this season in hope of saving their own skins, but it couldn't very well have been applied retrospectively in July if the season had finished in May.

To my mind if the EFL couldn't get the case decided in their favour by the end of the season as it was scheduled, it would be deeply unjust to take advantage of the Covid‐19 delay specifically to relegate us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Hermes was the messenger of the Gods...Theres a message comng

They just dropped me a parcel off this morning. They never said owt about an announcement. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Manwë said:

I agree the timing is very shoddy.  

Totally agree. Given the stakes for the EFL and SWFC are so high its almost certain that any decision will be appealed.

Either party has 2 weeks to lodge an appeal, which takes things past the end of the season. Then what happens?

The appeal iself will take time, leaving us not knowing if a possible points deduction will be applied retrospectively and relegated clubs not knowing where they stand.

Absolute mess

Edited by HarrowbyOwl

44 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Agree, 15 days till the season finishes. A statement from the club or efl with some sort of update wouldn’t go amiss. Once again shows how little they think of the fans IMO. 

Or alternatively, have you considered that there is actually nothing to say at this point, or nothing that they can legally advise?

Why do some of our fans just jump straight on to the back of the club if we don't get to hear any news, like it's some absolute right that fans must be kept in the loop at all times? It just baffles me.