THE EFL HEARING THREAD

7 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Surely it doesn't matter what or if the points deduction is. We just need to get as many points regardless. 

I agree but it’s the uncertainty and not knowing where we are effectively in the league.

Also this will affect the clubs attempts to recruit players, Monk has already said we’ve started sounding out targets but why would a player commit to us at the moment without knowing what league we will be in.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Why aren’t Derby getting dragged infront of one of these hearings ? 

Haven't they too appointed De Marco? Hard for him to be in two hearings at once. 

Listening to the radio last night and the reports of the matches played Derby was mentioned and the court case and possible points deduction. The reporter said in their opinion they would not get any. No mention of the court case when talking about us

6 hours ago, DlNGLE said:

🤣😂🤣😂🤣 Thick as a tub of spunk some of you lot, what our owners are doing is spending the money the club generates, because that’s how the EFL want the league to be run. It’s always going to be a massive struggle compared to other clubs for us due to the size of our fan base, but still despite how easy it would be for owners with their wealth to cheat the rules, they continue to try and find ways to operate within the rules set out by the EFL, that’s why our playing squad is the youngest in the league, to try and maximise potential revenue from player sales. Last summer we made around £6M in player sales, and we reinvested all that back into the playing squad, that’s all we could invest because that’s all we made, we couldn’t go out and buy ready made Championship players, with the experience we’re crying out for, because towards the end of their contracts they’d have no resale value, thus meaning we’d have no money generated by the club to reinvest. Their hands are tied by the rules set out by the EFL, This is why they are kicking up such a song and dance about clubs being allowed to take the p!ss.

Thanks for the clarification.

:Chansiri:

4 minutes ago, A12owl said:

That's very unbiased then. 

The whole EFL is a shambles. 

Obviously I have no proof that's why Derby havnt been hauled before the EFL, but it dosnt smell right. 

3 minutes ago, A12owl said:

EFL don't need proof either. They just do what they want. There needs to be a Football Ombudsman who is totally impartial and knows nothing about football. 

You can see the reason to appoint people from within the leagues to run the EFL until it comes to a decision which can be prejudiced by members having a vested interest. 

Thinking about it, the whole of football seems to be run by corrupt people (Blatter, and the French bloke) to name just 2.

Anywhere that there is a lot of money at stake attracts corrupt people wanting to bend the rules for their own benefit. 

Perfect role for Chansiri then!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, nbupperthongowl said:

It will also let the EFL concentrate on bigger issues, like half their members going into administration and no league one and two next season

Or a well structured, organised governing body with the interest of their members would.....so not holding my breath here

Just read on the BBC how the EPL are not giving any funding to those in the leagues below.

The figure they quote this season the EPL have given £400m to the EFL, but £260m of it has gone to 9 teams in failure payments. In that one line is the reason why English football is doomed to fail.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, A12owl said:

That's very unbiased then. 

The whole EFL is a shambles. 

Derby County were charged by the EFL in January of this year.  Not much has been said about them but I believe it is due to be heard in the summer, or certainly was.  The impact of Covid 19 may have altered that.  They are similar to Wednesday, they sold their ground to their owner.  Their owner says the stadium was valued at the price paid (~£80m) and approved by the EFL.  For Wednesday, I'm not sure they ever had Hillsborough valued, and although the EFL approved the sale, maybe the EFL were not aware that Wednesday would backdate the sale to a previous budget thus affecting the rolling three years.

The case being brought forward doesn't help Wednesday in my opinion, and I'm probably correct in saying that a change of date of the hearing is only possible if all parties agree to it, especially if the date is much sooner rather than later.   I think Wednesday will have accepted the date change proposed, and that then takes us to this point of the season, which is bonkers due to the uncertainty and our own position/form.   Derby on the other hand, could have had the same request to alter dates and said no.  If they delay until after the season ends, then any points deduction will take place the next year (probably, happy to be corrected).  They are looking to be promoted, and probably wouldn't give a throw if they had -12 points because it wouldn't apply in the EPL.  

The only other way the date would change is that the panel is deciding the outcome based on documentation supplied by the EFL and Wednesday, with little or no further input from either side.

Either way, whatever the division, I'd rather start a new season on known points than heading in to the home straight with the uncertainty that any good work could be undone by the stroke of a pen.  Wednesday should have delayed, we need to be in the Championship next season, even on a -12 start.

Edited by Manwë
  • Like 1

My (Limited) understanding of things is that the issue with us is the stadium valuation and the placing the sale into the previous years accounts.

Derby on the other hand is just concerning stadium valuation.

Could the EFL be seeing how the hearing goes with regards to our case before deciding whether or not to press ahead with Derby’s?

Listening to Kieran Magiure, he suggested a while back that if we get found not guilty then Derby almost certainly will.

31 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Afternoon Owls,

I think Derby are just in the queue, we were charged after you so our hearing will be later. I dont think any conspiracy is underway. We hate Gibson every bit as much as you do and for what ots worth, I feel the charges are just to head off legal challenges from other clubs. We both have a similar defence in that both clubs sought prior approval. In Derby's case the EFL asked for a "slight" adjustment to our valuation of our stadium to which we complied. I think your main issue may be the accounting period but then again I'm not a real accountant (or Lawyer).

Anyway, lets not turn against each other, I think that would be a shame. All the best, always love a visit to Hillsborough and games against Wednesday always feel "big"

Fingers crossed.

There's a lot more to this than the EFL holding up the financial integrity of the game.

Ever since certain clubs got all uppity, they (EFL) panicked and wanted to come across as a hardline with respect to this.

We all know that Steve Gibson only started to throw his toys out of the pram because he knew they were potentially in the brown stuff if they didnt go up last season. They didnt and are now forced to bring in Warnock to save them.

I'm pretty sure Gibson bought some of Boros debt a few years back too, but that was all fine...apparently.

54 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Derby County were charged by the EFL in January of this year.  Not much has been said about them but I believe it is due to be heard in the summer, or certainly was.  The impact of Covid 19 may have altered that.  They are similar to Wednesday, they sold their ground to their owner.  Their owner says the stadium was valued at the price paid (~£80m) and approved by the EFL.  For Wednesday, I'm not sure they ever had Hillsborough valued, and although the EFL approved the sale, maybe the EFL were not aware that Wednesday would backdate the sale to a previous budget thus affecting the rolling three years.

The case being brought forward doesn't help Wednesday in my opinion, and I'm probably correct in saying that a change of date of the hearing is only possible if all parties agree to it, especially if the date is much sooner rather than later.   I think Wednesday will have accepted the date change proposed, and that then takes us to this point of the season, which is bonkers due to the uncertainty and our own position/form.   Derby on the other hand, could have had the same request to alter dates and said no.  If they delay until after the season ends, then any points deduction will take place the next year (probably, happy to be corrected).  They are looking to be promoted, and probably wouldn't give a throw if they had -12 points because it wouldn't apply in the EPL.  

The only other way the date would change is that the panel is deciding the outcome based on documentation supplied by the EFL and Wednesday, with little or no further input from either side.

Either way, whatever the division, I'd rather start a new season on known points than heading in to the home straight with the uncertainty that any good work could be undone by the stroke of a pen.  Wednesday should have delayed, we need to be in the Championship next season, even on a -12 start.

It's the chairman of the Disciplinary Commission that can bring things forwarded if requested by the league .

See EFL Rules: Section 8 (Investigations & Disciplinary Proceedings), Rule 91.1:

91.1 The chairperson of the Disciplinary Commission shall have the power to abridge the time period set out in Regulation 89.3, on application by the Claimant, if there is a compelling reason why the proceedings before the Disciplinary Commission need to be concluded expeditiously.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-8---offences-inquiries-commissions-disputes-and-appeals/

Edited by HarrowbyOwl
  • Thanks 1