The 352 ?

When you play attack minded wing backs then the focus will always be on your right and left sided CBs as any opposition manage worth his salt would look to expose the space behind the wing backs. Not sure Palmer and Borner are the answer long term in that particular scenario.

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I liked it. Thought it had lots of plusses.

We are blessed with high-octane wide players. They have their faults but in Harris, Murphy, Reach, Moses and Fox we have five players who are fit and willing and can run and run and run.

The back three looked solid. Very little got through. Significantly their goal was a fast breakaway from our attacking dead-ball.

In the midfield, not one of Lee, Bannan or Luongo were at their best, but as a combined trio they did enable us to dominate a strong fully-fit promotion-chasing Forest.

Up top, unless Fletcher plays, we are hopeless with a lone-striker. Rhodes-Wickham looked decent. Each got good first-half chances. Two strikers are a handful for a defence and give Bannan, Lee and Luongo options and runners. 

We got the ball to our wing-backs time after time. That was great. Often they had time and space and really worried the full-backs. 

The negative - our final decision and delivery was poor. That needs work. Our best crosser by light years is Reach. For me he has to play. 

All in all I thought it excellent. Full of promise. Hope he sticks to it but experiments with different personnel.

With the players we have in our team we have been screaming out for it for ages, sad thing it's taken this long.

• Like 1

I think it helped our shape and amount of players available in attacking positions compared to before, but we also made very poor use of a lot of these situations, poor decision making and final balls.

We didn't look quite comfortable with it yet I thought either, need to get the centrebacks more involved in building attacks when using 3 of them.

Think it's worth giving it a go for a while.

With a striker who could run the channels and play off Wickham/Fletcher it would be better too.

Edited by Guest

The LCB and RCB in a 352 need to have attributes of a full back aswell as a centre back. Iorfa is more suited to the position Palmer played Saturday and I’d say Lees is more suited being the middle of the 3 CBs. 

Borner and Iorfa are both much better on the ball than Lees and both like to step out the back line, something Lees doesn’t do.

Also would like to see Odubajo and Reach as the wingbacks. Both have experience of the role and something different to offer on each wing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

@Holmowl I though you were a staunch 4 at the back man on previous threads?

Huge fan of 442, yes. 

I think we are at our best when we play two proper strikers and get width into our games with Bannan pulling the strings.

Equally pleased with 352. Allows us to play those two strikers and gives Bannan more support and protection in midfield.

If we played 3 at the back then I’d be happier if it was Iorfa Borner Fox till the end of the season. Both Iorfa and Fox wouldn’t be uncomfortable being pulled out into the full back positions and Borner has experience and is decent on the ball to be the central organiser as he lacks a little pace to be stuck in the outer positions.

• Like 2

Wildsmith
                Iorfa         Borner         Fox
Odubajo        Lee    Luongo    Bannan      Reach
                       Fletcher      Wickham

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

If we played 3 at the back then I’d be happier if it was Iorfa Borner Fox till the end of the season. Both Iorfa and Fox wouldn’t be uncomfortable being pulled out into the full back positions and Borner has experience and is decent on the ball to be the central organiser as he lacks a little pace to be stuck in the outer positions.

Wouldn’t it concern you that Borner and Fox are all left-foot?

On a thread last week where 352 was discussed I posted that Iorfa-Lees-Fox would be my pick. 

Iorfa and Fox have better distribution than Lees, and it’s the two wider CBs that do most of the distribution. Fox and Iorfa are pacy. They are each on their strong foot.

Borner worries me. Really good distribution but alarmingly slow. Gets into some odd positions too.

Palmer never came into my head in that role, but after a perfectly good display Saturday should he have the job taken off him? Can’t recall him putting a foot wrong. In fact I can barely recall him...maybe that’s a good thing? Unfussy, unambitious but solid.

We’ve 5 players who can play it. That’s great cover. Fox, Borner, Iorfa, Lees, Palmer.

We have 3 genuine wing-backs: Reach, Murphy, Harris. Fox and Palmer as fair cover too.

Really promising.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Wouldn’t it concern you that Borner and Fox are all left-foot?

On a thread last week where 352 was discussed I posted that Iorfa-Lees-Fox would be my pick. 

Iorfa and Fox have better distribution than Lees, and it’s the two wider CBs that do most of the distribution. Fox and Iorfa are pacy. They are each on their strong foot.

Absolutely not and it’s quite an odd statement really because with your picks both Iorfa and Lees are all right foot and you state that Lees has poor distribution. At least Borner is better in that department.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Absolutely not and it’s quite an odd statement really because with your picks both Iorfa and Lees are all right foot and you state that Lees has poor distribution. At least Borner is better in that department.

Sorry I’d missed that you had Borner central.

I thought you’d put Borner-Iorfa-Fox.

Though I think Lees is twice the player Borner is.

Edited by Holmowl