23 June & 1 July

I read that out of contract players need to sign by 23 June to extend for this season. 23 June is Tuesday so tomorrow will be interesting.

1 July - can we sign new players as per a standard season?

EFL hearing - surely, surely, a decision has to be given imminently?? We can’t go into the final few games not knowing the outcome, the EFL really are a shambles.

Guest wilyfox

Think the rule is they must be offered a new deal/extension by the 23rd if we intend to keep. Doesn't need to be signed by that date.

12 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I’d be amazed if the EFL dock us points this season with what’s going on

That’s my view as well. To get a points deduction, maybe a week or so before the end of the season with what’s going on would be more than brutal.

I don’t see it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

That’s my view as well. To get a points deduction, maybe a week or so before the end of the season with what’s going on would be more than brutal.

I don’t see it. 

Maybe he EFL will drag their feet. If it’s concluded before the season finishes and they don’t dock us points, it’ll cause an almighty sh*tstorm involving the clubs that go down 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flying-owl said:

EFL are waiting to see if Middlesbrough finish in bottom 3 before they decide how many points they will deduct from us 👀

It's got to be this season. They can't let it drag in to next season. I personally think we will be relegated from ot and tangled in a further dispute with the EFL.

The rules have got to change regarding FFP. If teams have money they should be allowed to spend it. 

9 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I don’t see it. 

Same here, the season should have ended in May and the hearing was always set for July.  If it wasn't for the Covid delay, points would have to be deducted retrospectively for it to impact this season.  

Given that parachute payments were intended to save clubs getting into difficulties if they were relegated. Why don’t they just say clubs can spend a maximum fixed amount each year? For example say £50m. That way the relegated clubs are protected, by only having to find £40m. Ambitious owners can stump up the full  £50m and the playing field is once again level. Very simplictic I know

• Like 3

Guest paulvcooke
19 hours ago, 109Waddle said:

I read that out of contract players need to sign by 23 June to extend for this season. 23 June is Tuesday so tomorrow will be interesting.

1 July - can we sign new players as per a standard season?

EFL hearing - surely, surely, a decision has to be given imminently?? We can’t go into the final few games not knowing the outcome, the EFL really are a shambles.

Yes, players whose contracts are expiring and want (and have been offered) to sign a short term extension to their present contract have to sign by the 23rd.

On the 1st if July we (and any other club) can sign players whose contracts have expired. Can't play them this season though, but that's not what you asked.

The first two thing you asked about, I know the answers to, the EFL hearing....who knows.

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

Given that parachute payments were intended to save clubs getting into difficulties if they were relegated. Why don’t they just say clubs can spend a maximum fixed amount each year? For example say £50m. That way the relegated clubs are protected, by only having to find £40m. Ambitious owners can stump up the full  £50m and the playing field is once again level. Very simplictic I know

Said similar to my mates for a while. 

Owners who want to should be able to match the parachute payments. Even if that is by proving funds in some kind of holding account. 

Guest Grandad
On 21/06/2020 at 08:43, 109Waddle said:

I thought it was us who delayed the hearing?

The situation with players' contracts is farcical and was entirely foreseeable.

Any pretence of sporting integrity for the remainder of the season has gone out of the window when we have several first team players out of contract and unsure whether to sign for the rest of the season and Charlton are losing their best striker for the rest of the season for the same reason.

• Like 2