Fletcher

7 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

I refuse to believe this is some sort of manufactured injury to avoid a new contract or manufacture a move, he could have quite easily "pulled up in the warm up" or whilst warming up to come on.  My mrs spotted it in the background on iFollow about 2 mins after he'd come on.  The camera was on the action and she just goes "Fletcher's limping look", by the time she'd said it the camera had moved away.  Then about a minute later the commentators picked up on it.

His first action was a typically physical attempt to block a defensive clearance. He was feeling the very top of his hamstring straightaway. Could hardly move.

Im hopeful it was a reaction to time-off rather than a nasty one.

Not surprising really, given the lack of real preparation, following the decision to condense the rest of the season into 6 weeks. In quite a few games already, players have limped off with these sort of problems, hence the relaxation of the substitute rulings Don’t think it’s anything sinister, probably Fletcher was a bit touch and go, and we would have preferred not to use him We needed a goal, so took the gamble, and sadly it didn’t work out, for Fletcher at least

Guest wilyfox
17 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Anyone else think that’s maybe the last we will see of him in a Wednesday shirt?

My earlier post was in jest. Fletch is not the sort to feign injury. Unlikely we'll see him next week, so it's contract decision time.

I don't want us over-committing to an injury-prone 33yr-old. Overall, he's served us well, but we've been patching him up for 4yrs. I would hope that finances dictate a smaller squad, and that needs robust players. 

Edited by wilyfox

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

My earlier post was in jest. Fletch is not the sort to feign injury. Unlikely we'll see him next week, so it's contract decision time.

I don't want us over-committing to an injury-prone 33yr-old. Overall, he's served us well, but we've been patching him up for 4yrs. I would hope that finances dictate a smaller squad, and that needs robust players. 

‘Served us well’? He will have taken the thick end of £10m from the club over the last 4 years. That works out at nearly £300,000 a goal. This overpaid squad have failed, miserably.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, vulva said:

‘Served us well’? He will have taken the thick end of £10m from the club over the last 4 years. That works out at nearly £300,000 a goal. This overpaid squad have failed, miserably.  

£10m? I doubt that. Believed to be on 30kpw, that's circa £6m over 4yrs. He leads by example, and scored into double-figures in 3 of his 4 seasons. Were it not for knee injury 2nd season, he would have probably done so that year too. You can blame Chansiri for putting his bumper contract on the table if ya like, but you can't blame Fletcher for taking it. He has served us well, but that doesn't automatically mean we should continue with him. 

23 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Interesting the Yorkshire post have given 5/10 for his contribution in the game. I wonder how badly you have to be to score less than that. 

Theres chance yet then for me to make it as a average championship player. I'm only 42 as well so might tick the boxes for hillsborough, 3 year contract?. .. Might dig out the old kit and boots now. See ya soon. 

• Haha 2

There was a close in camera shot of something and I saw Fletcher momentarily walk past holding the top of his hamstring. 

I think you have to question whether he was really fit enough to be on the bench. Maybe desperation all round really - Fletcher to prove to suitors he was fit and worth a 2 year contract on good money, Monk because he has no clue what to do if Fletcher doesn’t perform

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

So do we offer him a new contract now or later?

Beyond barmy giving him a contract here 

Thought the contract was offered months ago but remains unsigned. Same with Fox.

The fact that it remains unsigned after such a long period and he’s injured again makes me think the offer should now be withdrawn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

Interesting the Yorkshire post have given 5/10 for his contribution in the game. I wonder how badly you have to be to score less than that

Something like this perhaps?

Elephant.gif

• Haha 3

some of the conspiracy theories that pop up on owlstalk are truly outstanding,

A new career in program production for the history or discovery channels awaits some posters on here lol

On 21/06/2020 at 09:52, Blatter said:

Thought the contract was offered months ago but remains unsigned. Same with Fox.

The fact that it remains unsigned after such a long period and he’s injured again makes me think the offer should now be withdrawn. 

That's a bit harsh, if it's just a muscle strain. We have a natural deadline coming at the end of the month when current contracts expire and I do think then offers should be withdrawn for him and Fox.

Fletcher's terms need to be tempered against he cost of probably a 12 month deal and the cost of replacing his contribution. Unless we get lucky, to replace a fit (and I accept thats a question mark and consideration after Saturday)  Fletcher is out of our price range. 

On 20/06/2020 at 23:23, @owlstalk said:

Samir Nasri and Mamady Sidibe both ended up being substituted just THREE minutes after coming off the bench.

Nasri was taken off due to injury after coming on in the 73rd minute of Manchester City's win at Tottenham in May 2015.

Meanwhile, Sidibe was ruled out for the rest of the season after snapping an Achilles tendon just three minutes after coming on as a substitute in Stoke's defeat to Tottenham in August 2010.

There are six players to have lasted four minutes after coming on as substitutes.

They are: Bolton's Nicky Hunt against Arsenal in March 2008, Man City's Edin Dzeko against QPR in November 2014, Newcastle's Keith Gillespie against Tottenham in April 1998, Newcastle's Alex Mathie against Leicester in August 1994, Oldham's Richard Graham against Southampton in March 1994 and Leeds' Carl Shutt against Oldham in February 1993.

What about the Blunty who came on as sub and got sent off after his first tackle. It was the game which was abandoned as they ended up with just 7 players......