West Stand Tunnel at Hillsborough

8 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I’ve only ever been on the Lep twice

Upper tier 84/85 season Vs Everton lost 1-0

Lower tier 16/17 season v Wolves drew 0-0

Used to go on most weeks, could be entertaining meeting the away fans. 

I have old an VHS copy with me stood on the Leps, televised game by MOM.  Could just make out my jumper.

Just need a video player now, wonder if they still sell them.  

Edited by Inspector Lestrade

Went down there my first ever game at eight year old. Went early with family , walked down the tunnel and gradually saw the whole ground open up. Still remember being awe struck, and the start of a love affair 

I’ve only been the Leppings Lane end about twice, when the home fans were let in on the bottom tier some time probably early 90s, but I don’t remember that tunnel. It certainly does look a narrow one.

I think one of  the gameS I went to was against Middlesbrough and Big Jack was there at half time for some commemoration of something or other. Or maybe I’ve had too much cheese and dreamt it all.

Edited by Pablo Bonvin

Stood behind the Leppings Lane goal for most home matches in the early 60’s. The tunnel was part of the original large standing area and was perfectly safe as originally designed. There were wide access points from either end of the terraces so you could just move up or sideways if it got crowded, which was pretty rare. The later addition of the upper tier and then the penned cages made it a far different place  from what was originally intended.

Looking at that tunnel cannot fail to bring back memories of what happened there.

47 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Stood behind the Leppings Lane goal for most home matches in the early 60’s. The tunnel was part of the original large standing area and was perfectly safe as originally designed. There were wide access points from either end of the terraces so you could just move up or sideways if it got crowded, which was pretty rare. The later addition of the upper tier and then the penned cages made it a far different place  from what was originally intended.

Looking at that tunnel cannot fail to bring back memories of what happened there.

The whole stand was built in one project 

3 hours ago, Lombado said:

Watched most matches in the late 70's from the lep. Tunnel was good for when it was raining at HT etc.

I used to stand at the back as there was a small overhang from the seats above.

Boxing Day 79 changed that experience. Seem to remember using the kop afterwards.

You bought a ticket for the Utd end ?

My first ever game I stood on the Leppings Lane terrace, and stood on the triangle loads of times in the 80’s.

Sat in the top tier against Watford in the 80’s and against Bristol City 1991 promotion night, and the England B game in the 90’s.

It’s a cracking view to be fair, but the whole thing should have gone 30 years ago.

All my early games were in the Lepping Lane end in the early sixties,my Uncle used to take me and I would run right to the front and hang onto the wall.I used to turn around to see where he was and there he was in his flat cap smoking his pipe.I remember my first night match as a pretty surreal thing,I don't remember the game ,but what stuck in my mind,and still is a vivid picture I have was looking up at all the smoke rising to the sky into the floodlights.

Twice I actually had the ball in my hands ,the first time I threw it back to Ron Springett and he said thanks ,I was made up and told all my mates. The second was throwing it to Johnny Fantham,my all time hero, who caught and spilled it ,he turned around and said 'take your time son',I was too young to understand time wasting.

I then graduated to the Kop and went with my mates from Stocksbridge,no roof then.

51 years seperated my next visit to the Lep,we had tickets for the Kop but swapped them for the Lep for the Brighton game so I could show my Stepson what Hillsborough looks like from our usual view,must admit it was the most fantastic view of the Hillsborough Lights you could have and still one of my favourite nights in a long footy life.

• Like 1