Championship free agents

16 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I've done no such thing. Saying we can't offer Fox attractive terms is not a criticism, it's indicative of the situation we - and many other clubs - find ourselves in moving forward.

I posted the Fox comment in response to the suggestion we should be recruiting peripheral prem players, most of whom I suspect earn more than Fox. 

Exactly.  The good young players that will be released are the ones on 10-20k and the reason they are being released is because they are on that much. And Clubs wont pay players that much now to sit in the under 23s. Trouble is they got a taste for that wage and being in a top 6 club academy has got them thinking they are something special. When the reality is most wont even cut it at this level.

Its why I have been going on about why its important for us to not take Fox for granted, if he is only wanting around 10k odd a week. Because we will be in for a shock when a player who has one sub premier league appearance and two league cup games under his belt is asking for double that amount.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Exactly.  The good young players that will be released are the ones on 10-20k and the reason they are being released is because they are on that much. And Clubs wont pay players that much now to sit in the under 23s. Trouble is they got a taste for that wage and being in a top 6 club academy has got them thinking they are something special. When the reality is most wont even cut it at this level.

Its why I have been going on about why its important for us to not take Fox for granted, if he is only wanting around 10k odd a week. Because we will be in for a shock when a player who has one sub premier league appearance and two league cup games under his belt is asking for double that amount.

I agree with what another poster said to me... Less likely to be a money issue with Fox. More likely he has multiple offers from clubs in higher positions than us.

I like Fox. He's improved significantly the past 18 months and overcame excessive criticism. If 3 at the back is something Monk considers moving forward, I think Fox would be great on the left of a 3 - just like Pudil before him. Similarities between them. 

8 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I agree with what another poster said to me... Less likely to be a money issue with Fox. More likely he has multiple offers from clubs in higher positions than us.

I like Fox. He's improved significantly the past 18 months and overcame excessive criticism. If 3 at the back is something Monk considers moving forward, I think Fox would be great on the left of a 3 - just like Pudil before him. Similarities between them. 

Think he has got options. But I dont think we know what he has decided on yet as had he already said he wasnt signing the new contract then I dont think Monk would have had him in the squad. 

So if we do need to up our offer a fraction to get him to stay, if that's what he is telling us. Then I think we should.

Plenty I would take a look at (some of these might be out of date, not sure!) :-

GKs - Darlow (Newcastle), Archer (Fulham) 

RBs - Freeman (Dem Shithouses), Gunter (Reading), Matthews (Charlton) 

CBs - Ayala (Middlesborough), Chester (Villa), Hutchinson (Milwall

LBs - Kingsley (Hull), Obita (Reading), Friend (Middlesborough)

DM - Ki (Mallorca), Colback (Newcastle)

CM - Irvine (Hull)

LM - Anya (Derby)

ST - Ward (Cardiff)

All would add something and would be value for money (well, just wages) IMO. 

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Think he has got options. But I dont think we know what he has decided on yet as had he already said he wasnt signing the new contract then I dont think Monk would have had him in the squad. 

So if we do need to up our offer a fraction to get him to stay, if that's what he is telling us. Then I think we should.

He may want a move back down South for family reasons, especially after the lockdown

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I've done no such thing. Saying we can't offer Fox attractive terms is not a criticism, it's indicative of the situation we - and many other clubs - find ourselves in moving forward.

I posted the Fox comment in response to the suggestion we should be recruiting peripheral prem players, most of whom I suspect earn more than Fox. 

Peripheral prem players may well be unemployed as well in the coming weeks, I think this is a supply and demand thing - in that the supply will far outstrip the demand and put the power back in the hands of the clubs.

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Peripheral prem players may well be unemployed as well in the coming weeks, I think this is a supply and demand thing - in that the supply will far outstrip the demand and put the power back in the hands of the clubs.

That is the hope. No guarantee it'll go that way. Prem clubs will still drop down with their parachute payments, and other clubs will explore ways to compete. If they do suspend FFP for a year, out come all the extortionists again..

Edited by wilyfox

7 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

That is the hope. No guarantee it'll go that way. Prem clubs will still drop down with their parachute payments, and other clubs will explore ways to compete. If they do suspend FFP for a year, out come all the extortionists again..

I don’t think that will be the case and there will be a partial reset. 

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I don’t think that will be the case and there will be a partial reset. 

I'm sure people will still chase ideals, and realists will continue to break them and find ways to make money.