David Luiz

How on earth as this imposter managed to ply his trade as a footballer at the top level? His latest calamity last night was yet another addition to his career long mishaps. He was one of the central defenders who "helped" Brazil to lose 8-0 to Germany in a world cup game. I can't believe that Chelsea signed him twice then had Arsenals pants down. Worst defender in the history of the premier league.

• Like 4

I can think of much worse players...but, when he's bad, he is really, really bad. 

Tbf, he was brilliant for Chelsea a few years back when they won the title under Conte...though I think that was more to do with Conte and playing within a system which suited him perfectly. 

He's an absolute car crash in a standard back four though. Far too reckless and has zero sense of danger. 

1 hour ago, megsonstheman said:

How on earth as this imposter managed to ply his trade as a footballer at the top level? His latest calamity last night was yet another addition to his career long mishaps. He was one of the central defenders who "helped" Brazil to lose 8-0 to Germany in a world cup game. I can't believe that Chelsea signed him twice then had Arsenals pants down. Worst defender in the history of the premier league.

Was that 8-0 the one where they lost 7-1..?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

A defender that can’t defend - a bit like Van Allen. I’ve never rated him.

Arsenal need to send him back to Chelsea this summer. 

We'd be a lot better if we had the Van Allen belt protecting our goal than Van Aken! lol

Edited by Guest

Bit of an overreaction. Premier League winner, Champions League winner, over 50 caps for Brazil.

Fantastic ball playing defender in his day. But has always had a mistake in him. Doesn't override his achievements in the game. People forget he's 33 now, getting on a bit and way past his best. Which is why he's at this poor Arsenal side. 

• Like 1

Really rated Luiz to be honest, maybe age has caught up with him in the last season or two. 

Always thought he’d be a better defensive mid, he’s really quite good on the ball and athletic. I think it might have been Conte at Chelsea that played him there for a while. 

He's nowhere near the worst defender in PL history. 

He just has a propensity to make some high profile gaffes and he's always going to be someone who stands out. He's also one of those that the media like to put the boot into. 

The problem is Arsenal have bought him past his best and they weren't exactly defensively solid before he arrived. He was not going to be the man to shore up that defence, particularly in a standard back four, in what is a naturally attacking team. 

Stick the bloke in the middle of a back three or in a holding role and you will see a different player. 

1 minute ago, Big Malc said:

Assume you’d also have to keep the ball well away from him, too?

He’s been a complete clownshoes since he arrived here, let’s be honest.  A defender that can’t really defend.

He was in the PFA team of the year in 2016/2017. 

No denying his propensity to make stupid mistakes, but he's nowhere near as bad as some are making out on here. 

On 18/06/2020 at 12:07, megsonstheman said:

To be fair he was partnered with Dante who was absolutely terrible in that game.

Apart from Silva I cannot think of many decent Brazilian defenders, especially in the English game.

4 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

He has John Stones syndrome  :biggrin:

My particular favourite was the Germany mauling when , at the 3 or 4 nil point he threw a massive strop and "went to play on the left wing" like a spoilt 10 year old.

One of the most enjoyable games I've ever watched,Just a pity the German's took they're foot off the pedal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, belfast owl lad said:

One of the most enjoyable games I've ever watched,Just a pity the German's took they're foot off the pedal.

I think Philip Lahm told the team to ease off , as they were scoring every time they went forward. It would have easily been double figures otherwise. 

If there was one defender that is pure 'Arsenal ' then it's Luiz. Terrible signing, everyone knew it. Hilariously,  Arteta was interested in John Stones , really rates him . A defence of Luiz & Stones would be an attackers dream.