BREAKING NEWS - Steven Fletcher in contention for Forest game

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk: “With Fletch, he picked up an injury last week so he didn’t train, he had a slight niggle. But he has back in training this week and has trained all week”

“In terms of that side of it, all the players that are in the training group that are out of contract have been asked to extend beyond this month and into next month to complete these games, that’s the short-term view right now.

”They’ve all been asked. There are a few discussions still going on with that but we have time. We have until the end of the month to finalise that. 

“We need everyone in in this period in terms of the bigger picture. Hopefully things will get done.

Roughly translated as it depends on whether or not I have a deal lined up, or whether there's a good indication you will sign me up again. If not I ain't playing.

Fair enough really.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Yes I suppose if you are a player thinking you are out on your ear 30th July you are probably right.

For those already in negotiations (Fletcher fingers crossed) you would agree a 9 game extension.

I really hope so because with so many games in a short space of time we are going to need every last one of them.

If the German leagues are anything to go by, so many players have been getting pulled muscle injuries, which the often cure is rest but we cannot afford to lose players such as Fletcher to a 2 weeks rest which would be 4 or 5 games.

What will be interest to see should it happen, will he play Westwood, Rhodes, Winnall, Hutch and Bates, if he has no other option or will he risk the club and player by picking a youngster who is not ready.

6 hours ago, room0035 said:

I doubt it, as I don't think every other club has 14 of their first team squad out of contract within the next 12 days. Though some will have loan players.

Just checked.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8222955/amp/Gary-Neville-warns-problem-brewing-EFL-players-contract-June.html

Over 1,000 players out of contract in championship, L1 and L2.

71 clubs.

Thats over 14 per club on average. 

Like I said, all clubs in same boat - this is not just an SWFC problem. 

Let’s keep moaning though. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Just checked.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8222955/amp/Gary-Neville-warns-problem-brewing-EFL-players-contract-June.html

Over 1,000 players out of contract in championship, L1 and L2.

71 clubs.

Thats over 14 per club on average. 

Like I said, all clubs in same boat - this is not just an SWFC problem. 

Let’s keep moaning though. 

You have a 2 month old article that includes league 1 and league that most season get rid of most of their players.

I noted in an earlier thread how the top 3 are being affected but the differ with them is all have move to tie players down, in true DC fashion we have left everything to the last minute.

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

You have a 2 month old article that includes league 1 and league that most season get rid of most of their players.

I noted in an earlier thread how the top 3 are being affected but the differ with them is all have move to tie players down, in true DC fashion we have left everything to the last minute.

Just ignore the facts and keep posting. 

The article confirms over 1,000 players out of contract. 

It’s a big problem for almost every club. 

If we get through the last few games and stay up, it’s also a very big opportunity to clear out the deadwood, wasters and trouble causers, then re-build our squad with players who can demand lower wages than a year ago because of market conditions. 

This situation creates opportunities as well as threats. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

The other thing you are forgetting is that very few clubs will want to offer new contracts to players because there is so much uncertainty about income and the crisis creates an opportunity to wait and pick up players on much less expensive terms. 

Looking at the championship list on another thread from 15th May, others have bigger issues on contracts than us. 

Very few of those will have signed up in the last month for the reasons above. 

11 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

The other thing you are forgetting is that very few clubs will want to offer new contracts to players because there is so much uncertainty about income and the crisis creates an opportunity to wait and pick up players on much less expensive terms. 

Looking at the championship list on another thread from 15th May, others have bigger issues on contracts than us. 

Very few of those will have signed up in the last month for the reasons above. 

I do agree with what you say overall, but wonder if the players who get resigned on less money will be demotivated to some degree. 

24 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I do agree with what you say overall, but wonder if the players who get resigned on less money will be demotivated to some degree. 

Hopefully not, if the lower salaries are the norm for new contracts....who will we have left on  money....reach, Westwood, bannan, lees?

On 18/06/2020 at 10:32, casbahowl said:

Westwood & Hutch haven’t returned to training.

Spoke to a mate of Hutch yesterday and he’s defo done. Bought a house outside Windsor and returning to where he grew up. No club to go to tho...