Jackson Irvine

Guest wilyfox

Luongo has been a disaster of a signing, especially if we paid a million for him.

Lee is finished by the looks of it

Pelupessy is dreadful

Hunt who knows.

No brainer to me, been decent every time I've seen him 

11 minutes ago, modboy said:

Luongo has been a disaster of a signing, especially if we paid a million for him.

Lee is finished by the looks of it

Pelupessy is dreadful

Hunt who knows.

No brainer to me, been decent every time I've seen him 

All I would say to that then is, sell Luongo first, before bringing in someone like Irvine

Guest Grez Bez
35 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

How come Barnsley don’t play him but Hull do? I get the manager link. Thought he’d be one Barnsley wanted to keep hold of 

He was terrible at Hillsborough. Very young though and has something, looked great at Donny.

Was surprised he left Barnsley

13 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If we don’t have room for him, it doesn’t matter whether he’s free or not. Two players for every position is generally the norm in football Maybe the emphasis might be on bigger squads, but I doubt it somehow

If our midfield 4 for next season is Bannan, Luongo, Pelupessy & Hunt then it’s going to be a long, hard, miserable season.

We are getting rid of a load of big earners very very soon so we can’t conceivably replace one with two cheaper options & still have a bit left over.

Jackson Irvine, whilst not a world beater, offers far more than probably three quarters of that list - what with Luongo being another inductee into the Wednesday Injury List Hall of Fame, Hunts inexperience & Joey being Joey.

Maybe Monk isn’t as clueless as most would have us believe and is actually trying to, y’know, build a decent squad?

Guest wilyfox
3 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

Seems like we've enquired about Wilks (who's on loan at Hull from Barnsley), as well. 

Wheres that come from mate?

5 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

If our midfield 4 for next season is Bannan, Luongo, Pelupessy & Hunt then it’s going to be a long, hard, miserable season.

We are getting rid of a load of big earners very very soon so we can’t conceivably replace one with two cheaper options & still have a bit left over.

Jackson Irvine, whilst not a world beater, offers far more than probably three quarters of that list - what with Luongo being another inductee into the Wednesday Injury List Hall of Fame, Hunts inexperience & Joey being Joey.

Maybe Monk isn’t as clueless as most would have us believe and is actually trying to, y’know, build a decent squad?

On the last point, I hope that turns out to be true, and in another thread, I posted that I felt we had been linked with some interesting players. That said, as far as I am aware, we haven’t been linked with Irvine. Would I be hostile to the move if it came about? Probably not, we are not in a position to turn our nose up at a player with his pedigree. My main concern would be, if he were signed at the expense of some younger legs.

14 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Well we currently have Bannan, Luongo, Pelupessy and Hunt available for the central midfield berths, and bear in mind, we generally only play two in there. Don’t see Irvine as a defensive midfielder, more of a box to box player, a bit like Luongo

Who amongst all those does the box to box role that Irvine has carried out for all of his career?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

He was terrible at Hillsborough. Very young though and has something, looked great at Donny.

Was surprised he left Barnsley

Apparently he was rubbish for Barnsley with his debut at Fulham being the only exception. Not working hard etc.

Agree something clicked at Donny though. Perhaps a bit like Enekobahre where there is plenty of talent but questionable application!

He has looked far better in the Championship than he did in the SPFL. Scored a few goals down here to compliment his work rate but he’s not a top half midfielder IMO. 

Irvine is probably the kind of market we are shopping in at the moment and he has experience in the division. We aren’t going to have money to spend, we could do a lot worse.

Irvine, at the time of him leaving Burton was the perfect player for us. Box to box, goals and a bit of a presence in the middle. I can't say much for him since then as he's slipped under my radar but a regular starter at this level is not to be sniffed at in the position we're in. 

Would be an upgrade to Lee and Pessy at least

Guest Jack the Hat
On 16/06/2020 at 15:37, bladeshater said:

Not sure think he's gone backwards in last couple of years

He’d fit in perfect here then.

It’s his age that bothers me, well not specifically his age, but the average age of our midfield. The three current first choice midfielders, all under contract, are all in that 27-30 bracket. Fine, I don’t have a problem with that, but I want us to avoid again assembling a back up group of a similar age. Surely we have to learn the lessons of that kind of approach We need younger blood, or legs, in that department 

By all means consider a player like Irvine, but only as a replacement for one of the existing three

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s his age that bothers me, well not specifically his age, but the average age of our midfield. The three current first choice midfielders, all under contract, are all in that 27-30 bracket. Fine, I don’t have a problem with that, but I want us to avoid again assembling a back up group of a similar age. Surely we have to learn the lessons of that kind of approach We need younger blood, or legs, in that department 

By all means consider a player like Irvine, but only as a replacement for one of the existing three

He is 27 thats fine. should be in his peak. If he was 30 then it maybe an issue. but even if he signs a three year contract he will still be ok at the end of it.

• Like 3