Jackson Irvine

Guest wilyfox

7 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Yes, we need some younger legs. I my opinion, however many players we recruit this summer, half need to be under the age of 25 - but not all, and writing off a 27yr-old is probably taking it too far, mate. He's an established champ performer, an international, that has the kind of drive, physicality, & athleticism we need in the middle third. Could be a very useful freebie. 

I guess my take on it is, we have three experienced central midfielders already, so there isn’t much scope to bring in many younger players in that department, especially if we now consider Hunt to be part of the squad Also, we need a defensive midfielder, hence our supposed interest in the German lad. 
So maybe room for one more, if we are going to go with 3 in central midfield. For me, it looks as if it’s either Luongo or Irvine. Both similar in style, that would mean they were probably competing for the one role

1 minute ago, malek said:

Would be typical Wednesday's signing. Very average short term solution that won't improve us or get us one penny in transfer fee.

How can you say he won't improve us? He offers something very different to what we have now and he is only 27 so there is the possibility of a transfer fee in future.

3 minutes ago, malek said:

Would be typical Wednesday's signing. Very average short term solution that won't improve us or get us one penny in transfer fee.

Do you not think he is better than Pelupessy? A regular starter at this level for 4 seasons and a decent age. Better than the Mason Bennett link you talked up earlier in the week. 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Do you not think he is better than Pelupessy? A regular starter at this level for 4 seasons and a decent age. Better than the Mason Bennett link you talked up earlier in the week. 

The difference is, we already have 4 central midfielders, one of whom plays in a very similar role to Irvine. Up front, we may only have Jordan Rhodes, who we will most likely be moving on

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The difference is, we already have 4 central midfielders, one of whom plays in a very similar role to Irvine. Up front, we may only have Jordan Rhodes, who we will most likely be moving on

Who are the 4, which one of them does a similar role to Irvine? Yes we need strikers but we also need a midfielder who can do a defensive job and get about the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Who are the 4, which one of them does a similar role to Irvine? Yes we need strikers but we also need a midfielder who can do a defensive job and get about the pitch. 

Well we currently have Bannan, Luongo, Pelupessy and Hunt available for the central midfield berths, and bear in mind, we generally only play two in there. Don’t see Irvine as a defensive midfielder, more of a box to box player, a bit like Luongo

If I follow you, your saying we have four midfielders. One of which is a squad player at best, one has no experience in the league and using that as a reason not to sign a good player, at a decent age, with good experience of the league on a free transfer? On top of that saying we need to sign forwards....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2soon said:

If I follow you, your saying we have four midfielders. One of which is a squad player at best, one has no experience in the league and using that as a reason not to sign a good player, at a decent age, with good experience of the league on a free transfer? On top of that saying we need to sign forwards....

It depends, personally I favour a system that uses three central midfielders, generally Monk favours two. We already have four, but as you say, Hunt has very little first team experience, so do we put him back in the U23s? We are unlikely to have more than two players for every position, except for maybe goalkeepers. If we can only sign one in this department, I’d rather it be someone younger than Irvine

59 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If we sign him, it wouldn't be to compete with Pelupessy, but Luongo and be improvement on Kieran Lee. Irvine is a player who did really well for that one season Burton spent in The Championship and then was very average (at best) for 3 seasons at Hull.

Better than the Mason Bennett link you talked up earlier in the week. 

Again, I didn't "talked up" Mason earlier in the week, but tried to offer bit of perspective. First thing I posted about him was how I'm not "his biggest fan". I stated how it could be possible that we will look to bring in 2 or 3 strikers in the Summer, how hard it is to find right ones and how Bennett is nowhere near as catastrophic option as some posters were making it out to be.

Guest wilyfox
43 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well we currently have Bannan, Luongo, Pelupessy and Hunt available for the central midfield berths, and bear in mind, we generally only play two in there. Don’t see Irvine as a defensive midfielder, more of a box to box player, a bit like Luongo

I'd rather play dual-purpose mids like Irvine & Luongo. The other 3 are only good either with or without the ball, which is a problem in a 2. 

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It depends, personally I favour a system that uses three central midfielders, generally Monk favours two. We already have four, but as you say, Hunt has very little first team experience, so do we put him back in the U23s? We are unlikely to have more than two players for every position, except for maybe goalkeepers. If we can only sign one in this department, I’d rather it be someone younger than Irvine

I'd rather we didn't have Monk as manager or have him at least consider playing a midfield 3 every now and again to get more out of Bannan and Luongo. Irvine is better than Pelupessy

2 minutes ago, malek said:

If we sign him, it wouldn't be to compete with Pelupessy, but Luongo and be improvement on Kieran Lee. Irvine is a player who did really well for that one season Burton spent in The Championship and then was very average (at best) for 3 seasons at Hull.

Again, I didn't "talked up" Mason earlier in the week, but tried to offer bit of perspective. First thing I posted about him was how I'm not "his biggest fan". I stated how it could be possible that we will look to bring in 2 or 3 strikers in the Summer, how hard it is to find right ones and how Bennett is nowhere near as catastrophic option as some posters were making it out to be.

So you are not his biggest fan and he has a goals per game record as a striker that is probably worse than Irvine's but you think he would be a better signing. This despite hardly any starts at this level while Irvine has been a regular. I'm not saying Irvine is a world beater but he is better than we have got currently. 

Hopefully there will be better options for us to consider but if that is the case it certainly also applies to Bennett. 

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I'm not sure what depends, I asked, if you are suggesting that midfield four is a reason not to sign a proven midfielder on a free?

I'm also confused as to why you think your preferred system makes a difference but if we are playing with a three it makes signing someone like this even easier.

Where has the two players per position think come from? I may well have missed the interview or release stating this. Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

If football is going forward with more subs having a bigger squad makes sense and getting good quality players in on frees is a must for me, esp with how much work the manager has.

Edited by 2soon

Guest wilyfox

Jackson Irvine 

It’s with great disappointment that I have to prematurely thank you Hull City fans for your truly amazing support over the last 3 years. I gave my all every time I played, which I was fortunate to do over 100 times. I wish everyone at the club all the very best for the future🔸◾

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by wilyfox

11 minutes ago, 2soon said:

I'm not sure what depends, I asked, if you are suggesting that midfield four is a reason not to sign a proven midfielder on a free?

I'm also confused as to why you think your preferred system makes a difference but if we are playing with a three it makes signing someone like this even easier.

Where has the two players per position think come from? I may well have missed the interview or release stating this. Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

If football is going forward with more subs having a bigger squad makes sense and getting good quality players in on frees is a must for me, esp with how much work the manager has.

If we don’t have room for him, it doesn’t matter whether he’s free or not. Two players for every position is generally the norm in football Maybe the emphasis might be on bigger squads, but I doubt it somehow

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you are not his biggest fan and he has a goals per game record as a striker that is probably worse than Irvine's but you think he would be a better signing. This despite hardly any starts at this level while Irvine has been a regular. I'm not saying Irvine is a world beater but he is better than we have got currently. 

Hopefully there will be better options for us to consider but if that is the case it certainly also applies to Bennett. 

Hate to repeat myself, but I will try once more...

Irvine is very average midfielder who had one really good season 4 years ago for relegated Burton. He won't be replacement for Kieran Lee (from his best days) or any improvement on Massimo Luongo. Also, he is supposed to be on big wages at Hull.

Mason Bennett again is an average forward, but if we end up looking to bring in 2 or 3 strikers in the Summer he could be an option. It is hard to find one striker good enough to play at level, never mind 3. Guess his wages would be much lower then those Irvine would ask for.

Ideally I wouldn't bring neither here, but I would easier accept 23 years old Bennet on humble wages as one of forwards in our rotation then Irvine as one addition to our midfield, supposed to improve us.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, malek said:

Hate to repeat myself, but I will try once more...

Irvine is very average midfielder who had one really good season 4 years ago for relegated Burton. He won't be replacement for Kieran Lee (from his best days) or any improvement on Massimo Luongo. Also, he is supposed to be on big wages at Hull.

Mason Bennett again is an average forward, but if we end up looking to bring in 2 or 3 strikers in the Summer he could be an option. It is hard to find one striker good enough to play at level, never mind 3. Guess his wages would be much lower then those Irvine would ask for.

Ideally I wouldn't bring neither here, but I would easier accept 23 years old Bennet on humble wages as one of forwards in our rotation then Irvine as one addition to our midfield, supposed to improve us.

What do you class as big wages? From what I have seen it is suggested he is on around £8K, which like it or not is cheap by our standards. 

The fact he has played consistently at this level for 4 seasons is more than we have got from anyone but Bannan, all of our other midfielders are either not as good or injury prone during their time with us. You say he has had one good season yet Hull pick him regularly and wanted to keep him. Hull have been average as a whole during his time, he is not the type of player that is going to stand out by pulling the team up on his own but could be a consistent performer. Why do you say he hasn't been any good for them?

If Mason Bennett is what you would class an average striker than I shudder what stats make you a poor striker at this level, it's not as if he has an all round game that stands out in terms of holding the ball up or providing chances to fall back on. 

As I say I hope we would do better than both but Irvine has a better record at this level without having to take account of the added controversies that Bennett has brought upon himself of late.

Edited by Guest