Stephen Bywater

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 08.30.09.jpg

As Stephen Bywater is released from his club and announces his retirement from football I thought it apt that we had a thread to celebrate his time with us and look at his career at Sheffield Wednesday.

Did you rate him? What were your thoughts of him as a player?

Owlstalk Shop

He was the right goalkeeper at the right time. Every successful team needs a character in the dressing room and he was it. Wasn’t he the person the started the whole MASSIVE thing by phoning up football heaven every Monday and saying it every other word.

I remember in the 4-4 draw with Huddersfield he had 2 chances to slow the game down and kill it off in the late stages. Instead he tried to kick the ball out of play. On both occasions the ball just came back within seconds. Unfortunately they equalised on the second time. Never left a game so disappointed. 

1 hour ago, s63owl said:

He was the right goalkeeper at the right time. Every successful team needs a character in the dressing room and he was it. Wasn’t he the person the started the whole MASSIVE thing by phoning up football heaven every Monday and saying it every other word.

I remember in the 4-4 draw with Huddersfield he had 2 chances to slow the game down and kill it off in the late stages. Instead he tried to kick the ball out of play. On both occasions the ball just came back within seconds. Unfortunately they equalised on the second time. Never left a game so disappointed. 

I still can't work out why reda didn't pull Rhodes down when he was 40 yards from goal running through for their 4th goal 

• Like 2

Mad as a hatter. Cage fighter. Was a decent keeper for us in the promotion season.

He was on the bench that night a Leeds fan ran on the pitch and shoved Kirkland in the face. I would have absolutely loved if it was Bywater in goal instead. The Leeds fan wouldn’t have left the ground in one piece that’s for sure. 

• Like 3