Marcus Rashford

On 15/06/2020 at 12:57, sMacLean said:

Has actually done things, great stuff. Wouldn't get tied up in Govt decisions though, there is a reason he is a footballer not someone making policy.

He's shown himself more capable of driving government policy than the government so I'd firmly disagree. Maybe if there were more "normal" people in government we'd have a more equal society.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

I've had a dig or two at footballers in general over the past few months, great to see a player deserving of a far more positive light. Well done Marcus for using your position for the benefit of so many and making the government see sense. 

14 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Obviously, the right-wing contrarian arsehole brigade are out on Twitter.

fizz me, I hate sharing the same planet as some people.

Off to spend my child’s vouchers on a new TV and some Stella for the football tonight.

At least gov regulations won’t allow Jamie Oliver to come and measure whether the TV is poverty enough.

23 hours ago, SiJ said:

Ah, they're just tw@ts. 

Moaning about taxpayers money etc. 

I get the argument that people shouldn't have kids if they cant afford them but it completely ignores that peoples circumstances can change (particularly at the moment) and the kids never made that decision so should not suffer for it. 

Katie Hopkins having a pop at him online the woman is a caricature of herself!

On 17/06/2020 at 16:04, Gargoyle said:

Yes I will.

What Marcus Rashford has done has restored my faith in humanity. Coming from such a poor background and using his fame to influence government to change policy on more help for the poorest in society is the best action I have seen from a top sportsperson in a very long time. Yes we know plenty of others give to charity etc, it goes without saying but at 22 his maturity and compassion are way beyond his years.

Now, compare that with Sterling doing just what is stated. Danny Rose is another one. Constantly whining about racism in football. Yes we know it still exists and shouldn't, there's more than enough coverage every day. Neither have helped themselves in the past, Sterling having a gun tattooed on his leg when his father was shot dead seems to be the strangest thing to do when gun crime is rife in the country, and Rose saying he hates football and can't wait until he's retired? Well do it now, get a job as a bus driver or buy a shop or go into business, you must be able to afford to quit by now! 

Delli Alli is another player who seems to act far more quickly than his brain works, putting jokes on snapchat and the effect Covid as on asians, isn't that racist or does it only count one way? Are Sterling and Rose going to publicly condemn Alli?

So back to Marcus Rashford, who in my opinion is a magnificent young man. After his upbringing he'd be entitled to be a bit smug now he's loaded but it, for me, shows what a fantastic job his parents and particularly his mother have done.

Can't praise him highly enough.

Why is there a need to dig out someone like Raheem Sterling and compare him to Rashford in terms of his social impact and approach?

A couple in this thread imply that Sterling is just a mouthpiece that talks a lot but doesn't actually do anything? Why would anyone feel the need to say this without knowing the facts and single out Sterling in this way?

A quick internet search would help to discover that Sterling has done plenty of socially positive things but that just doesn't fit with the narrative for some.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-take-a-bow-the-twitter-thread-that-reflects-the-true-raheem-sterling-20181210