Finance experts "The problem is NOT how money is distributed within the English game"

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Rugby fans said the exact same thing

Look what happened there 

What has happened in 2nd division rugby? Do you know what effect a salary cap has had on the 2nd division? Do you think it might be too simplistic to compare the structure of rugby in this country to football?

There are several ways that football financial model can go and they are dependent on many variables.

In an unregulated world the richest will dominate generally; save for the odd exception like Leicester. 

If FIFA, UEFA, EPL, FA and EFL truly want to narrow the gap to create some sort of equality then do it and impose heavy penalties - not just fines.

I do suspect that the big clubs will hold too much power for the authorities to truly control this side of the game. If they do, I think they'll be breakaway leagues/associates where big media companies step in to take a stake and therefore, set the tone. If this ultimately happened I won't really care as it's been drifting this way for a long time now. There used to be a closer level playing field; now it's massive - we end up patting ourselves on the back because we held Man C to a 0-1 loss at home in the FA Cup having had less than 20% possession and no shots. It's not football I want to see or celebrate.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Rugby fans said the exact same thing

Look what happened there 

Are top-flight revenues in rugby on a par with football? Different stratosphere. Premier league revenues set the tone. Any changes MUST impact top-tier first in football, otherwise it'll create more probs than solutions. 

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

70% wage cap with any team caught breaching it getting immediately relegated = problem sorted immediately

What about clubs who use creative accounting and loopholes to falsely increase their turnover? 

It's just FFP but in a different form tbh.

28 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Money is a lot different between the two though isnt is. And you would never get Premier league clubs to agree to it.

And as we know the premier league call the shots over the FA and EFL.  The tail is wagging the dog. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Animis said:

There are several ways that football financial model can go and they are dependent on many variables.

In an unregulated world the richest will dominate generally; save for the odd exception like Leicester. 

If FIFA, UEFA, EPL, FA and EFL truly want to narrow the gap to create some sort of equality then do it and impose heavy penalties - not just fines.

I do suspect that the big clubs will hold too much power for the authorities to truly control this side of the game. If they do, I think they'll be breakaway leagues/associates where big media companies step in to take a stake and therefore, set the tone. If this ultimately happened I won't really care as it's been drifting this way for a long time now. There used to be a closer level playing field; now it's massive - we end up patting ourselves on the back because we held Man C to a 0-1 loss at home in the FA Cup having had less than 20% possession and no shots. It's not football I want to see or celebrate.

I would happily see the big prem clubs sod off and form a European super league and take sky with them. Then maybe the rest can reorganise and return the game to what it was before greed took over. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I would happily see the big prem clubs sod off and form a European super league and take sky with them. Then maybe the rest can reorganise and return the game to what it was before greed took over. 

Nobody in the world can ***** about Sky if they have a Sky TV package

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Agreed - it's going to happen at some point. There's a 18-club supper-league just waiting to split off and play when they want. I even think the players playing in this league for £200/week won't even play for their country, because the risks and clashes with the super-league fixtures will be too great. We already have players 'retiring' from international football to prolong their club career - this never used to happen.

Media is controlling all sport - look at the Fury / Joshua fight. Openly brokered by a widely recognized international criminal with Sky support. There is no way that any limp-wristed authorities like FIFA/Uefa/FA will ever stop this kind of power. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whatdial said:

Worked well in rugby for Saracens

It certainly did work well! Saracens intentionally broke the salary cap and suffered the consequences. They got massively punished with a points deduction which resulted in relegation. Serves them right, no sympathy at all.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

They advise football.

Therefore it's very very relevant that they've said it

It is good its being debated but that's not the hard bit.

How does it happen in the real live world  with Premiership parachute payments?

They quote Premiership Rugby as a good example. And it is but it is master of its own destiny. EFL is a poodle to the Premiership gravy train.

Edited by Nero

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

70% wage cap with any team caught breaching it getting immediately relegated = problem sorted immediately

70% wage caps with teams coming down from the PL with £50M handouts for 3 seasons is not fair competition.

11 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

It certainly did work well! Saracens intentionally broke the salary cap and suffered the consequences. They got massively punished with a points deduction which resulted in relegation. Serves them right, no sympathy at all.

The problem is the premier league wield more power than the governing body, the FA because of the money involved. What needs to happen is the FA to grow some balls instead of just sitting there and letting the premier league destroy the game. 

34 minutes ago, trev said:

What about clubs who use creative accounting and loopholes to falsely increase their turnover? 

It's just FFP but in a different form tbh.

Agree, but if correctly controlled, i.e. wage budget based on agreed income from the year before, not estimated income, more controllable. 

As has been said though, all irrelevant as EPL won't accept it and the EFL wont have the balls to stand up for their members. 

Edited by striker

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I'm confused by this response

Where did I say to keep the parachute payments?

Good luck implementing any salary cap while stopping parachute payments. As has been said, it is healthy to have a discussion around this but the EFL dances to the PL tune and parachute payments are unlikely to disappear any time soon.

1 hour ago, akbuk said:

Parachute payments need to be only used to buy contracts make people redundant etc and that rule needs to be made .

Yep there needs to be either a rule that’s says what they can be spent on (eg Not incoming players salaries/fees or extending contracts) OR a system where they are not required.